The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2022, 03:29 PM   #26
rsnell

I used the following load in a Remington Model 7 rifle, Remington cases, and Federal 210 primers. The brass was full length sized and the powder was 40.0 grains of IMR 4064. COAL was 2.775 inches. I had a 1 shot group at 0.76 inches and all the five shot groups were under 1 inch. This load can probably be improved. It was developed before I understood measuring the distance to the lands, seating depth, and bumping the shoulder back 0.002-0.003 inches. Winchester primers and Nosler 140 grain bullets also worked just as well.
Old June 26, 2022, 05:10 PM   #27
Bart B.

Accuracy is best defined as the largest groups fired.

Last edited by Bart B.; June 26, 2022 at 05:48 PM.
Old June 26, 2022, 07:41 PM   #28
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
I'm with the camp on long bullets in short cases. I got a Hornady OAL guage for all my rifles. MAGIC.
I am in the camp of long bullets barely sticking into short cases because I cut very deep throats.
Old June 28, 2022, 02:52 AM   #29
riverratt

Sorry it took a wile for me to update the results, I suffered a knee injury at work a couple weeks ago and was not able to walk for a while.

I followed Std7mags advice and ended up with 30 inch pounds up front and 25 inch pounds on the rear screw when it pulled the groups together in a beautiful little cloverleaf group. I ran 5, 5 shot groups letting the barrel cool completely between groups and ended up with the smallest group being .53 and the largest being .87 inches. The average size of these 5 groups was .68".

I wish to thank all involved in trying to resolve this issue and I definitely learned something new.
Old June 28, 2022, 01:29 PM   #30
Metal god

Awesome ;-) , glad to hear it worked out. There’s a lot of shooters that don’t think action screw torque matters but it does . Make sure you clean the screws with a degreaser then use some blue loctite on them to keep um put

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 3, 2022, 06:13 AM   #31
std7mag

Riverrat,

Glad things worked out for you!

Bear in mind, i have 5 Savage rifles and all like a different torque setting.
I clean the screws as MetalGod suggests, but i don't use Loctite on my action screws.

I have one set at 15inlb & have never had an issue.

If you do use Loctite, i suggest #222. The purple low strength.
Blue 242 works in a pinch, but is harder to unscrew should you need to.
I also use 222 on scope bases & rings.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 5, 2022, 08:05 PM   #32
Scorch

In 30 years as a gunsmith, every time a rifle shot two groups it was due to loose scope ring or base screws. Every time.
Old July 10, 2022, 08:15 PM   #33
std7mag

Well, Scorch.
In THIS instance it would appear to be action screw torque.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 11, 2022, 11:08 AM   #34
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinswi View Post
Did you watch his Video??? He doesn’t jam his bullets he finds the Jam then backs off .02 off that then starts adjusting his seating depth .003 until he finds two consistent nodes.

The OP hasnt found the right barrel harmonics for his load. His ES/SD look good but barrel harmonics are off
A given barrel has the same harmonics (vibration frequencies) across all loads because its shape is the same for all of them.

Different loads make bullets leave at different bore angles to the line of sight.

Ideally, slower bullets should leave at higher angles than faster ones.

Last edited by Bart B.; July 11, 2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old July 13, 2022, 08:21 PM   #35
Metal god

Quote:
In THIS instance it would appear to be action screw torque.
and in my case as well . I went through every possible issue two or three times including scope , rings , parallax etc . It was only after posing the problem here or another form did someone suggest it was an action screw problem . Which instantly fixed the problem .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .