The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 8, 2018, 05:50 PM   #1
TruthTellers

.22 LR Revolver Cylinder Throats

Recently I had found out that most of Ruger's .327 cylinder throats were measuring out .313 or larger and that disappointed me because I do have plans to shoot reduced power loads with lead bullets in a Ruger .327 I was planning to buy soon and most lead .32 bullets are sized to .311 or less.

So that issue aside, I don't care to discuss it, I just brought it up because in thinking about .327 throats it got me to wondering about .22 Long Rifle revolvers and what their throats generally measure to.

I have here my NAA Minimaster, my only .22 revolver, and it's a great shooter if you get to know the trigger. The cylinder throats, while dirty because I haven't cleaned it for a while, are measuring out to .221", which to me is fine as Wikipedia's webpage for .22 Long Rifle says the bullet diameters go from .223" to .2255".

So what size are the throats on your .22 revolvers? Do you find a difference in group sizes and accuracy with a certain sized throat?
Old October 9, 2018, 10:52 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Good question! I've never really paid any attention to the throats on any of the 22 revolvers I've owned over the years and i don't have one here with me in AZ that I can take a look at. IIRC, aren't 22 cylinders straight bored? An outside lubed bullet that I believe is larger than the bore and since it is so small in diameter a straight bored chamber, it allows the bullet to enter the forcing cone and size down to the bore.

Like a said - a good question so it will be interesting to see the answers.

I stopped shooting 22s when the shortage hit and since I cast and reload, i stick to center fire pistol cartridges now. I haven't pulled any of my 22 revolvers out to shoot in probably 8 or 9 years, but IIRC, I don't think any of them had a noticeable "throat" . . . could be wrong though.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 10, 2018, 12:25 AM   #3
TruthTellers

People often talk about the throats in their centerfire revolvers, but not rimfire. A big reason why I made this thread.