The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 18, 2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Major Beef

New Franchi I-12 with $100 rebate?

I've been looking at the Franchi I-12 and the gun really strikes my fancy. I can get a new one out the door for $510 (synthetic) and $560 (walnut), which after the $100 factory rebate would make the final cost $410 and $460.

Is that considered a good price? To put it another way, is that good gun for the money? And is the walnut worth the extra $50?

Also, I'm new to shotguns and I recently bought a new Benelli Nova and a used Stoeger M2000 (waiting for both to be shipped) and I was wondering if it would be sort of redundant to own both the M2000 and the I-12 since the actions are exactly the same.

Any input, however tangentially related to the Franchi I-12 will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old August 19, 2011, 04:14 AM   #2
bejay

sounds like a real good price I would expect the franchi to maybe be a little better quality than the m2000 and from what ive looked at they generally cost more than the m2000, as per wood vs synthetic its really personal prefrence I think wood looks alot nicer and well worth the price difference.
Old August 19, 2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Rugerismisticness

Thats a great price for an I12, buy it and sell off the M2000. The I 12 is a great all around gun for both clays and hunting. If that wasn't such an amazing price I'd recommend going after the I12 Diamond or I12 Sport.
Old August 19, 2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Major Beef

Quote:
Thats a great price for an I12, buy it and sell off the M2000. The I 12 is a great all around gun for both clays and hunting. If that wasn't such an amazing price I'd recommend going after the I12 Diamond or I12 Sport.
I would love the I-12 Diamond, but the $100 rebate specifically excludes the Diamond out of the I-12 line. I think I will go for the I-12 in Walnut, but I'll keep the Stoeger to loan to a buddy.
Old August 21, 2011, 12:46 AM   #5
publius

Is it too late to cancel your order on the Stoeger? I have been looking at the Franchi myself.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:23 AM   #6
ClydeFrog

SPAS-12? Franchi 12ga firearms...

Is this new shotgun like the 1980s monster SPAS-12? I seen a few used bad boys in the $1200-1600.00 USD range but would want a new model.

Please post a company link too if possible. A young gun shop clerk told me FIE no longer imports the Franchi shotguns out of south Florida(metro Miami).

Thanks!
Old August 21, 2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Major Beef

Quote:
Is it too late to cancel your order on the Stoeger? I have been looking at the Franchi myself.
It's too late to cancel, I already sent out my payment. I figured for $300, it's a fair deal and not too much for an extra gun around the house.

If you're looking at the Franchi I-12, the dealer on gunbroker seems to have plenty of stock as of now. It's not like they're flying off the shelves, but he is moving a good amount of inventory. Since I started watching his listings 4-5 days ago, it looks like he has sold 18 of 24 in walnut, 1 of 25 in black synthetic, 8 of 56 in various barrel lengths in camo.

Dealer link:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Sel...px?User=250902

Quote:
Is this new shotgun like the 1980s monster SPAS-12? I seen a few used bad boys in the $1200-1600.00 USD range but would want a new model.

Please post a company link too if possible. A young gun shop clerk told me FIE no longer imports the Franchi shotguns out of south Florida(metro Miami).

Thanks!
The Franchi I-12 does not appear to be related to the SPAS-12, which according to my google-fu is a combined gas actuated semiauto and pump bad-to-the-bone-looking Hollywood shotgun. The I-12 is a recoil operated semiauto for hunting and target shooting. From what I understand, the I-12 is a better, more refined, Italian version of the Turkish Stoeger M2000 and a poor man's version of the Benelli Super Black Eagle shotguns.

Company link:
http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/i-12_waterfowl.php
http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/i...land_field.php
Old August 23, 2011, 07:27 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

A hunting we will go; 3000 Miles To Graceland

I looked over a few of the new Franchi sporting shotgun images too.
It doesn't look as "tacti-cool" as the old SPAS-12 shotgun.

Speaking of cool, look at the neato wowy screen images of the SPAS-12 in action; www.IMFdb.org .
Old August 24, 2011, 02:04 AM   #9
Major Beef

I was not aware of the Franchi brand of firearms until recently. It's amazing how many big/blockbuster action movies the SPAS-12 has been in. It might just be the most iconic shotgun on screen.
Old September 6, 2011, 09:59 PM   #10
publius

I think that is a great price on both the Franchi and Stoeger. I'd get the wood on the Franchi and use for an upland/ target gun. Hopefully the Stoeger will function well (very likely it will). You can take it to the duck blind so you don't beat up your pretty Franchi.