The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 8, 2008, 09:36 AM   #51
grymster2007

The mindset that the homeowner shot the criminal in an effort to protect his property rather than his person is a mindset very similar to that which sustains the anti crowd. None of us can know exactly what the homeowner’s thoughts, impressions and fears were as he investigated the commotion, so claiming he could have as easily retreated to cover while calling 911 is ludicrous.

It would be real nice if the home invader indicated to his victims up front that he really just wants the VCR, notebook and iPod. But since they are rarely so forthcoming and have already demonstrated the fact that they are brazen, violent criminals, I think shooting them is the most prudent course of action and criticizing someone else for doing so is naive at best.

It is unfortunate that someone lost their life and the fact it was a kid makes it no easier to stomach, but the kid felt little risk in doing what he did because society tolerates all sorts of abuse of law-abiding citizens while often protecting the abusers. And society behaves in this manner due in part to the mindset referenced above.

This shooting, as far as can be determined by the available evidence, was not only legally justified; it was morally justified.
Old August 8, 2008, 10:04 AM   #52
skydiver3346

Killing a buglar:

About killing a burglar:
Quit saying he is a 15 year old kid....How the hell is the home owner supposed to know he is only 15?
Is he required to say, "Excuse me sir, can you tell me how old you are before I shoot you?" A lot of kids are way bigger than me, (6 ft.+) and at night it is sort of hard to distinguish a young man or adult (especially when you are in fear of your life or bodily harm). Lets quite making excuses for the criminals. Most of them already have a prior record and just keep getting off.
Who knows down the road if the bad guy didn't kill or rape another victim (because he got away with this one).
Bottom line: Sure he might have handled it better,if he had a lot of time to reflect on it, but at the time he was just reacting to the situation. Does that make him right or wrong? Who really knows all the answers to each situation like this, NOBODY does...........Its easy to read about this days later and make a judgement but its a lot different being there and actually experiencing it firsthand. Belive me, I know because I was robbed at knifepoint by 5 dudes in Macon, GA (Hilton hotel) some time back and had no weapon myself to fend them off and had to just take it. Scared the hell out of me for a long time afterwards. I since got a weapons permit and carry a .45 auto in certain places. Hope to God I never have to use it but it is there if need be.