The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 11, 2005, 09:03 PM   #1
MLC

A little bit of practice and a PA groundhog

I've been after a family of groundhogs for a couple days and actually took a few shots at one while a friend was "on hold" the other day.
Today I got to connect, albeit from a hasty and precarious rest.
I got the sucker from 124 yards(laser measured, paced at 126) with my CZ 452 22lr, Leupold 2-7 Compact and a Remington Subsonic hollow point.
The precarious part was that I was resting on the post of a live electric fence.

The groundhog was moving around for quite a while and not giving me a shot until it poked it's head up under one of our Christmas tree funnels.
He was on the fieldstones we use for ballast and peeking out from under the fiberglass making the shot a little tricky because I didn't want to nick the fiberglass.

I'd previously laser ranged the area they've been frequenting and knew it was around 125 yards.
I set up some plywood(after my previous misses) and shot at the top edge to see what my drop was at that range with my current 50 yard zero.
The drop was approximately 12".
So I held the thick part of the duplex reticle just behind his ear.
Figuring my drop was a hair lower than the junction on the reticle.
This is where the fiberglass tension came into play because I was aiming right at it with the crosshairs.

Since it was subsonic ammo it took a bit for the sound of the whack to get to me and I saw the hog roll off the stones at about the same time.

In the pics above and below you can see the rocks he was perched on, sneaky SOB.

I said to my friend that it was really nice to see what practice, patience, marksmanship and a little luck will get you.
Old May 11, 2005, 09:10 PM   #2
esheato

Stop kidding yourself, luck had nothing to do with it.

You used a rangefinder and found the distance. You knew your rifle and the loads drop for that distance. You executed the shot with proper marksmanship (using a rest, trigger control). You had done your research and were prepared and the bullet connected. One shot, quick and painless.

If only every other hunter took as much preparation as you had, hunters would have a much better reputation.

Nice shot and great post.

Ed
Old May 12, 2005, 07:57 AM   #3
9mm1033

Punxsutawney Phil Beware. MLC is on the prowl. Nice shot!
Old May 12, 2005, 08:50 AM   #4
Twycross

Nice shot! But next time, maybe a few less pics? Its really slow loading for those of us unfortunate enough to be stuck with dial-up.
Old May 12, 2005, 11:04 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Punxsutawney Phil Beware
Ya beat me to it - I was gonna say, "he killed Punxsatawney Phil, y'all!". Ha. Very nice story, pics, and detail - good shooting!
Old May 12, 2005, 12:53 PM   #6
Big Yac

I've decided that I'm going to get out soon and shoot some groundhogs. Well Sunday I decided that since I havent shot my Winchester model 70 in .243 for alittle over a year I'd take it out and see how its shooting. I have several boxes of Federal classic 80gr ammo (which I have never used before) and to my surprise I had great groups at 300 yards. I also have a 3x-9.5x Leupold scope on the gun. I think I may just start using this .243 instead of my usual 30-06 for groundhogs