The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 31, 2006, 05:44 PM   #1
irishguy

Cleaning Stock Checkering

This question has probably been asked a thousand times but I searched the archives but couldn't find anything.

I have a 1957 Browning superposed 12 ga. Field Grade shotgun that is in great shape except for the checkering being very dirty or blackcolored. I really don't want to refinish the wood, just clean out the checkering. Is there a safe, easy or idiot-proof way to accomplish this without me doing any damage? The Blonde colored stock is really nice but the "dirty" checkering is really an eye sore, in my opinion.

Thanks for your help, in advance.
Old January 31, 2006, 06:42 PM   #2
rangermonroe

Have you tried mineral spirits and a toothbrush?

You may want to try an out of sight spot to make sure that the finish itself wont disolve, first.
Old January 31, 2006, 07:30 PM   #3
irishguy

Cleaning Stock Checkering

Thanks ranger. Makes sense. Never thought of mineral spirits. I'll give it a try.
Old January 31, 2006, 09:58 PM   #4
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
Murphy's Oil Soap and a medium flex toothbrush - doesn't hurt the wood, and comes off pretty quickly.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old February 1, 2006, 06:12 AM   #5
irishguy

Cleaning stock checkering

Thanks Hipower-now I have two options to consider. Seems like the Murphy's Oil Soap may be safer. Maybe I'll try this first.
Old February 2, 2006, 09:44 AM   #6
brickeyee

Paint thinner is probably safer than Murphy's and water. While Murphy's is good for cleaning intact finishes, it is a bad idea on raw wood or damaged finishes.
Old February 2, 2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Mike in Michigan

I have had excellent results using the un-scented mineral spirits & toothbrush. Works same as regular stuff but you don't have to contend with the smell next to your face.
I agree with Brickeyee regarding the risk of using soap and water on any worn finish. Chance of raising the finish and the grain.
Mike in Michigan