The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

View Poll Results: Should I polish P226 flats to match look of Equinox/X5 Black & White
Go for it! 1 50.00%
No! Leave it alone in it's standard configuration. 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 31, 2016, 05:29 PM   #1
LoLoSr10

Sig Sauer P226 Polishing Flats?

I have a Sig Sauer P226 Elite which has the Nitron finish. I replaced the stock grips/grip screws with Sig Sauer factory Blackwood grips and nickel hex head screws and I'm very pleased with the appearance. I have a nickel hammer, slide release, and decocker ordered. I plan on eventually swapping to a nickel trigger and magazine release as well. One option I've been considering is polishing the outer flats of the slide to look like the Equinox or X5 Black & White model. Since the slide underneath the Nitron finish is stainless steel I don't see why this would be an issue. So, my questions since this is a permanent alteration are 1. Should I polish the flats? & 2. What is the best way to go about doing so? I was thinking of using painters tape to block off the areas which I don't wish to polish; however, I am unsure of what to do around the area's containing slide serrations and how to achieve the shiny peaks with Nitron coated valleys.
Old July 31, 2016, 06:45 PM   #2
guncrank

Use a flat surface ( glass/granite surface plate etc) and sand slide flats on a piece of sandpaper laid on plate.
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public

Tags
finishing , p226 , polishing , sig sauer , slide