The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2013, 09:28 PM   #1
rebs

lanolin based case lube ?

does lanolin based case lube such as Dillon need to be vigorously cleaned or removed after sizing ?
I have used Hornady one shot and also rcbs case lube 3 with the lube pad and never had to do anything to remove the lube after sizing.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I usually tumble any kind of lube off in plain corncob in a vibratory cleaner so my hands stay free of lube when my hands go from handling brass to handling primers. It also helps avoid collecting dust and grit on the cases that you then run through your gun. You also don't want it building up in your chamber. But the complete removal is not required for any of those purposes except primer contamination (I would not handle primers with lube on my fingers). Wiping the finished rounds off with a rag is good enough for that. It's certainly not necessary to be hospital clean about it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 8, 2013, 11:13 PM   #3
jag2

Have to? Probably not but I always do, Unclenick's explanation is a pretty good one. (as always) It's not like it's a lot of work to dump them back in the tumbler and turn a switch and I don't have to worry about my fingers getting sticky later on.
Old March 9, 2013, 01:40 AM   #4
jcwit

As the other poster said, probably not required. But I do rinse my cases out in gas, ya I know its flamable, so is filling my lawn mower in the summer, I let them dry for an hour or 2 then tumble them. Reason I do it this way is I do not like to clog up my media with the sizing lube. I reuse the gas many many times and it works like a charm.

My process is to deprime, I do it by hand, I then resize, I then rinse to remove case lube, then tumble, then prime, then charge and seat/crimp the bullet. Crimp if required. Others do it differently, but this is the way I like to do it, and this is how I've been doing it for over 50 years.
Old March 9, 2013, 07:52 AM   #5
rebs

I clean the brass in the tumbler first then I size and de prime in one step, then prime later with a hand primer and then when I am ready to load I add the powder and bullet seating step. When using rcbs lube pad or Hornady spray, I have not cleaned any lube off the cases and have had no problems. That is why I asked the question about cleaning the lube off, I guess maybe I should start doing it.
Yes it is easy to dump the brass in the vibratory cleaner, but it a pain taking it out of the media.
Old March 9, 2013, 01:43 PM   #6
GTOne

By the time I have resized .223, then reprime, load, then check in a gauge, weigh them for empties on my digital(just in case), there is very little lube left. I can't really tell or feel any, I load them into mags or box them up. Been fine that way for me and my process.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:41 PM   #7
mjes92

Dillion will tell you it has absolutely no effect. I asked. I just make sure it has time to dry. Its always a benifit to keeping things clean.
NRA - Life Member
Old March 10, 2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Keep in mind that Dillon makes progressive presses that handle the primers for you. Between opening the box over their flipping tray and using their pickup tubes and all the way to the machine, you never need to touch one. A lot of folks using a single stage press may be picking each one up with their fingers. In theory you are supposed to wear gloves or use plastic tweezers. I don't know anybody who bothers with either.

Rebs,

Ordinary mineral spirits will wash lube off. So will naphtha. You'll need to let the cases dry longer afterward than with gasoline, but neither the fire nor the fume inhalation hazard will be nearly as significant.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 10, 2013, 02:31 PM   #9
GWS

Quote:
I clean the brass in the tumbler first then I size and de prime in one step, then prime later with a hand primer and then when I am ready to load I add the powder and bullet seating step. When using rcbs lube pad or Hornady spray, I have not cleaned any lube off the cases and have had no problems. That is why I asked the question about cleaning the lube off, I guess maybe I should start doing it.
Yes it is easy to dump the brass in the vibratory cleaner, but it a pain taking it out of the media.
Using lanolin/alcohol lube before you size (let it dry on the brass first), and using your steps and order after, you will not have any problem priming, charging, and seating......you will have softer fingers. As one poster noted, most of the lube comes off by the time your round is finished.

The thinking is, if you put away such ammo, there might be the possibility of one or more of the following: attracting dirt and other crud to the brass surface, eventual build-up crud in your gun's chamber. Actually that is more true with your RCBS lube pad.

Does the slight amount of lanolin prevent brass from tarnishing so fast? Don't know...maybe...could be a plus. Does it build-up fast in a chamber....no. You ought to be keeping that clean from burned powder particulates anyway.

That said, I like to finish a nice new reloaded batch of finished rounds in a 15 minute run in clean corn cob in the tumbler. Its a bling thing for me.

Separating is a breeze with this: (save your $35 and buy it...well worth it...and buy your corncob freight-free from drillspot.com....then you can afford to use it on that extra step.)

Last edited by GWS; March 10, 2013 at 02:41 PM.