The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2000, 08:21 PM   #1
Kenneth L. Walters

I just got one of the RCBS new progressives. It's neat. The setup is VERY easy and their strip primers make priming effortless. Nice machine!
Old February 4, 2000, 05:44 PM   #2
Guy B. Meredith

Ken,

Where did you get the press, what is the asking price, where can I obtain detailed information?

The press is still not on the RCBS website.
Old February 4, 2000, 06:56 PM   #3
Kenneth L. Walters

I saw an ad for it in a recent American Rifleman so I called their 800 number and ordered one. I think that I got one of the first. Since I've occasionally written about RCBS products in the gun magazines, I probably got a better price than you might. Also I don't know if they sell direct. If they do not, I'm sure that Huntington's could get it for you. They have a web site but you'd probably have to call them to get something this new.

I REALLY like it. I use to collect progressives and have probably had and used at least three dozen. The old Star is still my first choice but unfortunately they are all but forgotten now. This RCBS is excellent. Easy to set up and easy to use. Best of all the strip primers making priming effortless. Priming was always the problem area on a progressive and I think that this time someone has solved the problem.

One caution. The strip primers can be bought but, well, I haven't found anyone who carries them. For that reason the initial machines are being sold with empty strips and a strip filler. You aren't going to get enough strips so expect to have to order more. Also you want to load the strips carefully. If you don't then you can have priming problems. Still this is a NEAT solution to the progressives one real historic problem.
Old February 4, 2000, 11:00 PM   #4
Assay Annie

We ordered ours from Lock Stock & Barrel at 1-800-228-7925, as they were ready now to ship. Retail price is near $450, Cabela's at $370 and the aforementioned at $330.

Quickly: 5 station die head
Easy die head change over
Case actuated powder measure and cast iron construction

We will be real busy having fun next week!!

We have been using the APS primer system for 2 years on a Rockchucker press, and like the system very much.

The RCBS Pro 2000 is manual indexing
Old February 4, 2000, 11:04 PM   #5
MontaniSemperLiberi

Do you consider the new RCBS an improvment over the Dillon 550B or 650 version?? I would assume the RCBS works on a similar system, but is it constructed of seemingly better materials, workmanship, ease of operation, die changes, etc. etc. Would appreciate and respect your findings.
Thanks
Old February 4, 2000, 11:11 PM   #6
Kenneth L. Walters

When I collected progressives I had a lot of Mikes machines. If memory serves there was a 350, 450 (two versions I think), 550 and 1050. I really loved his 450 Jr. Must have had six of those. All Mikes machines were good and each new model got even better. About the only one I wasn't in love with was the 1050. It wasn't bad but the corresponding Star, I thought, was better.

Is the RCBS better than the 650? I don't know. That is one of the few Dillon's I've never owned. I never say automatic indexing that I loved so I stayed away from this machine.

Is the RCBS better than the 550? I think that the two are pretty evenly matched but the primer strips are an advantage. Also I like the powder measure better. On the RCBS is isn't part of the replaceable tool head. I didn't think initially that I'd like that but I do. One powder measure is all you need.

You obviously can not go wrong with a Dillon but I think that RCBS has a VERY good machine here.
Old February 8, 2000, 01:38 AM   #7
Reg

I was having enough trouble trying to decide between the Hornaday AP and the Dillon 550B, now RCBS is making it even more difficult! I have been using a Lee turret for a few years with fine results, just want to increase the production rate a bit.
I have been researching progressives presses for well over a year now and think I'm ready to take the plunge. What should I get? Even after reading every ad, article, website, newsgroup, etc, I'm still unsure which one to pick.
The prices that I have found on each press, delivered and ready to reload for one caliber (not including dies) are as follows:
- Dillon 550B $280
- Hornady AP $319 (includes a die set)
- RCBS Pro2000 $372

For some reason, I have been leaning towards the RCBS (maybe just because it is new). But based on the prices I've found, is it really worth spending over $90 more for the new RCBS than the tried and true 550B? Am I wrong for not giving the Hornady much attention?
Should I just get a life, flip and coin, buy one and get on to the reloading?
This will be my "last" press and I want to make sure that I pick the best one for me.
Oh yeah... I currently load for 357SIG, 9mm, and 223. Will soon be doing loads for either 7mm Rem Mag or 30-06; of course in lesser quantity than the first three calibers.
My main criteria is smooth, exact operation. I want settings to be accurate and repeatable. Would like simple and easy caliber conversions. The manual versus auto-indexing is not a big issue (thinking I may actually prefer manual)
This thread is the first I have seen where someone has actually used the new RCBS.
I guess I am a little leary just because it is brand new an therefore little is known about it. Based on your experience with it, and the price differences, do you think I should still look seriously at the RCBS? ..or just go with the Dillon?
...oh, if only all confusion in life was this trivial !!
I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Reg
Old February 8, 2000, 11:42 AM   #8
Kenneth L. Walters

I REALLY hate auto indexing. Far more trouble then it is worth. I've had two of the Hornady presses and this was one of the reasons I didn't like them. I also really like removable tool heads. The Hornady doesn't have that either. Oh I know that you can remove the dies without disturbing their adjustment but that really isn't the same thing. Between the Dillon RL550 and RCBS, I like the primer feed on the RCBS much better. Would I pay more for it? Yes. I would think that you ought to be able to find a better price for the RCBS. Did you try Huntington's?
Old February 8, 2000, 01:07 PM   #9
Reg

Ken,
Thanks for the reply! I'll give Huntington's a try. My price may seem a little deceptive, here's the way I came up with it:
Pro 2000 press = $330
Shellplate = $22
Shipping = $20
Thus, the total comes to $372. I'll keep looking around for a better price, but not many places have it yet. Thanks again for your feedback.
Old February 8, 2000, 06:51 PM   #10
alan

With an old 550, that I've had for 20 years, I can load roughly 300 rounds per hour. Some claim more, maybe I'm just slow. Refilling primer magazine is something of a pain, but I can live with that, and the "lack" of automatic advance isn't fatal. None of the above is meant to knock this new RCBS press, which I have not seen.

As to RCBS's powder measure being "better" than Dillons, I wore one of Dillons out, and they replaced it at no charge, and quickly. I recalibrate, using a good scale, every time I reload, perhaps a waste of time, but it makes me feel better.

RCBS has always made a good product, except perhaps for their long gone Green Machine, I still have one of their Junior presses, that I use now and then. I imagine that their new press will turn out to be a good machine too.
Old February 13, 2000, 08:00 PM   #11
Guy B. Meredith

Ken,

One complaint I've heard about Dillon is that it is necessary to buy enough extras to make the press price deceiving. How is the RCBS in this area? What extras need be purchased and how does this compare to the Dillon presses?

Also, the Hornady Lock n Load AP expands the case mouth as a step separate from the powder drop. Can it be set up to do both in one step as on the Dillon? How is the RCBS set up?

What is your thought on separate bullet seating and crimping steps, how is this addressed on the RCBS?

How does the RCBS powder measure accuracy compare to the Dillon 550B and 650 and the Hornady?
Old February 13, 2000, 10:15 PM   #12
Kenneth L. Walters

Maybe because I so lover the Star progressive where caliber conversion costs exceeded $350 I've never been much concerned about the cost of caliber conversion on the Dillon. On both the Dillon and RCBS you'd need a shell plate and a tool head. The Dillon has the powder measure set up on the plate. The RCBS does not. The powder measure on the RCBS is screwed directly into the top of the press and is not part of the removable tool head. A clever arrangement actually. I don't remember how the Dillon works but on the RCBS the powder measure does not expand the case mouth. You have to use a die to do that. There are four die positions on the RCBS (not counting the powder measure which isn't part of the head anyway). I much prefer separate bullet seating followed by crimping. Just easier to set up, I think.
Old February 18, 2000, 03:28 PM   #13
quadcab

Natchez Feb./March sales flier has the new RCBS Pro 2000 for $299.95. Extra die plate for $13.95 and shell plate for $24.21. Quadcab
Old February 18, 2000, 09:30 PM   #14
Assay Annie

Set up the press 2 days ago, so very easy. We are glad to have waited for this one with the interchangeable tool heads and the aps primer system.

Had to order more brass today, this machine is wonderful. With the 4 hole toolhead plus the powder drop we can now easily use our Redding Competion die seater and their profile crimper.

Lock/Stock & Barrel prices on the shellplate $22.25 and die (tool) plate $12.75.
Old February 18, 2000, 09:37 PM   #15
Assay Annie

Forgot to mention that the shipping weight for the press is 51 pounds. Make sure your reloading table is strong !
Old February 20, 2000, 10:41 PM   #16
arnie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Assay Annie:
Forgot to mention that the shipping weight for the press is 51 pounds. Make sure your reloading table is strong ![/quote]

do the shell plates for the ammomaster/piggyback II work on the new press ? does it come with a powder measure ?
Old February 21, 2000, 02:54 AM   #17
Assay Annie

Yes the shell plates are the same as those for the Ammomaster.

The powder measure comes with the press. It has a micrometer adjustment and comes with 2 cylinders; one large (5 to 99 grains) and one small (0 to 50 grains). The powder measure is case actuated.

My press also came with the strip loader, retail around $18.
Out here in Nevada and in Idaho I can get the aps strips already loaded. Not too common yet so I buy a case at a time, 5000 primers.

I set up the press by myself as my husband was away on business, yes it is easy. Go slow and read the directions carefully.
Old February 22, 2000, 01:09 AM   #18
Guy B. Meredith

Ken and Annie,

What are the stages on the RCBS and how can they be set up? Options? How would you set it up to use the lock-out die?

Like I posted elsewhere I like to swim upstream so was considering the Hornady, but am now interested in comparing the RCBS to it.

Please enlighten me soonest--my reloader FFL is moving out of state and I can't afford market prices at the rate I burn the stuff.
Old February 22, 2000, 09:04 PM   #19
Guy B. Meredith

Reg,

You mention having found a Hornady LNL AP with a die set for $319. Is that a typo and did you mean shellplate? Who offers it at this price?
Old February 22, 2000, 10:35 PM   #20
Assay Annie

Here is the operation sequence as best I can explain.

Right hand-press lever operation.
Left hand-empty brass placement
-bullet placement
-manual indexing

Press comes with-bullet tray attached to press base
-2 hanging bins off left ftront of press;one for empty brass and one for completed cartridges ejected off the press.

Station 1: size and deprime, note press has an aluminium tube curving down to a plastic capped bottle to catch spent pimers, no misses so far!
Station 2: expand case mouth and prime
Station 3: powder charge thrown, remember it is case actuated. Powder measure is on the press not the toolhead.
Station 4: bullet seating
Station 5: bullet crimp
This is what I am doing loading for pistol.

Alternatives:For Station 4 for rifle-empty station or
-powder checker die
Alternatives: For Station 4 pistol
-lock-out die then in Station 5 seat and crimp with the same die.

Hope this helps a little. So far we have only loaded for pistol I am sure Ken could describe these sequences more completely. By the way,the aps prming adjustment was a real snap and works so smoothly; even better than the press mounted
unit that RCBS first put out.
Old February 23, 2000, 03:20 PM   #21
Reg

Guy,
That $319 price on the Hornady LNL AP is as I said with a die set included. Midway just had it on sale for that a month ago. Wideners sells it for that on a regular basis.. shipping included.
Old February 26, 2000, 01:02 PM   #22
Wyncote

Reg,

Where did you find a Dillon 550B for $280? $293 plus shipping is the cheapest I've foud it.

Thanks,
Wyncote

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reg:
I was having enough trouble trying to decide between the Hornaday AP and the Dillon 550B, now RCBS is making it even more difficult! I have been using a Lee turret for a few years with fine results, just want to increase the production rate a bit.
I have been researching progressives presses for well over a year now and think I'm ready to take the plunge. What should I get? Even after reading every ad, article, website, newsgroup, etc, I'm still unsure which one to pick.
The prices that I have found on each press, delivered and ready to reload for one caliber (not including dies) are as follows:
- Dillon 550B $280
- Hornady AP $319 (includes a die set)
- RCBS Pro2000 $372

For some reason, I have been leaning towards the RCBS (maybe just because it is new). But based on the prices I've found, is it really worth spending over $90 more for the new RCBS than the tried and true 550B? Am I wrong for not giving the Hornady much attention?
Should I just get a life, flip and coin, buy one and get on to the reloading?
This will be my "last" press and I want to make sure that I pick the best one for me.
Oh yeah... I currently load for 357SIG, 9mm, and 223. Will soon be doing loads for either 7mm Rem Mag or 30-06; of course in lesser quantity than the first three calibers.
My main criteria is smooth, exact operation. I want settings to be accurate and repeatable. Would like simple and easy caliber conversions. The manual versus auto-indexing is not a big issue (thinking I may actually prefer manual)
This thread is the first I have seen where someone has actually used the new RCBS.
I guess I am a little leary just because it is brand new an therefore little is known about it. Based on your experience with it, and the price differences, do you think I should still look seriously at the RCBS? ..or just go with the Dillon?
...oh, if only all confusion in life was this trivial !!
I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Reg
[/quote]

Old March 25, 2000, 12:42 PM   #23
Chap

Ken or Annie (or anyone else)

Can the RCBS Pro 2000 be used to load to load a single round without too much problems? The powder is case actuated (good), but how does the primer system work with no shell in that spot? Does the strip index to the next spot, or does it "wait" until a shell is loaded to transfer

Thanks

Old March 25, 2000, 12:57 PM   #24
Kenneth L. Walters

If there is no case the strip does not advance.
Old July 2, 2000, 01:43 AM   #25
Opihi

Reg,

Didn't see your reply. Can you share where you found the Dillion 550 for $280?

Thanks!

QUOTE]Originally posted by Reg:
Ken,
Thanks for the reply! I'll give Huntington's a try. My price may seem a little deceptive, here's the way I came up with it:
Pro 2000 press = $330
Shellplate = $22
Shipping = $20
Thus, the total comes to $372. I'll keep looking around for a better price, but not many places have it yet. Thanks again for your feedback.
[/QUOTE]