The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 12, 2018, 09:56 PM   #26
Pathfinder45

You can also shoot through a stack of old automobile tires.... But there goes your mobility. My favorite 22LR ammo is standard velocity, subsonic. It's more accurate and quieter than the high-velocity stuff, but still probably louder than acceptable for this particular situation. It can be silenced with a suppressor, and that may be your best option. But suppressors are more heavily regulated, even if legal in one's jurisdiction, than I am willing to deal with. That makes the CCI Quiet an attractive option.
Old February 12, 2018, 10:18 PM   #27
briandg

Whit is correct that covers on both ends will also block some sound. I've seen them. They work.
Old February 12, 2018, 11:43 PM   #28
TheGunGeek

Since a suppressor is out of the question for now, and others have already mentioned CCI Quiet, the only other item I'll add is the bolt. Volquartsen does make a bolt for the 10/22 to properly cycle the quiet round.

It sounds like this is the best route for now, until a suppressor is in the budget.
Old February 13, 2018, 09:08 AM   #29
briandg

There are videos online of English shooters using 17hrm in suppressed rifles. Good Lord, it's a pop. Rimfire with a good suppressor is probably going to go unnoticed at 100feet unless the neighbors are listening for it and standing outside waiting. behind any sort of barrier, such as a privacy fence, it is possible that it can't be heard at all.

When you do start shooting through your sound baffles, maybe you could consider a set of five foot wind bells. Subsonic rounds truly will be invisible among the bells. I realize that the wind bells are not a perfect fit for everyone.
Old February 13, 2018, 11:55 AM   #30
bassJAM1

I live a mile from a gun range, so I hear gun every single evening. I also shoot at my house, and my neighbors are cool with it.

Still, there's evenings when I hear them outside and I often choose then to plink with CCI Quiet's off my rear patio while enjoying a brew instead of shooting something louder. They aren't as accurate as Standard Velocity rounds, but I can still ping 1" steel targets from 40 yards.
Old February 14, 2018, 09:09 AM   #31
WolfTraps

Having shot 22 Silhouettes, low velocity ammo seems to be your solution.
As for your neighbor concern about live fire.. it would be anyone's fear of a stray projectile racing across putting them in grave danger.
Solution, go to a indoor/outdoor range.
Long barrel at least 20 plus will be nuff to let loose rounds without letting the neighborhood know there's live fire going on.
BTW, nice prompt pulling the Liberal chain, which I believe was the purpose of this thread.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:33 AM   #32
the possum

Here's another idea. Find a scrap board, a handful of nails, and a hammer. When you're about to shoot, go out in plain view of the neighbors' and start aimlessly pounding nails into the board. If you have a power saw of some sort, so much the better- run it intermittently as well. Then when ya go in the back yard and start shooting, they'll probably just dismiss the sound as you hammering- keep working that saw while you're loading mags as well. Problem solved.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:24 AM   #33
higgite

Do your neighbors mow their lawn with a gasoline powered mower? If so, shoot while they are mowing and then ask them if they heard you. If not, problem solved. They probably make more noise than you do.