The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 13, 2022, 07:30 AM   #1
Logs

Long Shot, but does anyone know what this part is?

Cleaning up my workshop this morning and found this piece on the floor. It looks to me as a gun part. Recently cleaned a Glock 19, Sig P229 and a Garand, but I have checked them and it doesn't look like it came from them?

Any chance someone knows what this is? It is roughly similar in size to a quarter.

Old August 13, 2022, 08:00 AM   #2
Wag

Looks like part #28. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...ls-sig/229-sig

But you have to go quite a way beyond a mere field strip to get to it.

--Wag--
Old August 13, 2022, 08:26 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Wag is correct. It pivots up and pushes the firing pin block safety up; allowing the firing pin to move forward when struck by the hammer.
Old August 13, 2022, 08:28 AM   #4
Logs

Thanks. That does look like it. All I did was take the slide off. I checked both my 229's and they seem to work okay. Decocker, slide stop and trigger work fine. I guess if I take them to the range and they don't fire I'll know which one is missing a part.
Old August 13, 2022, 12:06 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I guess if I take them to the range and they don't fire I'll know which one is missing a part.
I suppose that would tell you. However, I think if its possible to just put a primed case in the chamber and fire the gun it would tell you the same thing, without the possible risk of the pressure of firing a live round.

Ask yourself, WHY did you find that part on the floor?? IF all you did was take the slide off, and it fell out, SOMETHING is wrong. The parts don't normally fall out when all you do is take the slide off.

WHAT caused that part to fall out?? Could it be something that might result in a dangerous situation trying to fire live ammo???

OR is it something that would prevent firing live ammo? Something in between?? You dont KNOW.

Personally, I'd say its time for those pistols to see a gunsmith (or SIG warranty service, if applicable) to find out What went wrong, and WHY.
Old August 13, 2022, 01:26 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Post a pic of the frame from the top.
Old August 13, 2022, 03:40 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Decocker, slide stop and trigger work fine.
They may appear to work fine, but without that part, the gun will not fire.

Try a pencil test. With the gun unloaded, put a pencil down the barrel with the eraser end down. Aim the gun in the air and pull the trigger. The pencil should jump out of the bore. I'm guessing your gun will fail the test. The firing pin block will be preventing the firing pin from moving forward since the part that normally moves it out of the way of the firing pin isn't in the gun.

I wouldn't dryfire a bunch until you get this fixed. Firing pin safeties typically aren't designed to take a lot of pounding--they are just there as a failsafe.

I don't have a P228 to play with, but it looks possible for the pin that holds that part in place to move out of position while the slide is off--maybe enough to let the part fall out of the gun.
Old August 13, 2022, 09:18 PM   #8
Logs

Did the pencil test twice on both P229's and the pencil bounced. I'll take them to a gunsmith next week. I don't see anything obviously wrong.

Old August 13, 2022, 09:43 PM   #9
veprdude

Both of those pistols appear to have that part installed. Maybe one was lost and found its way into the grip area during a disassembly long ago.
Old August 13, 2022, 09:45 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

It looks like the part is installed in both of those guns--and since both guns passed the pencil test that makes sense.

Do you have spare parts on hand? Maybe it fell out of your spare parts stock? I know--grasping at straws...