The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 11, 2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Barber2678

Old Shotgun Shells

I bought a case (20 boxes) of Western Xpert Super Skeet 16 Ga. paper shotgun shells in the original cardboard box this afternoon. They are in great shape for being 30+ years old and went unopened up until the last year or so when the guy I purchased them from wanted to "see what type of shape they were in". Apparently they came out of an older gentleman's garage sale several years back.

I am a little ashamed of how little I gave for them so i will not share the sales price right now. I am curious as to whay their actual value might be. And no, they are not, nor will they ever be, for sale as long as I am still drawing a breath.

Anyone care to make an [educated] guess on value?

Last edited by Barber2678; July 11, 2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Pic added
Old July 11, 2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Russ5924

Being paper and they look like they got wet the cases may have swelled, and may not fit in your shotgun. Years ago when all we had was paper to reload we put them in the oven to shrink them down. Was very happy when they came out with plastic cases Please don't put loaded shells IN YOUR OVEN
Old July 11, 2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Barber2678

No moisture ever made it to the interior of the shipping box. The shell boxes only have a little "shelf wear" from being in the box for all those years.
Old July 12, 2009, 11:20 AM   #4
johnbt

What do the boxes look like? Any pretty pictures on them? They could be worth $10 or $50 or more.

I try to never pay more than a quarter or fifty cents for a paper 28 ga. shell at a gun show because I shoot them. It seems to be the old boxes with pretty pictures that bring the big money, not the plain ones like this. I think I paid $10 or $15 for this box, but I really don't remember.

Old July 12, 2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Barber2678

To me a large part of the value is the fact that it is a complete case. Here is a photo of one of the boxes.

Old July 13, 2009, 08:22 AM   #6
johnbt

It appears to be from the 1950s. Here is a similar full box of 16 ga. Xpert shells that sold for $19. Plus shipping of course.

Item 1103

www.wardscollectibles.com/viewcat.php?category=1

I don't know enough about shell collecting to know if skeet loads are more or less popular to collectors or if anyone collects full cases. I would certainly guess they do.

Need to run for now, my client is here early.

John
Old July 15, 2009, 12:49 AM   #7
Falcon5NZ

Ask here

http://cartridgecollectors.org/forum
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!

Tags
16ga , gauge , paper , shells , shotgun