The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 3, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Lavid2002

i want to buy a muzzle loader where can I study them?

I recently shot a muzzle loader for the second time in my life...once at a hunters test, and another at the range a few days ago. These things are REALLY fun!!! I am big into research and if I buy a muzzle loader I want to go with a reputable, mid-priced gun that I can hunt with, shoot at the range, etc.. I know almost nothing about them. I know how to load and operate one (The basics) And I reload my centerfire ammunition. Anyone have any websites where I can learn about bullets, lube, types of rifles, accuracy, ROT for a .50 cal muzzy, etc...

Thanks guys!

-Dave
Old September 3, 2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Doyle

In my opinion, the best bang for the buck is the Thompson Center Omega Z5. It sells for less than $300 at Walmart (I bought mine after season last year on clearance for $200). I upgraded from a bolt-action CVA that was accurate but not as easy to load as the more modern Omega.

If you want to learn more, go to the Thompson Center website. They have a series of videos about shooting ML's that are pretty good. They are slightly schewed towards T/C products and I take mild disagreement with the way they don't clean the barrel and remove the breech plug between shots but other than that, they are pretty good.
Old September 3, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Dannyl

This is where you want advise from a person, directly

Hi Lavid22,
I recently qualified as an RO in a club where we own (leased an old military range form the govt) a range. seeing that our duties will include supervision of people shooting muzzle loaders we had a chap from a local ML club who gave a good lecture and demonstration, including potential safety hazards to watch for.

Other than loading form the muzzle, the most significant difference from cartridge firearms, is that Muzzle Loaders use black-powder, which CAN and WILL EXPLODE if handled incorrectly.

Therefore, if you want to pursue this (which I also think must be lots of fun) I strongly recommend that you contact a club in your area, find people who are experienced with Muzzle Loaders, and get from them advise in person.
Reading on the net is fine for general knowledge, but I would not want to risk listening to someone that I cannot verify that he really knows what he is talking about.

Brgds,

Danny
Old September 3, 2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Pahoo

Well !!

Not sure what you mean by studying them? Are you talking about Traditionals or In-Lines? If you want the history, romance and excitement and still something to shoot, look at the traditionals. If you just want to shoot something, look at the inlines. There are many great resources out there and one of the best, is books by Sam Fadala. The last one I got was a Lyman. I also have the various editions of Del books, again, by Sam Fadala. As far as websites, yes, go to TC, Traditions, CVA, The Possibles Shop, Lyman and gees, there is just a ton of places you can go. While you are at it, google NMLRA. M/L's are great fun and lethal. You came to the right place for assist.

I teach and promote all M/L's but my passion is in my sidelocks.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 3, 2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Lavid2002

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by studying them? Are you talking about Traditionals or In-Lines? If you want the history, romance and excitement and still something to shoot, look at the traditionals. If you just want to shoot something, look at the inlines. There are many great resources out there and one of the best, is books by Sam Fadala. The last one I got was a Lyman. I also have the various editions of Del books, again, by Sam Fadala. As far as websites, yes, go to TC, Traditions, CVA, The Possibles Shop, Lyman and gees, there is just a ton of places you can go. While you are at it, google NMLRA. M/L's are great fun and lethal. You came to the right place for assist.

I teach and promote all M/L's but my passion is in my sidelocks.
I have a couple semis like an ar15 10/22 a shotgun, etc.... Im not really looking for something to shoot. If i want to ill just go bang bang with one of those. I would like a muzzle loader for the following reasons
*I want something I can hunt with in NJ
*I think loading the charge, cocking the hammer, and capping rifle is awesome.
*I love how you can feel the charge building up in the gun, its not a CRACK its KATHOOOMMMM
Im not sure, I think I want a Modern muzzle loader because they are accurate, easy to clean, use 209 primers, etc.... But I like the whole cap thing, where you cock the hammer, cap the "Nipple'? and let er rip!

Im not sure....I need to know more. I dont really want to spend too much though : / Im trying to save for a motorcycle...
Old September 3, 2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Moloch

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/