The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 2, 2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Rager907

Vince Noel Gun??

Hi All,
I recently came across a gun (well actually purchased it) that i am being told is a custom 270 made by "Vince Noel", with a Mauser action i was hoping that someone one this forum would be able to tell me a little about this gun, the barrel (Douglas) appears to be bright and shiny as i had the chance to run a bore scope down the inside, i had purchased this rifle for $400.00 from a estate sale, Is this a good purchase, I really liked the weight and feel of the gun is what made me buy this.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Old July 2, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2
RJay

From the end of WWII until the , what, the late 60's or early seventys? every gun book and magazine had detailed directions on how to convert that cheap, ugly war rifle into a bea-tee-full hunting firearm. This inclued the M1 and M1 carbines. I'm as guilty as anyone else in that era, I spent many a evening building myself custom rifles. There were several companies listed in the American Rifleman selling pre-cut stocks ( of your choice of wood for extra $$ ) and other companies that would install the barrel of your choice. The parts houses had tons of after market parts. There were many custom rifles built that now sell for less than they are really worth. Many of todays custom gunsmiths got their start building these guns. I can't find the name of Vince Noel { he was proud enought to put his name on it } and with out pictures it is difficult to tell you anything valid, but any well built custom rifle built with a Douglas barrel. is worth more than what you paid. JMHO and I have another stack out in the garage.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Rager907

RJay,
Thank you for the help, I will try and get some pictures of this thing up in the next couple of days, but I do appreciate your response.

RJay,
Please see attached image per your request, hope this helps a bit, if you need more detail of the rifle, please let me know.
Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130701_210502_232.jpg (245.7 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Rager907; July 3, 2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Attaching picture
Old July 4, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4
RJay

Well, I was hoping others would jump in, maybe the water is too cold. Oh well, From what I see you have a very well made hunting rifle that will out last you and your heirs. The real proof is in the shooting. If it puts the bull-lits where you want them, then the rifle and scope is well worth what you paid. It really looks like a well made ( not fancy ) hunting gun.
Old July 5, 2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Jim Watson

I never heard of Vince Noel, but you show a typical post WWII sporter conversion of an Army surplus rifle.
It is not a Mauser, it is a US Model 1917, originally .30-06, therefore a straightforward rebarrel to .270.

It is a very complete and thorough sporterizing job. Look up the 1917 US "Enfield" and you can see all the work ol Vince did. He removed the receiver sight and cut off the protective "ears" to allow a low scope mount. He straightened out or replaced the potbellied trigger guard/magazine well bottom metal to give a smoother profile. He pretty much turned it into a Remington Model 30.
The stock is a generic replacement likely from Bishop or Fajen. The brand name might be on the buttplate.

It is certainly $400 worth of hunting rifle, especially since you say you like the weight.
Old July 8, 2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Rager907

All,
Thank you very much for your help and detailed information.
Very much appreciated.