The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 8, 2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Pops1085

Are the Handi Rifles Still Made?

I'd like to purchase a new one for my nephew in 243. I thought I heard they were discontinued but they seem to be still on their website.

If they aren't it's a real shame. I've had a number of them over the years in combo shotgun/rifles. They aren't fancy, and probably not that accurate but I had a real soft spot for them.
Old July 8, 2018, 09:13 PM   #2
kymasabe

Yup, still made by H&R. I've had a couple, not bad for the price. If looking for single shot rifle, check out gunbroker for rossi's too.
Correction: I was wrong, I guess not made anymore. I thought h&r was still in business.

Last edited by kymasabe; July 9, 2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old July 8, 2018, 09:21 PM   #3
Ruga Booga

No they are not still made
Old July 8, 2018, 10:34 PM   #4
taylorce1

Remington closed the doors in 2015 on H&R. I've killed many a prairie dog and coyote with my Ultra Varmints in 223 Rem and .204 Ruger.
Old July 9, 2018, 01:25 AM   #5
KnightofCydonia

Savage Stevens started making them under their name.
Old July 9, 2018, 05:37 AM   #6
WV_gunner

Like they said, closed. Stevens does not make them now, they do offer a shotgun that looks nearly identical but no rifle. Rossi did have a similar gun, but they are discontinued as well but they still have the shotgun version. The only break action single shot rifles that aren’t exotic that are still made that I’m aware of is from Henry and Thompson.
Old July 9, 2018, 05:42 AM   #7
WV_gunner

I like the guns too, I’ve got 3: .30-06, .45-70, and .410. The .30-06 has some rather fancy wood and a medallion. The .410 is under a different name, Bridge Black Prince. I’d like more of these guns.
Old July 9, 2018, 06:52 AM   #8
FITASC

Henry is now making single shots
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 9, 2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Picher

Had one in .243 Win and it was okay, but I gave it to my grandson. He doesn't use it anymore, since he has an updated 721, .30-06.
Old July 9, 2018, 02:33 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Correction: I was wrong, I guess not made anymore. I thought h&r was still in business.
The H&R name is still being slapped on some import shotguns, but the classic break-action rifles and shotguns are long gone.

The investment board, through Remington, pushed for the design to be cheapened further and further, in order to boost profits while retaining market share, to the point that the only way to make it cheaper to manufacture was to not make it at all.

Used examples show up for sale regularly on the common 'gunlist' type classifieds, as well as the big auction sites and internet forum 'for sale' sections.
The biggest places for H&R/NEF-specific talk and classifieds are the GBO forums (Greybeard outdoors), the Marlinowners forum, and AR15.com (yea, yea, it sounds AR-specific, but it's also one of the biggest gun forums on the interwebs).
Old July 9, 2018, 05:04 PM   #11
Mike38

Quote:
They aren't fancy, and probably not that accurate but I had a real soft spot for them.
They can be accurate, but takes some doing. The GBO forum will give some pointers, such as keeping the locking mechanism dry, and spacer on the forearm lug, etc. After cooking up a reload for my .223 heavy barrel NEF Handi Rifle, I can shoot half inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards, with the best group being 0.44 inch.
Old July 10, 2018, 03:11 PM   #12
Geezerbiker

I had one in .44mag that wasn't too accurate but all the rest of them I have are keepers.

I lost my .45-70 in a bet to my grandson but he would have eventually gotten it anyway. I'm thinking about replacing it with a Henry single shot one of these days...

Tony
Old July 11, 2018, 06:38 PM   #13
Scorch

Marlin bought H&R in 2000, Remington bought Marlin in 2005. Remington announced they were no longer going to be making H&R Handi Rifles about 2 years ago. That said, you can still find them LNIB on GunBroker, GunsAmerica, AuctionArms, etc. A quick check and I found several of them.
Quote:
Savage Stevens started making them under their name.
No, they did not. Savage began offering a cheap single shot shotgun, not the Handi Rifle.
Quote:
Henry is now making single shots
Yes, and they look nicer than the Handi-Rifles, but also cost more.
Old July 11, 2018, 07:34 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
Yes, and they look nicer than the Handi-Rifles, but also cost more.
So?

If it is what you want, and it is made in the US, then buy it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 11, 2018, 07:43 PM   #15
ThomasT

Quote:
They aren't fancy, and probably not that accurate but I had a real soft spot for them.
I have one in 223 that I took to the range and with just blasting ammo I loaded for my Mini-14 I put 30 rounds into just over 1" at 100 yards. I was having so much fun I didn't realize I had shot so many rounds. The rounds were just duped in an ice cream tub and I just shot round after round.

I also bought a 16" barreled 357 that came with open sights from a special run and stupidly let my bud talk me out of it. He put some huge goofy cheap scope on it and at 50 yards he shoots the tacks off the targets at the range.

So some of us think there are decently accurate. But I have heard of inaccurate 243s and 35 whelens with bad rifling.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:47 AM   #16
Jakeway

IMO, the CVA break-action single shots are much better guns than the Handi-Rifles. I've got one of each, and my CVA Hunter in 7mm-08 has given me some 1.5" groups at 200 yards with a 2-7X Scope.

Last edited by Jakeway; July 12, 2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old July 12, 2018, 09:19 AM   #17
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeway
IMO, the CVA break-action single shots are much better guns than the Handi-Rifles.
They might be, I've never handled one of the CVA rifles. The CVA rifles weren't around when I bought my Handi Rifles. The writing was on the wall for H&R when their break action rifles started to cost as much as a bolt action rifle.
Old July 12, 2018, 09:53 AM   #18
hooligan1

I bought my #2 son a .270 win Handi-Rifle when he was 12, and in the following years I'd have H&R make barrels for him including a damn fine shooting 45-70, also his .223 barrel is one of the finest grouping rifles I have ever shot.
But that 45-70 is money for hitting anything quarter size at 100, it has a Pentax 4 power fixed on it, and with commercial ammo he will put 3 out of 4 in any bullseye at 100 yds, and it does it routinely.
Yes the barrels are heavy, and the rifles can seem a touch heavy for a lot of walking but the fine accuracy of that rifle still makes it his favorite, and he loans it on occasion to any fella in our group that doesn't have a rifle, and they have always cleanly taken game with that rifle....
He will pass it down to his oldest in 5-6 years for him to hunt with, but I'd bet the boy won't get the other barrels as Chris digs those dude way too much...
Old July 12, 2018, 04:23 PM   #19
WV_gunner

When I was a kid, forgot about these, I had a .223 and the next year a .243. I remember them being heavy compared to the .30-30 lever I had before them. But as an adult I’ve got a thick walled .45-70 NEF and it’s light compared to most rifles.

I had forgot about the CVA guns.
Old July 12, 2018, 04:37 PM   #20
Bbear

One rifle I wish I had back was a heavy barrel 223. Trigger was sweet at 3# and put my handloads into .5" all day long. Death on coyotes and a few deer. In a moment of weakness I sold it off. Kick myself to this day for that stupid move.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:35 PM   #21
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_gunner View Post
When I was a kid, forgot about these, I had a .223 and the next year a .243. I remember them being heavy compared to the .30-30 lever I had before them. But as an adult I’ve got a thick walled .45-70 NEF and it’s light compared to most rifles.

I had forgot about the CVA guns.
The trick to get a very light handy in 243 was to buy the youth model. The barrel was shorter and had a rapid taper. Super sweet. That would also require a stock swap. The choat plastic stock was lighter and provided an adult LOP. That could be ordered after market or from H&R. Most customers never did the home work. The locals knew all the tricks. You could walk right in the front door in Gardner Mass. No BS, paranoid security.

The Henry, all Henries for that matter, are built like a tank. I dont think that company is run by gun people or hunters. I wonder about CVA. I believe they have a scout II with specs that read good.
Old July 13, 2018, 06:32 AM   #22
kozak6

I'm really curious about the CVA's.

There tends to be some pretty good sales on their rifles (and pistols!!!), but absolutely no one will ever admit to having fired one.
Old July 13, 2018, 07:48 AM   #23
Jakeway

Academy Sports has CVA Hunter right now for $229.99, including a scope. (personally I'd throw away that scope and put on at least a Leupold VX-I or equivalent.)

My CVA Hunter 7mm-08 is the Youth model with shorter stock. I put on a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad, which lengthened the LOP to where it fits me well. (I'm 6 ft tall). The overall length of the gun is 3" less than a Ruger 10/22 and it weighs about the same. The stock feels solid and has regular sling studs, not the molded-in type that don't swivel.
Old July 13, 2018, 10:14 AM   #24
WV_gunner

I do have a CVA but it’s a .45 muzzleloader. Tack driver is all I can say. My dad had a .50 with a fluted barrel for a few years. I remember as a teenager he handed me the gun after he shot a tree and told me to hit the same spot. I did too. No rest but not far off either, 75 yards maybe. I keep forgetting CVA makes cartridge guns. I want one of their muzzle loader pistols.
Old July 15, 2018, 09:24 AM   #25
Ledslnger

After Remmy took control quality decreased. Go figure. I would not own anything with Remmy on it...unless it’s an older model. Their new stuff has a high % it’s going to be a lemon.