The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 20, 2018, 05:53 AM   #1
JJ45

SKS, Bayonet or not?

For those that own one. Do you favor the SKS with the integral bayonet mounted or removed and the reasons for your preference,,,,Just curious, JJ
Old September 20, 2018, 07:13 AM   #2
Mobuck

Why would a civilian actually NEED a bayonet?
Both my SKS have the bayonet and the hokie attachment do-dad removed. I think it actually made them slightly more accurate.
Old September 20, 2018, 09:39 AM   #3
hagar

I prefer it with the bayonet. I don't need it, but it looks cool.
Old September 20, 2018, 09:54 AM   #4
ttarp

I prefer it to be original, if I intended to keep the bayonet off, I'd probably remove the lug as well. If you like keeping the cleaning kit with it, the bayonet does a good job of holding the cleaning rod in.
Old September 20, 2018, 09:58 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

When I had mine, I preferred the bayonet (Russian, blade). The rifle looks wrong with the big bayonet lug, but nothing attached to it.

However... While chasing rabbits through deep snow one day, I noticed the screw working loose. I tightened it as best I could, but the threads were nearly stripped. So, I extended the bayonet, since that put a little more pressure on the screw and would hold it more firmly against the remaining threads.

I went after another evil bunny, fired a few more shots, lowered the rifle from my shoulder, and saw that the locking collar, spring, and bayonet had launched into oblivion. I found the collar ... but nothing more.
So, after that, it went bayonet-less.
Old September 20, 2018, 10:16 AM   #6
Bottom Gun

In a pinch, the bayonet can be used as a shooting stick if you swing it out 90 degrees and stick the point in the ground.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old September 20, 2018, 12:27 PM   #7
JJ45

In a pinch yes but I would shoot it that way to see how much it effects POI. At short range probably not that much to make a difference.

As issued, the screw was staked to prevent removal. You can see evidence of this on carbines that come without the bayonet.

I noticed a definite change in POI when the bayonet is removed after sighting in the weapon with the bayonet attached mostly in elevation. But found little difference when shooting with or without the bayonet locked out extended.

The carbine does have an awful look with the bayo removed but that is subjective....the weapon is lighter and less front heavy without but I tend to keep military weapons as issued as much as possible.
Old September 20, 2018, 12:30 PM   #8
Bottom Gun

Anything that puts weight or pressure on a barrel can change the POI.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old September 20, 2018, 08:34 PM   #9
highpower3006

The SKS was originally made with a bayonet and that is the way all six of mine stay. They are not, and never were, designed as a target rifle. They were designed to hit a man sized object at 300 meters or less and even with that ridiculous bayonet they can do that with ease.

The “no civilian needs a bayonet” statement is as dumb as the anti gun statement that “no private citizen needs a ‘assault rifle’ “ (meaning a AR15).

Last edited by highpower3006; September 20, 2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old September 20, 2018, 08:48 PM   #10
jonnyc

I came with 2 arms and 2 legs.......and my SKSs came with bayonets.
Mic dropped.
Old September 20, 2018, 08:59 PM   #11
Model12Win

I ditched mine. Mine has a TAPCO tac stock and red dot w extended 20 bullet banana clip.
Old September 21, 2018, 06:30 AM   #12
jersurf101

I have the bayonet on mine most of the time. It gets removed for deer season when I might use it as a brush gun. Helps with weight.
Old September 21, 2018, 08:34 AM   #13
TRX

The bayonet is useless. Even military rifles don't have them any more.

Still, the gun was designed to have one, and doesn't look right without it. So I rounded up all the (surprisingly affordable) bits and restored mine to is original configuration.

My Mosins still have their bayonets too.

"That's not a knife. THIS is a knife!": the biggest, baddest bayonets I'm aware of were the ones the US put on '03 Springfields issued to native Filipino troops. Figuring that the Filipinos were probably all familiar with its use, the arsenal designed a freakin' MACHETE with bayonet hardware...
Old September 21, 2018, 08:59 AM   #14
JJ45

I look at it as a last resort and that also includes the steel butt plate on the SKS military stocks.

There are many bayonet drills and how to use it effectively. Kinda like martial arts Kata forms IMO....Chuck Taylor, in his book "THE FIGHTING RIFLE" has a whole section on bayonet drills and fighting including butt strokes.

I like the cruciform spike but this may have been banned by international sanction. Not sure of the history.
Old September 21, 2018, 09:42 AM   #15
danco

I prefer my polearm to be separate from my firestick...
Old September 21, 2018, 11:59 AM   #16
T. O'Heir

"...a civilian actually NEED a bayonet..." Same reason for having a semi-auto, battle carbine in the first place.
Rumour has it the SKS shoots better with the bayonet extended. Mind you, 'shoots better' is a relative term. Stalin didn't care how well they shot.
"...military rifles don't have them any more..." Nonsense. They're for parades, but they're there.
Anyway, the SKS had the integral bayonet so the illiterate troopies the thing was designed for wouldn't lose it.
Old September 21, 2018, 12:27 PM   #17
the possum

I found the bayonet to be rather handy. I could use it to just stick the rifle in the ground wherever I was, instead of finding a tree to lean it against or just laying it in the mud. One time I walked across a creek on a downed tree. I was a little scared of dropping my rifle in the water, so I just extended the spike bayonet and chucked it across like a spear. Then pulled it outta the ground again once I was across.

I did use it to finish off several coyotes and other varmints.

If you use it as a monopod, make sure it's actually past 90 degrees and angled slightly forward. If the point is angled back towards you, then when the gun rocks back in recoil the bayonet pivots forward, which naturally raises the muzzle, throwing your shot several feet high. If it's already past center & pointing forwards, it simply jumps off the ground a little in recoil.
Old September 21, 2018, 08:33 PM   #18
bn12gg

Russian SKS here with bayonet. -- kids at the club think it's cool. It doesn't get in the way so it's a keeper. Original as well.

.02. David.
Old September 23, 2018, 09:37 PM   #19
fourbore

If you have a serious use for the gun at the range or hunting the added weight and bad balance is a problem. On the other hand for cool and impressive the bayonet makes the gun.

IMHO, this a question a person should be able to figure out for himself. Well, then the OP is not seeking guidance just 'curious'. And the answer it, it depends on the user. I know 99% users are not hunting deer or shooting for any kind of score or points. The 1% will take it off and store it away for safe keeping.

and for TRX,
The "the biggest, baddest bayonets" I know about were the sawback swiss. Some guns had full length sword bayonets, but; 'baddest' of the big has to be the long sawbacks.

ah, almost forgot, I would not remove it. It not worth the effort for what you end up with.

Last edited by fourbore; September 23, 2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old September 23, 2018, 10:50 PM   #20
Model12Win

The SKS is now a collector’s rifle so I guess I’d leave it be.
Old September 24, 2018, 09:54 AM   #21
ttarp

Quote:
The "the biggest, baddest bayonets" I know about were the sawback swiss. Some guns had full length sword bayonets, but; 'baddest' of the big has to be the long sawbacks.
Thats a pretty impressive blade for sure, I personally think the Japanese Type 30 bayonet takes the cake for absurdly large though.
Old September 24, 2018, 11:16 AM   #22
JJ45

It is rumored that during WWI captured German soldiers who had on their persons a saw back bayonet were immediately shot....
Old September 24, 2018, 07:26 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

As a using gun, the bayonet just seems like useless weight. Okay for a wall hanger, I guess.
Old September 24, 2018, 08:51 PM   #24
ThomasT

I have two SKS rifles. Both Norinco with the spike bayonets. One rifle has the 20" barrel and the other the 16" barrel named Paratrooper. I removed the bayonets on both guns. I don't need them and I have read they can cause a real shift in POI at longer ranges if extended. They are stored in the unlikely event I ever sell the guns.
Old September 24, 2018, 10:55 PM   #25
FindANewSlant

Comrade, why are you of not wanting glorious bayonet? Use to spear the kapitalist pigs.