The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 12, 2005, 05:49 AM   #26
Trxxx

..or maybe you just picked him up wrong. Maybe he fired 400 shots at 8 caribou and hit one in the kill zone....
Old June 12, 2005, 03:26 PM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

To clarify my somewhat flip original post:

An 8 shot fist-sized group (4") at 400 yards is pretty impressive shooting. I wouldn't immediately call BS just based on group size and distance although I'd be skeptical.

The fact that this feat was supposed to have been accomplished with a budget semi-auto rifle with hunting ammunition on a non-paper target (no clear aimpoint) and from a field position puts it solidly into the realm of wishful thinking.

I'm willing to be educated, but I think a person would be hard pressed to get an SKS to shoot 8 shot 4" groups at 200 yards under ideal conditions.

Last edited by JohnKSa; June 12, 2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old June 12, 2005, 04:00 PM   #28
Shorthair

Bs....

An 8 shot 4" group at 400 yards with a solid scoped bolt gun from a field rest by the average shooter is damn near unbelievable in my opinion, with an SKS its impossible. I'd challenge him to shoot a 4" 8 round group at 100 yards. Make it for something interesting, like his rifle. Hell, you can probably bet your truck and you'd still have an SKS in your safe by nightfall.
Old June 13, 2005, 05:51 PM   #29
the possum

I'm also calling BS. Take him to a range and see what kind of groups he really can shoot @ 400 yards with his SKS.

We used to have a "gong" set up 400 yards behind my dad's house. It was an inch thick steel plate, about a foot wide and two feet tall. After my buddy became flustered that he couldn't seem to hit it with his new .22-250, he told me to try with my SKS. I leaned over the hood of our old car, and hit it three times with three shots.

But, it wasn't moving, I had practiced on it plenty already, and I couldn't repeat that feat the next time I tried. I know I couldn't do it now, since I don't get to shoot much these days.

The bullets did leave considerable craters in the steel- they were not quite as deep as the ones left by my brother's .300 Win Mag, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be on the recieving end at that range. I do not doubt that they could penetrate deep enough to sever a major blood vessel at that range.
Old June 14, 2005, 07:09 AM   #30
dfaugh

Not bloodly likely

I have a pretty accurate SKS (-M) with a scope...I say pretty accurate based on what others have said they get from their guns. Now, on a bench, and shooting slowly, I can manage about 1.25-1.5 MOA, with good ammo. So putting them into a a fist sized hole at 400 yards is pretty implausible. But to put 8 rounds in, he'd have be shooting pretty fast, and there's no way with ANY of my SKSs I could fire, re-aquire the target, shoot and repeat, and place all the bullets into such a small area (or even a much larger one for that matter!)

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old June 14, 2005, 12:59 PM   #31
Shorthair

One other thing:

Isn't there a mag capacity violation here? Most hunting regs limit capacity to 5 rounds.
Just another reason I doubt the veracity.
Old June 17, 2005, 11:40 AM   #32
redhawk41

taking a 400 yd shot at a large game animal like an alaskan caribou with a cartridge like the 7.62x39 is both unethical and silly. the 7.62x39 is at best a 100 yd small deer cartridge. Rojoe67 has illustrated this, ballistically.

let's hope, for the sake of the caribou that this is BS
Old June 20, 2005, 10:35 PM   #33
guntotin_fool

put your teflon suit on, cuz this fellow is really slinging it.
Old June 20, 2005, 11:11 PM   #34
Lawyer Daggit

SKS's, like AK 47's are not designed for accurate shooting- I would be surprised if even casting aside the amount of holdover required, if his gun is doing better than pale size groups at 400 metres- I suspect he is BS'g.
Old June 21, 2005, 01:33 AM   #35
Pointer

I'd bet this "four-flusher" couldn't shoot a "fist-sized group" at 100 yds -

Benchrest!

With a 30-06!

Hell, I'm a pretty decent rifleman, and I would have trouble seeing a Caribou at 400 yards! Much less visualizing a fist-sized BULLs-eye on the target!
Old June 22, 2005, 05:53 PM   #36
Jseime

Uh-huh

yeah ill believe that. when i see an SKS chambered in .325 WSM.

but seriously who does he think hes gonna fool.

i know a guy with a 7mm-08 who shoots constantly and he actually put three shots into an area that could almost be covered with your hand at a dead run on an elk. of course this was only about 50 yards or so not 400 and i doubt he could do it twice