The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2018, 11:02 AM   #1
JeepHammer

Watching Some BAD Ideas On Facebook Pages...

The one completely idiot idea that's making its way around facebag is to ANNEAL case heads to make them 'Easier' to swage primer pockets!

The second was to hog out 'Loose' SMALL primer pockets to accept LARGE primers, even in a case as small diameter as .223

A guy in Florida that claims he sells more recycled brass than anyone else in the country (I've never heard of him, but that doesn't mean anything),
And the second is a recycled brass 'Processor' in Virginia.

Has anyone here tried, or even considered these practices?
Old June 7, 2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Don Fischer

Never even heard of them. They might work though I'll leave the genius that though of them to try!
Old June 7, 2018, 11:16 AM   #3
TXAZ

"When dealing with (anything) firearms, caution should be observed".

Maybe they haven't heard that one.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 7, 2018, 12:01 PM   #4
math teacher

Sounds like candidates for the Darwin awards.
Old June 7, 2018, 12:04 PM   #5
JeepHammer

Sounds like a REALLY good way to get case head blow-outs to me...
Old June 7, 2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Rottweiler

I'm with Math Teacher on this
Old June 7, 2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Chainsaw.

I do NOT understand the obsession some people have with large primers. Like 45 acp brass, if ya just fontvwant to deal with two different size primers, totally understandable. But the idea that somehow larges are betterer is just nutty to me, especially when you are taking the time to ream out primer pockets to switch between the two.
Old June 7, 2018, 12:42 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Kind of the reason you shouldn't get your education on any of the assorted "social' sites. Including YouTube.
Primer pocket swaging tools are steel. Steel will always be harder than brass. Annealing a case head to make it softer is also likely to be heating it too hot.
"...to accept LARGE primers..." Is just stupid.
Old June 7, 2018, 01:16 PM   #9
JeepHammer

The annealing issue is a non starter. The case head is 3/4 hard for a reason.

In .45 ACP cases, I guess if you have virtually no cases and a crap load of time then hogging out the primer pocket *Might* be acceptable...

But hogging out a .223 brass with small diameter case head, seems like it would unnecessary weaken the case.
Not to mention you created a small/large primer issue in .223 brass that will haunt you during every reload from then on!

By the time you blow out the primer pocket out on a .223 brass, it's time to retire the brass...

For me, these are non-starters, just wanted to know what you guys thought about it...
Old June 7, 2018, 01:21 PM   #10
USSR

Spending time on doing something to something plentiful and worth a couple of cents makes zero sense.

Don
Old June 7, 2018, 02:17 PM   #11
reddog81

Are these people selling this brass? If so that seems like a big mistake and hopefully the brass comes with a warning that it has been compromised.

Do they convert .223 to large pistol or large rifle? Either one is a terrible idea but the depth of the primers would be different.
Old June 7, 2018, 03:03 PM   #12
JeepHammer

The annealing idea is by a guy that calls himself 'The largest brass seller in America'.
Didn't recognize his name, didn't recognize the name of his retail business.
Since I don't buy brass in Florida, that means less than zero.

The small to large primer idea is from a guy in Virginia that claims to be a 'Major' brass processor, but won't give his business name (which makes me suspicious).

It's the internet, so they are probably trolls, but if it's even close to accurate, Be Afraid!... Be Very Afraid!
Altering brass like this and selling it to an unsuspecting public is unethical at the very least.

I won't even remove primer/crimp if the customer wants PROOF the milbrass is once fired...
Not much you can do to prove civilian brass without a crimp is once fired, so I give a 100% money back, no BS, no need for a reason for return. If their 'Spirit Guide' tells them to return them, that's fine with me!
(It's also why I won't do retail sales! LOTS of crazy out there, and anything firearms related seem to draw crazy like flies to sugar!)

Last edited by JeepHammer; June 7, 2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old June 7, 2018, 04:05 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

I've seen all of those suggested here, as well.

The difference is that we suppress the bad ideas quickly, rather than let them blossom and grow...
Old June 7, 2018, 06:08 PM   #14
308Loader

+1 for natural selection or better known as Darwin awards.
Old June 7, 2018, 06:24 PM   #15
Bimus

I have been asked if there was a better way to keep primers in then super glue .
Old June 7, 2018, 09:40 PM   #16
RickD1225

Some call it “ cleansing the gene pool”.
Old June 7, 2018, 09:55 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have been asked if there was a better way to keep primers in then super glue .
As dumb as it may seem, as dumb as I think it is, and contrary to what you generally see in this forum...

I'd bet I've seen super-gluing primers into pockets as a suggested practice by certain members, at least a dozen times in the last 12 years on TFL. (I lurked before I joined.)
Old June 7, 2018, 11:47 PM   #18
briandg

Unless the statistics that I read were a lie, almost 10% of people on facebook believe that the earth is flat, and far more than that also believe in bigfoot, ghosts, reptilians, and the illuminati.

I WOULD NEVER TRUST ANYTHING THAT I READ ON THE INTERNET WITHOUT VERIFYING IT FROM A NUMBER OF SOURCES, AND VERY CAREFULLY CONSIDERING WHETHER IT EVEN SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE TRUE.

The genesis of the urban legend is people who want to look smart. they want to have a secret. they want to pull a fast one. So, what do they do? they make up stories about hookhand, mary, plutonium in sparkplugs, etc. Fooling people gives them a thrill.

I've read things that have literally left me too stunned to speak. The bottom line is that some people are liars, some people are stupid, and some people want to believe that facts are unimportant, that truth doesn't matter. These people unhealthy to have around.
Old June 8, 2018, 07:23 AM   #19
AVirginian

A BIG old H*** NO!!!!! to both those ideas.
Old June 8, 2018, 07:41 AM   #20
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg View Post
Unless the statistics that I read were a lie, almost 10% of people on facebook believe that the earth is flat, and far more than that also believe in bigfoot, ghosts, reptilians, and the illuminati.

I WOULD NEVER TRUST ANYTHING THAT I READ ON THE INTERNET WITHOUT VERIFYING IT FROM A NUMBER OF SOURCES, AND VERY CAREFULLY CONSIDERING WHETHER IT EVEN SOUNDS LIKE IT COULD BE TRUE.

The genesis of the urban legend is people who want to look smart. they want to have a secret. they want to pull a fast one. So, what do they do? they make up stories about hookhand, mary, plutonium in sparkplugs, etc. Fooling people gives them a thrill.

I've read things that have literally left me too stunned to speak. The bottom line is that some people are liars, some people are stupid, and some people want to believe that facts are unimportant, that truth doesn't matter. These people unhealthy to have around.

Internet social media == bad idea amplifier.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 8, 2018, 07:51 AM   #21
Ricklin

Uhhhh,
Don't believe everything you read........
Old June 8, 2018, 08:01 AM   #22
JeepHammer

Quote:

Internet social media == bad idea amplifier.
I have had what seemed to be perfectly rational people, running businesses and seemingly doing pretty well, just SUDDENLY start talking about 'Flat Earth' 'Hollow Earth' etc, and other conspiracy crap, just out of the blue.

I'm so dumbstruck I can't do anything but sit there with my mouth open...
These seemingly rational, higher functioning people all say exactly the same thing, "I saw it on the internet" implying it MUST be true if it's on the internet.

I guess I'm a member of a 'Secret Society', I don't believe anything I hear & only half what I see before I research the issue.

When asked about some shooting & reloading issues a while back, the younger guy said he was doing it the way the internet video said to do it...
I said READ Lee, RCBS, NRA reloading books and it would answer his questions.
He asked me if there were videos.
I said books are like videos, only for smart people.
He took offense and left... Apparently the very idea of books offends some people.
Old June 8, 2018, 08:04 AM   #23
briandg

I just remembered the absolute worst internet BS that I ever heard, and in fact, I heard it face to face.

The sun had started setting in random places in the sky, based on a dead snag in a tree. some days it was on the right of the branch, some days on the left, some days right on thee point.

I keep expecting someone to complain about the chemtrails that I sometimes leave behind.
Old June 8, 2018, 08:10 AM   #24
briandg

Do you think that the hobby of shooting draws more than it's fair share of kooks? I used to think that cars drew a lot of nuts, but now, I don't think that enough people even understand them. I think that alternative "medicine" and conspiracy are neck and neck.

I don't know what to think about people who shoot, hunt, and fish.
Old June 8, 2018, 08:45 AM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I said books are like videos, only for smart people.
Fair warning, I am stealing that, and am SOOO going to use it.