The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2008, 04:20 AM   #1
TexasSeaRay

Quality cast bullets for quality, consistent groups

There's a discussion going on regarding a newcomer to the cast bullets world. Pics posted of trials of this caster's bullets show a shotgun-ish looking pattern.

I've been trading e-mails with Mike at Mastercastbullets and I've ordered a batch of 44 caliber 240 LSWC bullets. He sent me a picture of an amazing group shot with his 200 LSWC 45 caliber bullets--same caliber as being debated in the Stonewall thread and where the pictures I refer to are located.

After chatting with Mike, I was curious to see what my own (now retired) casting guy's 45 caliber 200 LSWC bullets would do.

The following pic is a 15-shot group, shot handheld, slowfire, shooting 4.7 grains of Bullseye, distance is 50'. The gun is a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup stock right out of the box--I've never had a lick of work done to it.

I've been shooting at 3"x5" notecards for years. That's what our CO in my military unit made us shoot at--and the habit/challenge has kinda stuck with me.

Bad bullets will give you bad groups. If you're new to reloading, bad bullets can make you want to sell your equipment. Good bullets will help you get good groups. They will also give you the confidence and freedom to experiement with different powders and load.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.

Last edited by TexasSeaRay; January 26, 2008 at 02:25 PM.