The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 15, 2022, 08:01 AM   #1
WmMunny

Charter Arms .357 Mag Target Bulldog

My elderly neighbor asked me to help her sell her blue 4 inch Charter Arms .357 Mag Target Bulldog. She was disappointed by how little the LGS offered her.

The perfectly-functioning gun is clean as a whistle with no blue wear and has pristine factory wood grips. It appears to have been shot only very little.

I explained to her that revolvers are somewhat out of favor these days plus Charter is not the most in-demand brand-- so it might not bring as much as she hoped for. Nonetheless, there is a gun show near my deep south location later this month and I thought i'd walk it around and see what I can get.

Suggestions for an asking price?

Last edited by WmMunny; August 15, 2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old August 15, 2022, 09:05 AM   #2
Polinese

Do you have any pictures of it? How much is she looking for?
Old August 15, 2022, 11:54 AM   #3
WmMunny

I don't have it right now, she does-- so I can't post pix.

I don't know that she has a specific number in mind-- but the LGS offered her $110 which she called a ridiculous lowball. I told her I agreed.
Old August 15, 2022, 03:09 PM   #4
Super Sneaky Steve

Sell it on Gunbroker and you'll get $300-$500 easy.
Old August 17, 2022, 06:01 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMunny View Post
My elderly neighbor asked me to help her sell her blue 4 inch Charter Arms .357 Mag Target Bulldog. She was disappointed by how little the LGS offered her.

The perfectly-functioning gun is clean as a whistle with no blue wear and has pristine factory wood grips. It appears to have been shot only very little.

I explained to her that revolvers are somewhat out of favor these days plus Charter is not the most in-demand brand-- so it might not bring as much as she hoped for. Nonetheless, there is a gun show near my deep south location later this month and I thought i'd walk it around and see what I can get.

Suggestions for an asking price?
Age? Which iteration of the company is it from? City of manufacture on the barrel? The "Charter 2000" era guns don't have a good reputation, and there's folks that think the guns from the early period are particularly good.

Check gunbroker completed auctions for actual going price. No, she probably won't get that good a price for it.

---edit to add---

Right now I see two completed auctions on Gunborker. Both went for $325. One looks recent, the other looks like an older gun.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/937863535

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/939849355
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 18, 2022, 07:06 AM   #6
WmMunny

The owner said her late husband owned it "for a long time"-- and he's been gone a while.

The left side of the barrel is marked "TARGET BULLDOG .357 MAG." The right side says "CHARTER ARMS CORP. STRATFORD, CONN." The wood grips have Charter medallions inset and the s/n is 356XXX.

So I guess it's got some age on it-- not a recently manufactured gun.
Old August 18, 2022, 03:33 PM   #7
Carmady

That sn indicates an early Stratford gun from the mid-70s.
Old August 18, 2022, 05:26 PM   #8
mk70ss

In my opinion, the earlier guns are more valuable than the newer ones.
Old August 18, 2022, 06:31 PM   #9
kenny53

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/charter-arms-357-magnum/

Some new prices. They are a little more money than I would have thought. I have put finger prints on a couple and they feel solid.
Old August 19, 2022, 10:36 AM   #10
Drm50

Second rate firearms. I could see $300 for high condition CA 357. If bought as shooter, I don’t know about them having any collector demand. I suppose there is some who collect them. Dealer offered $110 is in business to make money not pay top dollar. It may be low but fair offer, how long will it sit at $300 in his case. New RA revolvers are close in class which makes a used CA a hard sell. You get much over $300 and you are approaching PD trade in prices on S&Ws.
Old August 19, 2022, 01:58 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

Could you double at $200? Probably really fast. But the pawn shop needs to do that too.

At $300? I would totally over look it.

It's going to take a person who wants that particular gun to pay nearly new prices.
Old August 19, 2022, 06:33 PM   #12
franco45

300 is a fair price.
Old August 19, 2022, 08:11 PM   #13
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
Second rate firearms. I could see $300 for high condition CA 357. If bought as shooter, I don’t know about them having any collector demand. I suppose there is some who collect them. Dealer offered $110 is in business to make money not pay top dollar. It may be low but fair offer, how long will it sit at $300 in his case. New RA revolvers are close in class which makes a used CA a hard sell. You get much over $300 and you are approaching PD trade in prices on S&Ws.
They are not second rate firearms. They have some q.c issues. Their God ones are dang good but their bad ones pretty bad. The lifetime warranty does make the "bad ones" sting a lot less.