The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2011, 11:54 AM   #1
carsinc

Do Glock's Damage Brass?

A local reloader does not like to reload .45 ACP brass that has been fired in a Glock. Says Glocks will damage brass to the point that it can not be reloaded. Any reloaders have any experience with this problem?
Old March 10, 2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Utahar15

Glocks

My understanding the older glocks, gen 1 and 2. My gen 3, .40 cal doesn't damage the brass.
Old March 10, 2011, 12:06 PM   #3
BigJimP

Yes, the unsupported chambers in the Glocks - tend to cause a bulge near the bottom of the case - that is difficult to remove in resizing for many reloaders.

But I sweep up a lot of range brass off the floor of my local range(concrete floors indoors / and brass bounces all over the place) ....and while there is no doubt some of it comes from a Glock ...it isn't like I reject 100% of it either ( in 9mm, .40S&W or in .45 acp ).

I always clean and then inspect my brass - and reject the cases with obvious dents, cracks, etc ....especially in a higher pressure round like .40S&W ...but I don't worry what gun it came out of ...
Old March 10, 2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

1) "Glocks damage brass" as an all-inclusive statement is false. My G33 (357sig) causes no discernible damage or any problems with reloading at load levels that would be "unadvisable".

2) Certain generations of Glocks, particularly 40SW chambered guns, do cause the infamous "Glock Smiley" at full-power load levels. Again, I believe this ceased to be true either before or during production of the "Gen 3" guns.

3)The statement that "Glocks will damage brass to the point that it can not be reloaded.", is also false. Even from guns that DO damage the brass, the "damage" is a bulge in an area of the case near the head that is unsupported by the chamber. This damage can be repaired. It does require the use of a special die, but "it can not be reloaded" is false. Personally, I wouldn't do it, nor would I own a gun that caused that bulge, but that's a personal choice and many people do it regularly.

4)I have not seen a significant number (can't actually recall ANY) of reports that Glocks chambered in 45acp will damage brass at any "normal" load level.
Old March 10, 2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Nowhere Man

Tell him to send it to me. I'll reload it.

Dave
Old March 10, 2011, 03:21 PM   #6
glockcompact

I reload brass for my Glocks all the time. From my First Glock a 2nd gen G22 that I have had since the early 90's to my last Glock a G23 that I have had for two years. I have never had a problem. The brass does bulge at the bottom. I do not "push" the pressures. I see no reason to hot rod my loads anyway. I reload for standard pressures or just above standard. I only reload 2-3 times per piece. I do believe the brass has a shorter life span than out of other pistols that have a fully suported barrel.
Old March 10, 2011, 03:44 PM   #7
mikejonestkd

My experiences with glocks and brass bulges pretty much mirrors all the previous posters. Later generations of glocks have improved case support and fewer issues with the bulge. I do not load any of my handloads hotter than regular pressure and my case life is fairly good.
Old March 10, 2011, 04:40 PM   #8
oneounceload

I shoot genII Glock and I reload the brass all of the time, in fact MANY times without issues. I have fired other brands that really chewed up the rim with their extractors - they weren't Glocks. If the brass is in good condition, use it.
Old March 10, 2011, 06:30 PM   #9
hornady

The early Glock 22 in 40S&W was the biggest culprit for Bulged brass, I own and reload for it, I use the Redding G-RX die, I keep all loads in the mid range with repaired brass with out any problems.
For years I have loaded for my 1911 and Ruger P-90 with no sign of bulge in 45 ACP.
Last year I picked up a used Sig Sauer P 220, I have started seeing some bulged brass and believe the Sig to be the culprit. Lee makes a Die called the Bulge buster to be used with there FCD, that I will try with the 45ACP brass, I Have read good things about it.
One precaution I will add, I have not seen this my self, but have read the early Glocks will fire out of Battery, so I could see were this could be a problem with shooting bulged brass in early Glocks.
Old March 10, 2011, 07:21 PM   #10
flyboyjake

peetza nailed it
Old March 10, 2011, 09:26 PM   #11
dlb435

I've been reloading my brass shot from a Glock for years with no problems. The so called "un-supported" brass issue is just a myth. I think there are just Glock haters out there that make this claim just to scare people. If you bulge the brass on a Glock, the load was to hot to start with.
Reload your brass and don't worry about it.
Old March 10, 2011, 09:51 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I've been reloading my brass shot from a Glock for years with no problems. The so called "un-supported" brass issue is just a myth. I think there are just Glock haters out there that make this claim just to scare people. If you bulge the brass on a Glock, the load was to hot to start with.
I've personally seen Glocks chambered in .40SW shoot factory loads with results of bulged brass over and over again. The unsupported chamber is a fact, not a myth. Glock has since addressed the issue in their newer models.

carsinc, all due respect but your reloader is wrong regarding .45ACP brass fired in Glocks.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 11, 2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Jim243

Peetza, is that barrel for your G33 in 357 Sig a orginal Glock barrel or a fully supported replacement barrel?

While Glocks do bulge cases in some of the guns, you can still use them if you use a "Lee Bulge Buster" and "Factory Crimp Die" to resize them. I use it on 40s all the time even those cases that do not have the Glock bulge. Also on 357 Sig so I don't have to lub the cases for resizing.

Jim
Old March 11, 2011, 10:56 AM   #14
carsinc

Do Glocks Hurt Your Brass?

Dudes, thanks for all the feedback. This particular reloader is a bit cranky when it comes to spent brass. If he isn't sure of the orgin of the brass he won't reload it and won't accept "sweepings" from the range. I shoot a Kimber and if I collect my own brass he will exchange it for reloads.

Again, thanks for the great feedback.