The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 27, 2017, 11:25 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

What suppressor should I go with

After years of internal debate, I'm finally going to get a suppressor. Looking for some advice on which one to get and what I was looking at so far. I would like it to be:
-Multi caliber (namely 300 Blackout/.308, 5.56, and 9mm pistol)
-Light weight (around 15 oz, give or take 2 oz)
-Easy to maintain/clean
-Around $1000 or less

The primary gun it'll be for is my 300 blackout AR pistol, but would like the ability to put it on some of my other guns if I want. The top 3 I was looking at are SilencerCo's Hybrid, Griffin Armament's Paladin (Alpha), and Griffin Armament's Optimus. These three seemed to meet what I'm looking for, except I'm not sure if you can fully take apart the Hybrid like the other two for complete cleaning. I'm leaning towards Griffin Armament, but everywhere I look is backordered for who knows how long. Anybody have good/bad experiences with any of these three? What other choices are there? Thanks!
Old June 27, 2017, 11:38 AM   #2
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue711 View Post
After years of internal debate, I'm finally going to get a suppressor. Looking for some advice on which one to get and what I was looking at so far. I would like it to be:

-Multi caliber (namely 300 Blackout/.308, 5.56, and 9mm pistol)

-Light weight (around 15 oz, give or take 2 oz)

-Easy to maintain/clean

-Around $1000 or less

The primary gun it'll be for is my 300 blackout AR pistol, but would like the ability to put it on some of my other guns if I want. The top 3 I was looking at are SilencerCo's Hybrid, Griffin Armament's Paladin (Alpha), and Griffin Armament's Optimus. These three seemed to meet what I'm looking for, except I'm not sure if you can fully take apart the Hybrid like the other two for complete cleaning. I'm leaning towards Griffin Armament, but everywhere I look is backordered for who knows how long. Anybody have good/bad experiences with any of these three? What other choices are there? Thanks!

Unless I'm missing something the Alpha/Paladin isn't 9mm compatible.

I ran into the same decision and decided that a 30cal can was a better choice (for me) and will pick up a 9mm can once the funds are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 27, 2017, 11:48 AM   #3
TrueBlue711

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something the Alpha/Paladin isn't 9mm compatible.
I think you're right, but I'm least worried about suppressing my pistols at the moment. So I guess I can exclude 9mm on my list.
Old June 27, 2017, 03:36 PM   #4
rjrivero

Liberty Mystic X. It fits all your criteria.
Old June 28, 2017, 08:45 AM   #5
Mobuck

I use a Harvestor 30 cal on .223, 6.8, and 300AAC. We have a matched pair so I don't have a different type to compare effectiveness but it does seem there's some compromise when using the bigger bore can on the .223. I'll find out as soon as I find time to pick up my dedicated .223 can at the dealer.
With sub-sonic ammo, the 300 is very quiet.
Old June 29, 2017, 11:34 AM   #6
TrueBlue711

I think I've been sold on the SilencerCo Omega. Since I'm discounting handgun, this seems to fit what I'm looking for. It's really going to be used on my 300 Blackout the most and then my .308 with 5.56 every so often. Another thing that really sold me is SilencerCo has an amazing discount for military/police called the SPEQ program. I don't think any of the other companies come close to the SPEQ discount.
Old June 29, 2017, 01:25 PM   #7
9x19

I've been pleased with my Omega... I also have an AAC 556SD for my 5.56, so haven't tried the Omega on one, but it works great on my .300 AAC chambered guns.
Old June 29, 2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Unconventional

On paper, the Silencerco Hybrid seems to be one of the best do-it-all cans. I don't know about in practice as I don't have one, though a good friend does.

It can handle all the calibers you've specified, but can also handle .45 caliber chamberings, including .45-70 and .458 SOCOM. You didn't mention the need for this, but it could be very handy should you become interested in suppressing a bigger bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue711 View Post
-Easy to maintain/clean
If you plan to get just one and only one can, it seems to fit the bill However, I'm fairly certain it cannot be disassembled any further than removing the end cap and attachment adapter, i.e. no removal of the baffle stack. Rifle caliber suppressors are seldom able to be disassembled.

That said, AMTAC Suppressors out of Salt Lake City makes rifle suppressors with a stainless steel monocore baffle system that can be removed for cleaning. Most of their suppressors are reflex, over-the-barrel type suppressors. The down side is that these suppressors are pretty heavy, being an all steel construction.

Sorry for throwing this all out there after you seemed settled on the Omega. Keep us posted.
Old September 26, 2017, 04:13 PM   #9
TrueBlue711

As mentioned, I ended up going with the SilencerCo Omega for my rifles (300 BLK, .308, and 2x 5.56s). While I was going through the process at the gun store, I saw they had the Griffin Armament Checkmate suppressor for .22, which I have been eyeballing as well. It had a small scratch on the outside from a customer dropping it, so it was on sale. Couldn't pass it up and got that too for both of my .22s...don't tell my wife haha
Next on the list is one for my pistols (though it will be a long time before I will get it). I have .45, .40 and 9mm for pistol calibers and I'm not sure which one I plan to suppress, if not multiple. I'm assuming that it would be a good idea to do what I did with my rifle suppressor: get the bigger one so I can put it on all my other calibers. Anybody have a favorite .45 cal pistol suppressor? I'm a fan of quick detach systems (both the Omega and Checkmate I'm getting are QD suppressors). Are there any for pistol or are they all direct thread?
Old September 26, 2017, 05:20 PM   #10
Sharkbite

Quote:
I have .45, .40 and 9mm for pistol calibers and I'm not sure which one I plan to suppress,
Here is what i found....

I was using a Octane 45 for this comparison, YMMV.

The 45acp suppressed pretty well.
The 40s&w was horrible. Lots of back pressure. So much that it felt like getting sand blasted in the face with each shot. No way I'd shoot it without eye pro
The 9mm was a joy with 147gn (subsonic) ammo

The 9mm was so good suppressed, i bought a dedicated 9mm can that now lives on my HD pistol. That can is a AAC TiRant 9s. A mini can, but still takes enough of the edge off to shoot indoors if needed.
Old September 27, 2017, 09:30 AM   #11
TrueBlue711

Quote:
The 9mm was so good suppressed, i bought a dedicated 9mm
That's good to hear, I was thinking about suppressing my 9mm first (Sig 226). I'm just wondering if I would plan on suppressing the .40 or .45 down the road. My .45 is a 1911 with a compensator already on it, so I don't think I'll suppress that. But my .40 is the S&W M&P and I was really considering suppressing that one too. Interesting that you had really bad results suppressing your 40. Have you heard others having this problem too?
Old September 27, 2017, 09:26 PM   #12
Mobuck

You'll have plenty of time to change you mind 2 or 3 times before your initial choice lands in your hands.
Old September 28, 2017, 09:41 AM   #13
smee78

I went with a Octane 45 and am verry happy with it. Lots of fun with my 45's and just as fun with my 9's. I wanted a can I could run on a good number of guns and do not regret my purchase. You can even get the 9mm end cap for the Octane 45 and it will make 9mm even quieter due to the volume of the can. I also have heard the 40 does not do well suppressed due to the hi pressure and back blast effect. For my first can I went with a 22 and it is super Hollywood quiet, most fun you can have if you ask me.
Old October 10, 2017, 07:10 PM   #14
bandanabandit1

An interesting can to check out that I'd recommend is the Hybrid by SilencerCo. It handles anything up to .46 caliber including magnums and even .45-70. However I'm sure you will be very satisfied with the Octane.