The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 25, 2015, 09:04 PM   #51
bbqncigars

You would have to get lucky to find one, but a good used S&W 2206 is a sweet handling pistol. I've got one with the four inch barrel, and always looking for a six. The 2206 is almost as accurate as my sixties model 41, but not as picky. The only downside is your index finger will get dirty next to your knuckle if you have big hands (barrel is below the recoil spring).
Old April 26, 2015, 06:39 AM   #52
Pilot

Find a five inch, bull barrel Mark II Target model, and call it a day. If you want, throw in some Volquartsen parts (trigger, sear) and you will be amazed.
Old April 26, 2015, 07:40 AM   #53
8MM Mauser

I love my Ruger MKII target model. Shoots like a champ, easy to handle. Recoil is simply not a word that applies to it. I usually shoot the same group as my Glock 19... and 4X the distance. I'm serious too, what I can do with a G19 at 10 yards I can replicate with the Ruger at 40.

I did a review of my Mark II about a year after getting it (which was a few years ago). You may find it helpful; i was really coming at it then from complete inexperience.

Old April 26, 2015, 08:32 AM   #54
veamon

If you up your budget another 150, you can buy an EAA witness for 300 shipped, and then drop in a 200 conversion kit and have 2 pistols.
Old April 26, 2015, 09:15 AM   #55
pete2

If you want a .22 handgun to hunt with why not a revolver, a single six is a better holster gun than any auto. You can even shoot shorts or shot loads in the revolver.
Old April 26, 2015, 05:40 PM   #56
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Find a five inch, bull barrel Mark II Target model, and call it a day. If you want, throw in some Volquartsen parts (trigger, sear) and you will be amazed.
Couldn't agree more! Though I have yet to add anything more than simple grips, even after nearly 30 years.

Old April 26, 2015, 07:37 PM   #57
jmstr

S&W 22 was too fat for my medium-smallish hands.

No Neos experience.

Ruger MKII vs 22/45: a toss up. I like the grip angle of the 22/45 better, but they are about equally reliable. Whichever fits your hand better and points more accurately is what I would get.

BUCKMARKs are underrated!

Trigger out of box on Buckmark puts the Rugers to shame. I had to throw in a Volquartsen Sear and a Clark hammer bushing to get the Ruger as smooth as the Buckmark was out of the box.

I have a buckmark with a spring modification and a Browning adjustable trigger [$35 in parts] and it is decidedly crisper, lighter and smoother than any of my Rugers. HOWEVER, it now requires so little trigger motion that I wouldn't holster-carry it. This is now one for the shooting range only, and people more experienced with firearms.

For field use, don't change the trigger on the Browning Buckmark Camper, just change out the spring, and you will have a gun that is on a par with the Rugers accuracy and reliability, but with a better trigger. Plus, the basic cleaning is simpler, as it has a slide that locks back and allows a nylon brush across the face of the chamber and bolt, with gasses and debris escaping on both sides, instead of the single opening on the Ruger. Also, the trigger bar that activates the sear runs outside the frame [like High Standards, Walther P-38, Beretta 92, and (I think) colt woodsman]. This means the Buckmarks trigger doesn't 'gunk up' like my Rugers do.

I am NOT saying that the Buckmark is a completely superior pistol to the Ruger. I like the Ruger enough that I have more of them than Buckmarks. However, The buckmark has some great characteristics that deserve your attention.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at another Buckmark [or Ruger MK II].

MK III basically is a MK II with takedown complications and potential jamming points due to LCI and mag disconnect [the last two of which can be bypassed].

Stick to bull-barrels.

Good luck!
Old April 26, 2015, 09:05 PM   #58
doctor j

I'll throw in a vote for the Ruger "Mark x" series. Mine is so old that it predates the "Mark" nomenclature. I think it was called the Ruger "Standard", but don't hold me to that. When I do my part, it groups well. I bought it used around 40 to 45 years ago, and it still does the job.
Old April 27, 2015, 12:37 PM   #59
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I'll throw in a vote for the Ruger "Mark x" series. Mine is so old that it predates the "Mark" nomenclature. I think it was called the Ruger "Standard", but don't hold me to that. When I do my part, it groups well. I bought it used around 40 to 45 years ago, and it still does the job.
It was. Actual designation was RST-4 and RST-6, for Ruger Standard 4 and 6 inch barrel. I liked my RST-6, which was my first pistol ever, so much that I bought the Mark II (KMK-512) many years later. The Marks were the target models, (adjustable sights) of the standards.
Old April 29, 2015, 01:44 AM   #60
FlySubCompact

Sold Beretta Bobcat years ago. Wanted another .22 plinker later for a replacement. LGS had a cheap little Phoenix .22. Bought one of the long barreled target versions because Beretta did not offer the Bobcat with a long barrel. (A shame,BTW)

I have no complaints. It was my only .22 plinker for like 15 years until I noticed the slide cracked during a rare cleaning. . It came with a lifetime warranty, so I called Phoenix. They said "No problem." Sent me a shipping label in a few days. I sent it in. A brand new one arrived in about ten days. That was last year. It runs like the first one on a toxic diet of Thunderbolts.

I like it. It is small, more accurate than I am, is made in the US and that company is a thorn in the side of gun grabbers.

Last edited by FlySubCompact; April 29, 2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old April 29, 2015, 09:31 AM   #61
SgtGunner

My favorite .22 is a MkII from the early 80s. Its the heavy barrel 3.5" variant.
I also have a 1952 MkI target, both are amazing shooters and have been passed on to my son. The MkII has the Volquarsten competition kit installed.

Both are extremely well built, reliable and accurate.

Never had any luck with the S&W or Beretta rimfires. Absolute worst Ive ever handled was the Walther P22....yuck.

"Semper Fidelis"

"Life is too short to carry a little pop gun...Make mine .45ACP"
Old April 29, 2015, 12:31 PM   #62
gwpercle

My favorite was a model 41 S&W, I say was , because I purchased a Ruger MKII standard barrel model , third hand, that had a Millet SP-1 Red Dot mounted on it. Never shot one before and detached retina left me unable to see open iron sights. Had given up shooting. Dealer said put the dot on target and shoot, no sighting required...so I bought it.
Turns out the previous owner, unbeknown to the dealer, had sent it to Clark Custom Guns for dot sight mounting and trigger job..... As nice as the factory model 41 Smith is, the Clark Ruger shoots rings around it, I would have never believed a semi-auto Ruger trigger could be so sweet...it's like you put the dot on something and as you think about squeezing the shot...it goes bang and target is hit.
My advice is get any Ruger you like and then let Clark Custom work their magic on it...everybody owes themselves one really good , accurate sweet shooting 22
Gary
Old April 29, 2015, 08:23 PM   #63
Sevens

SgtGunner, I am having a hard time getting a mental picture of a 3.5" heavy barreled Ruger Mark II. Is that a typo, did you mean to say 5.5" barrel?
Old April 30, 2015, 07:00 AM   #64
stubbicatt

High Standard?

I know it isn't on your list, and sometimes they get a bit pricy, but I really like the High Standard Military models. Sweet triggers, reasonably reliable, accurate and pleasant to shoot, as is, with no modifications necessary.

Just a thought.
Old April 30, 2015, 09:36 AM   #65
jmstr

Stubbicatt, do you mean the military [grip] High Standards, that came out after 1965?

Or do you mean handguns like the High Standard HD Military, which they made in the 1940s, but had a slant grip?

I don't suppose you mean the High Standard HD or HD-USA, which were made for the US Military during WWII?
Old April 30, 2015, 09:49 AM   #66
SgtGunner

that was supposed to be 4 inch I was dismantling my 3.5 inch 1911 when I typed that.

"Semper Fidelis"

"Life is too short to carry a little pop gun...Make mine .45ACP"
Old April 30, 2015, 10:03 AM   #67
tranders

I have the Mark2 Target Model and love it. Shoots great and is reliable.

My only complaint is it's kind of a pain to take apart for cleaning.
Old April 30, 2015, 10:28 AM   #68
kutz

MK II
Old April 30, 2015, 11:08 PM   #69
Clark

I made my own scope mount for this 1953 Colt match target woodsman.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 1, 2015, 05:15 AM   #70
stubbicatt

Quote:
Said jmstr: Stubbicatt, do you mean the military [grip] High Standards, that came out after 1965?

Or do you mean handguns like the High Standard HD Military, which they made in the 1940s, but had a slant grip?

I don't suppose you mean the High Standard HD or HD-USA, which were made for the US Military during WWII?

The one on top in this photo is what I am referring to. As I understand it, they were designed to mimic the grip angle of the 1911 so they called them Military models. This one is 1968 production.

Very high quality pistols which seem to point and shoot instinctively for me. As a man once said, "the quality of an item is remembered long after price is forgotten."
Old May 1, 2015, 06:01 AM   #71
IKE

I'm fond of the Ruger MKI's and currently have three.

1. 4" std. blue barrel with factory fixed sights.

2. 5 1/2" blue bull barrel with factory adjustable sights.

3. 6 7/8" blue tapered bull barrel with factory adjustable sights.

I bought the 4" new in 1976 and have fired it quite a bit with never a problem.

The 5 1/2" and 6 7/8" I picked up used (but minty) in the last fifteen years or so and have not yet fired them......now that I'm recently retired I need to.
Old May 4, 2015, 06:30 PM   #72
Trooper Joe

My choice for the best 22 LR handguns

My new (to me) Beretta Model 71. The same gun the Israeli Massad used in the 70's.

Or, this nice Beretta 87 which I think is the best made auto loading pistol in 22 LR, ever made.

My eyes are pretty old but that 87 has taken a number of squirrels in Michigan.

Trooper Joe
Old May 4, 2015, 06:33 PM   #73
Scorpion8

None of those listed. I used Browning Buckmarks almost exclusively. Trust me, I have almost all of them, but the wife and I shoot Buckmarks in our rimfire league. Even over the Ruger 22/45 Mark III. There are a lot of good plinkers out there, but for serious work get a Buckmark.

Tags
.22lr , automatic , ruger , semi