The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 30, 2009, 07:16 AM   #26
chadwimc

I "helped" my hunting buddy fill out the forms for a gun purchase once. We stopped at a gunshop after deer hunting one day. He spotted an AR15 for a good price. He could not find his glasses and cant read a stop sign without them. He yells across the store "Come over here and help me fill out this form"! I yelled back "I ain't gonna. The guvmint thugs'll get me"!!!
He tried three pair if glasses from staff and customers.

I read the question on the form and put my finger on the line where he should answer. If "they" were watching, I'm sure they got a laugh more than a technical violation of the law...
Old July 30, 2009, 08:37 AM   #27
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLT
What good would that do?
Well, if it were a CCW license it would show he is not prohibited from owning a firearm or if just an ID you could run a background check on him. Which might prevent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemedic
IIRC, that is exactly how NYC got the dealers in those stings they were doing- they hired a man and a woman to pose as a married couple. The man filled out the papers, the woman paid, then NYC sued the dealer.
But hey, just stick it to the Man, be tough and don't take those precautions and then when your store gets closed, you are bankrupt and maybe facing criminal charges from the "Sting" you can shout: "What part of shall not be infringed do you not understand!"
Old July 30, 2009, 10:22 AM   #28
flight954

Yes I would have sold it to the woman. What she does with it after it leaves the store is her business.
Old July 30, 2009, 12:05 PM   #29
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight954
What she does with it after it leaves the store is her business.
I can't argue with that. However, as one who is not a gun absolutist but a pragmatist I must tell you that that argument will not "Play in Peoria" as one politico once said. Those individuals who will not take precautions when selling their guns privately to strangers will only feed the antigun agenda and eventually cause laws to be further passed (they are already there in some states) restricting private sales. As another famous person said I cannot remember who "If we don't police ourselves others will police us."

I don't want private sales restricted but I would never sell to a stranger without a background check. I like it that it is voluntary but I fear others not so scrupulous may cause it to become mandatory.
Old July 30, 2009, 04:47 PM   #30
markj

Some folks are waaay too uptight, wife and I went to a gun show, I saw a shotgun I really liked, she went back and got it then gave it to me as a present. We broke no laws as I have a permit. How do you know that guy didnt have one? He looked the weapon over told her to get it she did with lawful documentation, to disallow her the sale well I would call a lawyer right off and go from there.

To assume,

well you know the rest...... she broke no laws in that purchase Mrs. Cravits
Old July 30, 2009, 05:02 PM   #31
rshanneck2002

Shotguns and rifles are in a total different catagory than handguns., pistols are registered and rifles and shotguns usually are not, although they still run a check. at least they are in my state, MI
Old July 30, 2009, 05:16 PM   #32
MLeake

None of them are registered in FL or GA

but BATFE still requires FFL to record the transaction, and the required form asks directly if the buyer is purchasing for his own use.
Old July 30, 2009, 05:18 PM   #33
Dragon55

I've never been asked to present a driver's license when I've bought a vehicle...... ever!

If the lady has all the necessary paperwork sell her the gun.

If I was in a store with someone(and not buying anything) and the clerk asked me for ID I'd tell him/her to stuff their self.

..... yes and if I was buying a gun to do bad things it wouldn't be a handgun anyway.
Old July 30, 2009, 05:22 PM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
if the buyer is purchasing for his own use.
So how do I answer that question as a father of a 19 year old if I am buying him a gun?
Brent
Old July 30, 2009, 07:39 PM   #35
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
So how do I answer that question as a father of a 19 year old if I am buying him a gun?
Brent
If your intention is to give that gun to your son as a gift, then you answer "YES" I am the actual purchaser of this firearm. Your intended "use" of that firearm is to give it as a gift. Gifts of firearms to any person who is eligible to POSSESS that firearm are legal, regardless of who the giver is.
Old July 30, 2009, 07:41 PM   #36
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj
Some folks are waaay too uptight, wife and I went to a gun show, I saw a shotgun I really liked, she went back and got it then gave it to me as a present. We broke no laws as I have a permit. How do you know that guy didnt have one? He looked the weapon over told her to get it she did with lawful documentation, to disallow her the sale well I would call a lawyer right off and go from there.
I am just curious. Call a lawyer for what?!?

Last edited by NavyLT; July 30, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old July 30, 2009, 08:29 PM   #37
MLeake

showing a driver's license when buying a vehicle isn't required

because you don't have to have a driver's license to own a vehicle. You have to have one to drive it, but that's not up to the dealer to enforce.

OTOH, BATFE requires the FFL dealer to establish that you are a state resident of the state in which you are receiving the transferred firearm. Standard way to establish that is via DL. Your CCW/CHL won't cut it, because so many states have out-of-state permits; my FL permit started as in-state, but is now out-of-state. I notified FL as required, but they didn't ask for my old permit or mail me a new one, they just said "ok, we'll update the database" and that was that. Nowhere on my FL CCW does it indicate that I am not a FL resident.

So, the dealer will want to see your DL, to establish state residency. Depending on where you live, there may be additional requirements (handgun purchase permit in NC, for example). If you have a CCW/CHL etc, showing that can eliminate the waiting period for purchase.

In other words, don't blame the dealer. Blame BATFE and Congress, if you want, for limiting handgun sales to state residents only.
Old July 30, 2009, 09:25 PM   #38
B.N.Real

You guys make me real nervous for all the gun sellers out there.

The sting operations mentioned do indeed use the endless resources of the governement to just close down any store tagged doing a sale they thought was legal.

So what do you do?

Not sell to anyone that has a person with them that handles the gun first?

How do you protect yourself from something like this if all of her paperwork and i.d. are valid and she never says that she is giving the gun to someone else?