The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2018, 09:41 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Hunter's Beware (Michigan)

I found this online which states only to be in Michigan. Not sure if some know about this or not/read or not read, just an FYI.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...isease-in-deer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spats McGee Note: Given the nature of this, I'm going to add a little from the original article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linked article
Heads up, hunting enthusiasts: The Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is warning hunters in the state to be wary of bovine tuberculosis in deer, a disease that's transmissible to humans, WSMH-News reported.

The “serious contagious disease” is caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium bovis, according to Purdue University. It's spread “primarily through the exchange of respiratory secretions between infected and uninfected animals,” such as coughing or sneezing, according to the Michigan DNR.
Old October 11, 2018, 12:00 AM   #2
HiBC

I suggest you include a little more context in your post. Without that,you end up having you post closed for being a "drive by"
Old October 11, 2018, 08:31 AM   #3
ninosdemente

No problem. Just wanted to share some info for awareness.
Old October 11, 2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Erno86

OP - Thanks for the heads up...

--- George Orwell
Old October 11, 2018, 04:27 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

It is for reasons such as this that I don't get people NOT wearing gloves and such when they butcher game. I know folks like to make a big deal about feral hogs carrying all sorts of diseases, but deer carry a whole lot of the same stuff hogs carry and some things that hogs do not carry. In short, every wild animal you butcher should be considered as a biothreat when it comes to cutting and handling. If you are old, in poorer health, on chemo, fighting some other infection, etc., extra special precaution should be taken as well.

I know folks who will claim to not need gloves because they don't have any cuts on their hands and so don't have any "open wounds," but for anybody who has been out in the field and hunting, I can almost assure you that you have open wounds on your hands. They may be small and have gone unnoticed, but they are there.

I used to work in a lab where we removed calcium carbonate from items. This was done in a very dilute solution of muriatic acid. We called it "the cut finder" because if you didn't wear gloves, it would find every skin breech on your hands...and sting. Nearly everybody has some cuts on their hands most of the time.
Old October 11, 2018, 04:43 PM   #6
gw44

We are vary aware of bovine tuberculosis and now CWD has been found in our deer herds, we try to keep on top of things, things are coming at us pretty fast we just deal with them best we can !!!
Old October 13, 2018, 07:51 AM   #7
thallub

Quote:
We are vary aware of bovine tuberculosis and now CWD has been found in our deer herds, we try to keep on top of things, things are coming at us pretty fast we just deal with them best we can !!!
This^^^^. Tuberculosis in MI deer is not new. The MI DNR has been tracking the problem for decades.

The strain of bovine tuberculosis in MI deer is due to infected cattle imported from Great Britain during the 1700s and 1800s.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/10/...michigan-deer/
Old October 13, 2018, 08:02 AM   #8
gw44

Yes thallub we have dealt with the TB for a long time, the CWD is new and I am sad to say getting a foot hold here !!!
Old October 13, 2018, 09:33 AM   #9
buck460XVR

One needs to realize that positive test results were found in under .4 percent of the deer. Not even one half of one percent. These tests were probably run mostly in areas/counties known for bTB. Then there is this from Purdue State University.....
Quote:
Is bovine Tb transmissible to humans?
Yes, bovine Tb is transmissible to humans but bovine Tb accounts for <2% of tuberculosis cases in the United States. Most cases of bovine Tb in humans are caused by consuming unpasteurized dairy products and the likelihood of contracting bovine Tb from a wild deer is minuscule. There has been only one confirmed case of transmission of bovine Tb to a human from an infected white-tailed deer. In that case, bovine Tb was thought to be transmitted via bodily fluids from the infected deer contacting an open wound on the person during the field dressing process.
Also, bTB in humans responds very well and very quickly to treatment. This does not mean one does not need to be concerned, vigilant and take obvious precautions. Just that the risk is very almost zero. Odds are you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning while deer hunting than coming down with bTB.
Old October 16, 2018, 06:51 AM   #10
Mobuck

Back in the days of manual milking, lots of farmers contracted bovine TB from miking/handling infected cattle with open sores on their hands.
Don't kiss the deer, don't wipe nose/eyes/mouth while handling deer, and wear latex/vinyl gloves---no problem.