The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 29, 2022, 06:38 AM   #1
iosteyee

Opinion: Reliable autoloader for upland birds with wood stock?

I'm not familiar with autoloading shotguns. My experience has been with Remington 870's both in the service and since. I'd like to broaden my horizons and add an autoloader to my collection, but would like a nice gun that isn't too expensive to use, and with wooden furniture. What might make a nice upland gun for Grouse? Thanks for your advice and experience.
Old March 29, 2022, 07:26 PM   #2
FITASC

You will need to define "not too expensive". There are some decent Turkish guns for casual use; if you want something for more substantial use, Beretta or Benelli, but they aren't cheap by most standards
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 30, 2022, 01:55 AM   #3
chadio

Very pleased with my Beretta AL391 Urika (made in Italy). Mine has the polymer stock and forend, but there are wood versions available. Keep in mind, I only shoot clay pigeons.

Being a gas - operated system:

- recoil impulse is remarkably soft for a 12 ga. (you can shoot it all day without beating yourself up)
- takedown / cleaning / reassembly is much more complicated than other designs

Because my shotgun is 'yesterday's news' I got it for a quite reasonable price.

Much happy

/edit/ video clip, user review
https://youtu.be/I_n2Am7P6u8
https://youtu.be/Ak__Phr7aEE

Last edited by chadio; March 30, 2022 at 04:34 AM.
Old March 30, 2022, 08:49 AM   #4
jmr40

You're not going to find anything new much under $1000. Probably closer to $1300ish. I like this gun well enough, but for what you want to do I'd want less than a 30" barrel.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/Bere...i-Auto-Shotgun

Winston Churchill
Old March 30, 2022, 10:10 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Franchi Affinity 3.
Elite Upland, specifically.
Old March 30, 2022, 10:54 AM   #6
iosteyee

Thanks Gents,
All great recommendations. I like the Price on that Franchi Affinity 3. For the amount of time I spend bird hunting(not enough), that's about the right price. Of course the old motto: "Buy once cry once" always comes to mind.
Old March 30, 2022, 01:18 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

I've got an Ithaca model 51 that has given me no problems for decades, but you won't find one of those easily as they are LONG out of production.

Since you have experience with the Rem 870, I'd suggest you look for a Rem 1100. And, I would look at USED ones.

Its going to look and handle a lot like the 870, Remington made a lot of them for a long time, so finding one (or sometimes several) on the used rack is a frequent thing. Most of the time, the price will be lower than new, and if there is some finish wear or damage, that doesn't affect the way the gun shoots.

Additionally, if you do get one that has a mechanical issue, there are a lot of people who know how to work on them, and parts are not (yet) in the realm of unobtanium...

I'd look for one of the later built (last few decades) that has the RemChoke feature, but there's nothing wrong with the older guns if you can find one with the desired choke.at a decent price.
Old March 30, 2022, 02:47 PM   #8
MarkCO

The Affinity is a good solid platform.

Others you might consider in the "Benelli" inertia system are the Weatherby Element https://weatherby.com/store/element-upland/ or the Stoeger https://www.stoegerindustries.com/m3000-shotgun

We have a lot of shotguns, but the Benelli, Beretta, Browning, Weatherby and Stoeger most often leave the others sitting in the rack.
Old March 30, 2022, 04:51 PM   #9
stuckinthe60s

get a used vintage winchester model 50.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 30, 2022, 05:59 PM   #10
stinkeypete

Specific for grouse, I would look at the Retay Masa Mara 20 gauge with wood furniture.

It’s an inertia system, based on the expired Benelli patent with new patented improvement that work out the big flaw in the old Benelli action.

The problem you have is “wood” is now a bit of an upscale option. The other choice might be a Tristar viper G2 then swap out the trigger spring for $20 to tame the heavy trigger pull.

Myself, I just got a new over and under 20 gauge for grouse but my newish 26” Fabarms L4s is my do-all shotgun although it may not cycle all 1oz loads. I need to check this summer.

The advantage of a new gun is compatibility with steel shot and choke tubes. I believe steel shot will become a thing, and it’s not a big deal if you have a modern gun that can throw more steel of larger size pellets and understand that sometimes you might want to pay for tungsten.
Old March 30, 2022, 06:47 PM   #11
Pahoo

Great Option

Quote:
Since you have experience with the Rem 870, I'd suggest you look for a Rem 1100. And, I would look at USED ones.
A few years back, I use to be an active upland bird hunter. Then our Iowa Pheasants decided to move to South Dakota and that kind of slowed down. My Go-To was always my Rem. 1100, 12ga and what joy it was. I miss that shotgun as I took a lot of game with it. .....

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old March 30, 2022, 11:32 PM   #12
bobn

stuckinthe60s mentioned a used winchester model 50. my thoughts are similar. super x model one. bob
Old March 31, 2022, 01:30 AM   #13
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Quote:
This would also be my suggestion...I have both Rem. 870 & 1100 since new, both mfg. in mid to late 60's. Never a problem with them other than inexpensive ring kit a couple of times for 1100.

Thousands of trap & skeet rds. and some pheasant's too.
The 1100 was made in 5 gages years ago, you probably can find a used 12 ga. reasonable price, 20 ga. slightly more.

My 2nd choice would be an older 70's vintage Browning A5 but would cost more than the Rem 1100.

Being "old" and "old school", these would be my 2 choices.
Old March 31, 2022, 05:57 AM   #14
jar

If you like the A5 then an older Remington 11-48. Think A-5 without the hump.
Attached Images
File Type: png Sportsman 48-1.png (112.0 KB, 20 views)
Old March 31, 2022, 06:16 AM   #15
chadio

All these shot guns with wood furniture look so sexy.....

Mine (polymer furniture) looks like a toy replica from WalMart!!!
Old March 31, 2022, 01:18 PM   #16
iosteyee

Hmm, now you've got me thinking. Rem 1100, I'm a sucker for a classic. All, please have a look at the post about 20 ga for youth above. Thanks in advance.
Old March 31, 2022, 03:37 PM   #17
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iosteyee View Post
Hmm, now you've got me thinking. Rem 1100, I'm a sucker for a classic. All, please have a look at the post about 20 ga for youth above. Thanks in advance.
Nothing wrong with a 20g for upland. But the lighter frame actually kicks about the same as the same model in 12g, which is heavier.

I have a few Middle School students who literally can not hold up a 12g, so we fit a 20g to them as use the reduced recoil 20g loads.

If the weight of a 12g is not a problem, absolutely no reason to even consider a 20g.
Old March 31, 2022, 06:53 PM   #18
dgludwig

I'd look for a Browning Double Auto (DA). Not many were made over the twenty years or so they were being sold but ones in good condition can still be found for $600.00, give or take. Only made in 12 gauge. Imo, the DA is the best handling repeating shotgun ever made. Extremely well-made and they were not only made with different colored receivers but all were hand-engraved.

Winchester Models 50 and 59 were also fine handling autos worth taking a look at.
Old April 4, 2022, 12:45 PM   #19
wachtelhund1

I hunted 25 years, ruff grouse in WI and pheasants in SD, ND, KS, NE, and MT with a Franchi 48 AL 20ga, 26 inch barrel, and 3 inch chamber. Never had a problem. Long recoil action. Before that I used the Franchi for grouse and an O/U and Benelli M1 for pheasants. One day I decided to used the Franchi for pheasants. Kills ratios went up and shells with lighter to carry.
Old April 5, 2022, 01:22 AM   #20
Eight_is_enough

I usually carry a 20-ga O/U for upland hunting but often carry my 20-ga Beretta A400. Not cheap but worth every dollar.
Old April 5, 2022, 09:38 AM   #21
Jim Watson

A friend is an avid pheasant hunter who really likes her Benelli Ultra Light 12 ga at 6.1 lbs.
She says the guys kid her about her Girly Gun but are "willing to try it out" in the afternoon after carrying their 8 lb guns all morning.
Old April 5, 2022, 09:39 AM   #22
BillM

Another vote for a used 1100. If you like the 870 it's an easy transition,
and if you are patient you can find some beautiful guns in the used rack.
Old April 5, 2022, 01:19 PM   #23
Pahoo

1100; Still running

Quote:
Another vote for a used 1100
Back in the mid 1983, I bought my "used" 1100. from an old duck-hunter that stopped hunting. I paid $135.00 for it and it became, my go-to shotgun. Shot plenty of game with I and can't even give you a head count of how many Whitetails it took. Iowa Pheasants move to South Dakota and I sold it to my buddy's son, in 2009. It became his GO-To and loves it. The only part, I had to ever replace, was the sealing "O"-Ring on the gas piston. This one is still running today!!!

Be Safe !!!
Old May 17, 2022, 12:26 PM   #24
Rifletom

TriStar G2 Viper was mentioned earlier. For OP's intended use, this is a solid choice.
12 or 20 ga.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:46 PM   #25
FITASC

A lot of those guns tend to be on the somewhat heavy side - great for recoil reduction; bad for all day carrying up and down hills, so decide accordingly. For upland where I walk more than shoot, I like a 20 weighing about 6# - semi, pump, O/U or SxS doesn't matter; light weight and pointability mean more
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa