The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 31, 2022, 05:15 AM   #1
powertube

Rossi 92 has to go: Which 1873?

Hey guys,

some years ago I bought a NIB Rossi 92 .357 as a christmas present for myself.

The first time I took it to the range I noticed the rough and stiff action.

Also after 500-700 rounds the ejector broke, so I dissasembled the rifle, polished the action affected areas and replaced the ejector and also the ejector spring. After that, the action was really slick, but still problems with feeding and cycling.

(Don't have to mention that the internals we're looking as they have been built by a blind crackhead on a bad trip)

So I disassembled it again, figured out that the fu***ng cartridge guides are the problem and carefully polished those again and again.

Now I'm able to cycle 7 of 10 rounds without issues, but the action will hang up here and there with some of the loads.

I know that lever actions (especially the 92) is OAL sensitive, so I've tried different lenghts and got to a point, where it will cycle at least 90% of the rounds without any flaws, but at this point the OAL is near at those of the .38 spec. specs.

so long story short:
I just don't want to reload at different length for this rifle, neither trying more different bullet types or something else. It just has to go.
Yesterday at the way home from the range I was really about to throw it in the river.

It has to go, and first of all i'm cured about the 92s, and I'm planning to get a 1873 (miroku)

Is there a model superior to others related to barrel length or type ? (short rifle vs carbine?)

Last edited by powertube; August 1, 2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old July 31, 2022, 10:49 AM   #2
taylorce1

If you're buying a Winchester buy the one in your price range. I don't think other than handling characteristics, there will be a huge difference in function between the two.
Old July 31, 2022, 02:53 PM   #3
Straitshot

I have both the Winchester/Miroku and Uberti 1873 rifles and I like them both. Currently depending on the model there isn't a lot of difference in price between the two. My newest is the Winchester 1873 Deluxe Sporting rifle in .357/.38 special and it is a very fine rifle. I would love to have a carbine as well. Like Taylorce 1 said, no difference in function and little difference in handling characteristics. I will say I do not shoot .38 Special in my rifle as I reload and just shoot lighter .357 reloads.

Last edited by Straitshot; July 31, 2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old July 31, 2022, 03:34 PM   #4
stagpanther

Rossi's favor those who don't mind being home gunsmiths.
Old August 1, 2022, 04:15 AM   #5
powertube

Now i know that Rossi's are DIY guns and I'm cool with home gunsmithing, but only to a certain point.
But in a normal world a rifle like mine should never pass qc.
Old August 1, 2022, 06:07 AM   #6
stagpanther

I bought two of them--they both were terrible QC basket cases but I managed to patch them together to get some semblance of good shooting out of them. I don't have that patience anymore--not at $600 a pop anyway.
Old August 3, 2022, 02:50 PM   #7
powertube

It‘s not just about patience, some Rossi Fanboys have developed stockholm syndrome.

„Oh, mine was incredible rough and cycled no 357s or 38specials. Bought the steve gunz dvd spring kit, stoned all internals, the loading gate, cut some screws, replaced the magazine follower and reloaded my 357s to a length shorter to .38 specs. Now its such a sweet shooter.“

Maybe I‘m to demanding, but a a product should fulfill its intended function.

Imagine buying a tv bottom of the price range. Back home you realize that you have no sound and can‘t switch channels unless you have to dissasemble and resolder some solderings on the circuit board.
Old August 3, 2022, 08:49 PM   #8
Crunchy Frog

I have two 1873s, a Uberti Deluxe Short Rifle in .357 and a Winchester-Miroku rifle in .44-40. Both have a 20” barrel; the latter is the base model with a blued receiver and no checkering on the wood.

I like the short rifle configuration with an 18-20” barrel. Uberti offers more factory options and there is more aftermarket support if you want to have action work done. The Winchester is a little nicer out of the box.
Old August 5, 2022, 05:32 PM   #9
Scorch

1873s are kind of a mixed bag. Winchesters and Ubertis are probably the best of the bunch. Most work very well, others can be tiresome. But my preferences run to the 1892s, they are much lighter and handier than 1873s. A Chiappa or Winchester 1892 is a dream, Rossis are nightmares.

Yes, Rossis fans like the low price and don't mind putting hours and hours into a gun to make it semi-reliable, but I like guns to work right out of the box. After all, if it doen't run right brand new, it's never going to work right.
Old August 5, 2022, 07:07 PM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Back home you realize that you have no sound and can‘t switch channels unless you have to dissasemble and resolder some solderings on the circuit board.
I'd shoot it with my rossi--though might miss.
Old August 6, 2022, 05:43 PM   #11
44caliberkid

I would also recommend a 92 clone for 357. Either Winchester or Italian. Many original 92’s were rebarreled to 357. Lighter rifle, stronger action.
I have a Rossi in 44-40, that I got cheap from a cowboy shooter. He already had the gunsmithing done and the tapered 44-40 cartridge feeds smoother anyway, so I have no complaints, other than the dark stained mystery wood furniture.
Old August 11, 2022, 08:41 AM   #12
powertube

I‘ve tried a friends miroku 1873 yesterday. OMG, this gun is so on point.
The action is slick than anything out of the box, also fit and finish is on point and the weight is perfectly balanced.

I know that the 73ers action is not as strong as the 92, but as I will not use it for hunting, but steel target shooting (similar to cas) we only shoot light loads.

The one yesterday was with a 24“ octagon barrel, I will also try the 20“ version next week.
Old August 11, 2022, 09:41 AM   #13
thegatman

Look at Henry 357 rifle.
Old August 12, 2022, 10:09 AM   #14
Sarge

My favorite the US Marshal IT carbine in 44 Mag. I might never shoot a handful of magnums through it, but what a rifle all the same.

https://youtu.be/zfh_7LQBwMM
Old August 12, 2022, 12:00 PM   #15
ciwsguy

Or wait for the Ruglin

Or you could wait for the Ruger-built Marlin (Ruglin) to be released. My Remlin 357 1894C cycles all 38 and 357 cartridges put in the magazine, but maybe I just got fortunate