The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 10, 2022, 02:52 PM   #26
bladesmith 1

Claybuster makes a 3/4oz wad for the 12ga - CB-0134-12, so beans and such aren't needed.
mehavey, I'm not sure what a deflection shot is. Is the shot bounced off something so it's deflected ?
Old March 10, 2022, 03:54 PM   #27
mehavey

.... what a deflection shot is....
Old March 12, 2022, 11:50 AM   #28
bladesmith 1

In the shotgun sports - skeet, trap, 5-stand, and SCs, where there are many birds thrown on different angles that need different leads, they are called crossers, not deflection shots. I have never seen that term used in 50 years of shooting the shotgun sports. Wikipedia has it a bit wrong using that term. Deflection is something being deflected from it's original course. Leading a target is just that, and there are many different ways to do it. A couple are swing through, maintain lead, pull away, intercept, reverse lead - you get the idea. Wikipedia isn't always right. In the future you may want to pick a different term.
Old March 12, 2022, 04:29 PM   #29
mehavey

I'm afraid you are incorrect.
Back in the early 50's, the "New Air Force" issued free skeet ammunition " to keep the gunners mentality up to speed.... on deflection shooting." **
`Followed Dad around the skeet ranges for years as a young kid, and still call 'Pull,' 'Mark,' and "Birds" from those early days.

As to pulling it from "Wikipedia"... I didn't have a clue "Wikipedia" agreed w/ me (and for the past 70 years or since those USAF skeet days w/ Dad -- don't really care.)

Perhaps Merriam Webster might have some ideas....
Hmmmmm

deflection shooting: noun
Definition of deflection shooting
: the aiming of one's fire in aerial gunnery beyond a moving airplane to compensate for its movement.

So if y'all don't mind, I think I'll stay at the dance w/ the one that brung me.

Happened come across these cites:

Page100
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/...AFHS-31-7.html
LeMay
https://books.google.com/books?id=yD...0force&f=false

Last edited by mehavey; March 12, 2022 at 07:20 PM.
Old March 14, 2022, 08:05 AM   #30
bladesmith 1

Sorry, I stand corrected. I shouldn't be trying to correct my elders [ I'm only 76 ] . But I will say in my humble defense, that term seems to have gone out of favor.
I do really like your OLD saying - So if y'all don't mind, I think I'll stay at the dance w/ the one that brung me. Very appropriate. I learn something new everyday.
Old March 14, 2022, 08:38 AM   #31
mehavey

You and I are similar in age--and of the very few who
could actually remember the likes of LeMay in person *
(much less free ammunition ).

* (now if I could only remember what I had for breakfast)
...sigh...