The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 22, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
exphys2010

Help with choosing a new lever gun

Hey fellow firearm enthusiasts, I am wanting to purchase a 45-70 lever action rifle, and I am currently debating between a new Marlin 1895 guide gun and a Rossi Rio grande. Does anyone have any experience good or bad that could give me a suggestion on which one to go with? The Rossi is a full 100 dollars cheaper and seems to have more bells and whistles, such as a bit longer barrel, a larger loop lever, and a scope mount. But Im assuming that the Marlin is made with a lot more STEEL since it is a full inch and a half shorter, but weighs a pound an a half more, which leads me to believe that it can handle hotter loads. Will the 18.5 inch barrel drastically decrease accuracy on the Marlin Guide gun? Despite the fact that Marlin historically made good firearms, I have to wonder about the quality of the Marlin since it is being made by Remington these days. I know Rossi is made out of Brazil through Taurus manufacturing, and a lot of people knock Taurus, but I have never had a problem with a single Taurus firearm. So as you can see I am having a tough choice and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old August 23, 2013, 06:33 PM   #2
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by exphys2010

I am wanting to purchase a 45-70 lever action rifle, and I am currently debating between a new Marlin 1895 guide gun and a Rossi Rio grande.
Does anyone have any experience good or bad that could give me a suggestion on which one to go with?

The Rossi is a full 100 dollars cheaper and seems to have more bells and whistles, such as a bit longer barrel, a larger loop lever, and a scope mount.

Im assuming that the Marlin is made with a lot more STEEL since it is a full inch and a half shorter, but weighs a pound an a half more, which leads me to believe that it can handle hotter loads. -

Don't assume (you know what that does) - The Marlin as always had (in all CF levergun models) a notoriously-thin barrel thickness over the receiver threads, that should limit hotter loads, if a shooter's shoulder doesn't do so first.

Will the 18.5 inch barrel drastically decrease accuracy on the Marlin Guide gun? -

Barrel length has little effect on accuracy.

Despite the fact that Marlin historically made good firearms, I have to wonder about the quality of the Marlin since it is being made by Remington these days.-

You're not alone - everybody's wondering, including those folks who went ahead and bought a Remlin.

I know Rossi is made out of Brazil through Taurus manufacturing, and a lot of people knock Taurus, but I have never had a problem with a single Taurus firearm.-

I have - but not usually with a levergun (Model 92). That said, buyer posts seem to indicate spotty QC on the other (non-M92) leverguns. IMO a buyer should only buy one after a hands-on detailed inspection.

For someone wanting a .45-70 levergun, I'd recommend:

1) An older (pre-Remington) Marlin of any age, 1972, onward.

2) A Winchester/Miroku Model 1186/86, especially the M86EL.

3) An original Winchester M1886/86.

4) (maybe) A new Henry

Old August 23, 2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Stephanie B

You're not considering the Henry?
Old August 23, 2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Grizz12

I saw the Henry 45/70 in my LGS and they are just as smooth as their .22's, like butter, but I've never shot one.

I love my old model Marlin
Old August 23, 2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Axelwik

I have a pre-Remington Guide gun and it's one of my all-time favorite rifles (and cartridges). I also have a newish (Remington-made) 336 and it's fine... just as good as any JM Marlin I've had.

I also have a newish Rossi 92 in 44 Mag and it's Just as good or better than the Marlins I've had. After cleaning the action, cycling it a few hundred times, and throwing some Tru-Oil on the stock it's slicker than snot, looks good, lightweight, and very accurate.

Marlin or Rossi, they'll both benefit from some TLC.

Today I handled a new Henry at the LGS (45 Colt), and my Marlins and a Rossi have a much slicker action. I heard that Henrys are very slick out of the box, but that wasn't my experience today. (And the Henry cost twice as much as a Rossi.)

Last edited by Axelwik; August 23, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old August 24, 2013, 04:36 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

One consideration may be parts & service down the road.
Rossi doesn't make parts easily available for leverguns, as a rule.
Denis
Old August 24, 2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Bill Daniel

Help with choosing a new lever gun

Just my two cents, though probably worth only half of that is my recent purchase of the Henry 010 45-70. I only have twenty rounds through it but the action is smooth and sure. It points quickly and naturally for me. The XS ghost ring makes for fast target acquisition. I will have to practice a lot more with these nearly 60 year old eyes before hunting season and decide on whether a scope is needed or not.
There is a nice article in this months American Rifleman on the Henry 45-70.
All the best,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old August 25, 2013, 08:49 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Someone in The Firing Line Gun Show is selling a stainless Marlin guide gun in 45-70.
Old August 26, 2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Sierra280

+1 to exphys2010

I am also wondering what would be a good lever gun, a local pawn shop I stopped at last week had about a dozen 94 winchesters, I almost bought one, 1894 30wcf (serial put it at 1939 production) had a side mount, period correct weaver scope (looked like it was installed when the gun was new). Decent condition but I just wasn't sure. Could have got it for $400.

So what is a good lever gun?? I'm partial to the 30-30
Old August 26, 2013, 08:45 PM   #10
20thru45

Location: In the first foothills of the Cascade mountains outside Portland OR
1895 Marlin guide gun

I've got an 1895 Marlin guide gun which I like but, I might sell do to circumstances.

It's a light, handy, short, weather resistant SS rifle that packs a punch up close. Its a little problematic at long range but, can be effective at long range by truly dedicated individuals.

Truthfully I prefer a handy, short, weather resistant, SS rifle with controlled round feed chambered in .338 Win Mag for most of the same applications.
Old August 26, 2013, 09:08 PM   #11
steveNChunter

I'd seriously consider the Henry for a .45-70. Same basic design as the Marlin but the QC and fit & finish seems alot better than the newer Marlins.

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm
Old August 26, 2013, 10:17 PM   #12
mehavey

I have a series of Marlins, both pre and post Remington. My Guide Gun is, in fact, the later "RemLin" people love to hate.

I love it. Perfect size/handling, "good" finishing for a rough-country rifle, smoothest/most reliable feeding action for a large cartridge I've ever experienced, pre-drilled for integral scope mounts, and accurate as I could ever ask -- even with stout lead loads.

One recommendation: pull it apart (easy for you) on your kitchen table (hard for your wife) and install the widely available aftermarket "Happy Trigger."

See:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45...ml#post1065588
for a little more detail.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:48 PM   #13
reynolds357

I have a regulat 1895 MArlin 45-70. Its about 15 years old. Functions fine. App 2 MOA. Decent rifle.
Old August 28, 2013, 07:48 PM   #14
coldbeer

Love my Remlin, the henry looks good but you have to remove the magazine tube to reload which sounds like a pia.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:16 PM   #15
myfriendis410

The one I am working on getting is the Marlin 1895 Cowboy. It has a 26" full octagon barrel and a full length magazine tube. A fellow club member bought one a few years back (before they discontinued it) and has never used it. He has volunteered that it's mine if I want it.
Old August 29, 2013, 12:08 AM   #16
loademwell

Been my favorite for years. Marlin 336 in the 35 Rem. Talk about a perfect deer slayer. Good to about 150 yards. 1 shot, deer goes down or leaves a blood trail that's about a foot wide. And when you get used to it, Its fast....
After sighting it in, I like to make 3 pop cans jump in less then 5 sec. at the 50 yard line...
Great gun that I would never get rid of.
DOWN SIDE: Where do you buy the rounds?
Old August 29, 2013, 12:16 PM   #17
dgludwig

Well, probably not at WalMart, but most gun shops and large sporting good stores (i.e., Cabalas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop, etc.) where I shop at carry .35 Remington ammunition.
Old August 29, 2013, 04:10 PM   #18
steveNChunter

Most online ammo seller's, (cheaper than dirt, midway, brownells, able ammo, natchez, etc) carry Hornady LEVERevolution (when it's in stock) in .35 rem. Its a dandy load with the 200 gr FTX bullet. Groups the best of anything I've ever shot in my .35 and supposedly has a higher MV than any other 200 gr .35 rem ammo.

Before the most recent shortage it could be bought anywhere all day long, but I don't know about now. I haven't shot up all of my inventory of it yet

Back to the OP's topic of .45-70, Hornady makes a 325 gr LEVERevolution load for it I believe. That's definitely what I would feed a .45-70 if I had one.
Old August 30, 2013, 07:57 AM   #19
SteelChickenShooter

Between the Rossi or the Marlin- I'd go with the Guide gun. If the Rossi cost's less with more bells & whistles, I'd ignore that and get the Guide gun.
Old August 30, 2013, 08:04 AM   #20
GunDude123

Marlin is a good gun. But if you have the money go with the HENRY!!!
Old August 30, 2013, 08:18 AM   #21
Rifleman1776

Wasn't a 45-70 but my Marlin .44 mag. couldn't find a 30" square target from bench rest at 25 yards.
It was an older one, the newer Remlins might be better. If you buy a Marlin do so only if you have return rights.
Personally, I would buy anything but a Marlin.
Old August 30, 2013, 10:22 AM   #22
ATW525

No complaints about my 1895GBL Remlin in either function or accuracy. It's really a fantastic little rifle. While I don't have a longer barreled .45-70 to compare it to, it's hard to imagine that there is going to be any significant mechanical accuracy gain from going longer.

I have not owned a Rio Grande, but my experience with other Rossi/Taurus made lever guns (M92s) has been nothing but positive. Based on that experience, I'd expect the Rio Grande to be a decent rifle.
Old August 30, 2013, 12:21 PM   #23
DPris
Member Emeritus

The LEVERevolution round is a hotter one, chronographed at a five-shot average of 2041 FPS out of a 30-inch Sharps last week.
Denis
Old August 30, 2013, 03:35 PM   #24
NoSecondBest

I own a Win 1886EL and love it. However, for just purely function and hunting, I'd suggest getting the Marlin (even the new ones, they're making them pretty good now). Why? You can buy 2.5 Marlins for the cost of the Win. I got the Win simply because I liked the design and wanted to get some "aftermarket" work done on it by Turnbull. The Marlin is every bit as strong and accurate. Put the money you save into a good Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 and you're still money ahead and have a GREAT hunting gun. I wouldn't even consider the Rossi simply due to customer service and parts issues.I know a lot of people who have them and most work fine. It's the ones that don't that become a problem. No problem with service from Remington. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old August 30, 2013, 03:43 PM   #25
dgludwig

Quote:
I own a Win 1886EL and love it.
Same here. And it's my opinion that the 1886 Winchester (aka Miroku) is worth two and a half Marlins-which isn't to say that Marlins are anything but fine firearms.