Old January 30, 2019, 08:59 PM   #1
ManyMag

Training base

https://blog.suarezinternational.com...iyf62re2EOFDb4

Food for thought.
Old January 30, 2019, 09:02 PM   #2
TunnelRat

"Does the lion weep over killing the zebra?"

No he doesn't. He also doesn't bother with these self righteous blog posts that present himself as the prevailing authority in an industry from which he generates his income.

"Even if the lion was outnumbered by armed and belligerent zebras."

I have to say this presented me with one of the best mental images I've had in some time. It was appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 30, 2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old January 30, 2019, 10:21 PM   #3
shurshot

Sorry, not impressed, only made it half way through, had to stop as my BS meter went off. Sounds like someone read Jeff Cooper's "Principals of Personal Defense", and decided to rewrite it, casting themself as Cooper. Too many self proclaimed experts out there already, and yet, another arises.
Old January 30, 2019, 11:16 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Quote:
another arises.
Gabe is not new to the training game. He taught at Front Sight when it opened in Bakersfield Ca. After that fell apart for him he opened his own training company and has been going after it since then.
Old January 31, 2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Fishbed77

What a load of self-indulgent and self-aggrandizing drivel.

Somehow, I made it to the end where he lamented law enforcement as "community helpers" versus "demon hunters."

Sorry dude, this mentality is exactly what is wrong with policing in this country today, and a sign of a greater societal illness.

Last edited by Fishbed77; January 31, 2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old January 31, 2019, 02:36 PM   #6
Fishbed77

One of my close friends served in FORECON in Afghanistan, and loved combat. He truly enjoyed it and is not afraid to share that it was fun for him.

And he's also open that having someone to talk to afterwards was critical for him and many others, whether you loved combat or not.

This shaming of the need for counseling after combat is frankly a bit sickening.

Last edited by Fishbed77; January 31, 2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old January 31, 2019, 04:16 PM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
"But consider the lion. When the zebra presents himself to the lion, the lion is not afraid. Even if the lion was outnumbered by armed and belligerent zebras. The lion smiles inwardly, pleased at the opportunity to manifest his existence and being as a lion. So he is happy when he chases, catches, and kills the zebra."
I think that's a bad analogy.

The zebra doesn't "present" itself to anyone. It eats grass and bushes. We're talking self defense, here. Of course the lion has no remorse. It has to eat.

If the zebra pulled out a gun and shot it, that's more aligned with the proper analogy.

That was just silly....
Old January 31, 2019, 05:38 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Jackalope View Post
I think that's a bad analogy.

The zebra doesn't "present" itself to anyone. It eats grass and bushes. We're talking self defense, here. Of course the lion has no remorse. It has to eat.

If the zebra pulled out a gun and shot it, that's more aligned with the proper analogy.

That was just silly....
Remember, they are in fact armed and belligerent zebras. Do you think they hold their weapons in their mouths, or would such a zebra walk on his hind legs?

Old January 31, 2019, 05:43 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Remember, they are in fact armed and belligerent zebras. Do you think they hold their weapons in their mouths, or would such a zebra walk on his hind legs?

Literally laughed my ass off

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 31, 2019, 06:26 PM   #10
ms6852

Could not read the whole thing, 21 years in the Army taught me one thing fear kept me alive and it goes hand in hand with bravery, has nothing to do with being cool.
Old January 31, 2019, 07:47 PM   #11
FireForged

I tried but I could not finish it. There isn't much in that article that I can honestly subscribe to. That's just me
Old February 1, 2019, 07:51 AM   #12
Bartholomew Roberts

It has been interesting to watch Mr. Suarez transition from “firearms trainer” to “controversial outsider” to “Is he still around?” Looks like he is in the early stages of transitioning to “Who?” and is trying to stave it off with clickbait.
Old February 1, 2019, 08:37 AM   #13
ManyMag

Fear is a powerful motivator.
It can act as a force multiplier or vacuum depending on the man.
It's understandably hard to discuss.
Old February 1, 2019, 09:59 AM   #14
briandg

my take on this. i read and re-read it and tried to fully understand it. i'm going to suggest the possibility that this man is developing schizoid thinking.

the utter conviction of how he speaks endorses this, almost nobody could write an essay like that without leaving clues of parody. instead, his zebra attack scenario appears to be meant seriously.
Old February 1, 2019, 11:53 AM   #15
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg View Post
my take on this. i read and re-read it and tried to fully understand it. i'm going to suggest the possibility that this man is developing schizoid thinking.

the utter conviction of how he speaks endorses this, almost nobody could write an essay like that without leaving clues of parody. instead, his zebra attack scenario appears to be meant seriously.
The sad thing is that there will be inexperienced shooters young and old that will drink the "Kool-Aid" and this type of opinionated talk will be taken as fact.
Old February 1, 2019, 11:54 AM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
Oh my impressions is he absolutely believes every word of it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 1, 2019, 11:08 PM   #17
briandg

Yes. He is spreading a dangerous heresy that everyone of us should fear. To go out and fearlessly stalk the wild zebra, and when a threat presents itself, use the inner predator and get the job done without remorse or fear or hesitation?

He's talking about being the western gunfighter. he even refers to a gunfighter in the page.

A lion takes no joy in killing a gazelle. It yells "woo hoo, kids, it's food"! An hour later, a gazelle could pee on the lion's feet and he won't even swish his tail.

Hunter of demons?

This is all that I need. He posted this on a publicly accessible forum, advising people to emulate him. He is a predator, a hunter of demons, and he makes no attempt to remind people that killing isn't the goal, and that it had better be a last choice, or a time of extreme danger.

Hunter of demons isn't a job. It's a mental disorder.
Old February 3, 2019, 11:42 AM   #18
ManyMag

When you get past petty likes or dislikes of an individual you could learn more about the positive or negative impact emotions can have on your training.
Labeling a target may actually benefit but I doubt that subject can continue on a forum.
Old February 3, 2019, 03:00 PM   #19
briandg

You must not be reading my posts clearly, that isn't an issue of like or dislike. I take issue with the fact that what he is saying, step by step and over and over is identical to what a person with some undifferentiated psychosis would be saying. There is not a single line or sentence that presents a truly rational way of thinking.

What he very clearly espoused was completely inappropriate for personal defense, and barely appropriate for wartime with the possibility of civilian casualties.

The only thing that he said that made sense was that if a zebra attacks you it's a bad thing.

The suggestion that our police should stop mediating domestic disputes and fixing tires, and completely forego "serve and protect" and become the guy from Doom is absolutely insane. I don't know what kind of person he is to be able to say that.

This has nothing to do with dislike. The issue that a well balanced individual should have against his post is that it is all wrong.
Old February 3, 2019, 03:10 PM   #20
briandg

Gabe said:

Quote:
He is happy at the opportunity to express his “lionhood”.
He sees a zebra armed with a CZ (what else would a zebra use?) and is expressing his joy.

(youtube)

My wife has done something incredibly cruel to me. She just sang a parody of the rocky theme.

Quote:
It's the eye of the zebra , it's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all with the eye of the zebra.
I'm never going to get that song out of my head now.

Last edited by briandg; February 3, 2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old February 4, 2019, 12:56 AM   #21
Cheapshooter

Sounds like Mall Ninja 101!

"
Quote:
The lion does not warn the zebra he is coming to kill him. There is a great deal of importance as to how one sets his perspective on things...about how one gets their mind right. We need more predators and far fewer prey.

Which one are you?
"

I am the level headed survivor. Willing and able to do what is necessary to end the threat. Whether the assailant survives or not is irrelevant. Only that the threat is ended.

This Mall Ninja sounds like he is training cold blooded killers to go looking for trouble just to ply their newly learned "skills".
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 4, 2019, 02:11 AM   #22
briandg

Cheapshooter said:

Quote:
I am the level headed survivor. Willing and able to do what is necessary to end the threat. Whether the assailant survives or not is irrelevant. Only that the threat is ended.
wisdom to remember.

Hunting zebra is expensive and hard. Shooting a zebra out of season and without a license and harvest tag is going to put someone in a world of hurt, especially if that zebra turns out to be an unarmed fawn who only had a replica star wars blaster.
Old February 6, 2019, 06:45 AM   #23
OhioGuy

This article was really, really weird to me. Smacks of "it's getting late, and I really have to write a blog article that will sound edgy." Reacting cooly under stress is one thing -- relishing the opportunity to kill is something else entirely.

Really, really not sure where he was going with that.

But I do like his videos on using red dot sights.
Old February 6, 2019, 06:51 AM   #24
OhioGuy

Quote:
He sees a zebra armed with a CZ (what else would a zebra use?) and is expressing his joy.
It's generally known among zoologists that only Eastern European zebras carry CZs. Lions live in Africa, and the two are unlikely to meet. Now, the TRUE animal to emulate is the All 'Murican Bison, which is typically seen carrying an 8" barreled Colt six-shooter out on the plains. The super cool ones wear Stetsons. They have no fear. They revel in the opportunity to be what they are.

<Good/Bad/Ugly Theme plays quietly in the background...>

I mistakenly reread the article. Wow.
Old February 6, 2019, 10:24 AM   #25
Unconventional

Gabe Suarez?...

Never heard of her.