The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2021, 08:55 PM   #26
Nick_C_S

Quote:
. . . special considerations?
*sigh* Late to the party again

Unclenick has given you the obligatory plunk illustration; which is likely among the most useful things you'll ever seen on the interweb. So we got that outta the way.

I've been loading 45 ACP since October 1984. Tens of thousands of rounds, to be certain. With a minor shoulder shrug or two along the way, I pretty much agree with everything stated.

I want to emphasize the W231/HP-38 thing: It'll do about 95% of everything you'll need to do with 45 ACP - save max velocity; especially with heavies (230's). Otherwise, it'll do it all.

Bullseye is right there too. But it is just a tick faster than W231 and a lot more energetic. So that translates to less forgiveness on the top end.

As for TiteGroup: I've used a fair amount of it in 45 ACP. And it works great. But it runs hot, so it is best reserved for jacketed or plated slugs. But in that role, it delivers great, consistent performance. Even more than Bullseye, it's super energetic, so pushing max pressure can be a nervy task. I had great luck with it pushing 200gn plated FP's.

All that said, I think the main thing I can add here is that propellants used in 45 ACP behave slower than you'd expect. It's like burn rate chart "shifts" down a notch or two. I don't know, but I have speculated that it has something to do with 45 ACP's aspect ratio (it's short n fat ), along with it's low pressure. Whatever the case may be, everything is slower. So what is considered to be a fast power can deliver some surprising velocities.
Old January 26, 2021, 10:39 PM   #27
Schlitz 45

I’ve been using a lot of CFE Pistol lately in 380, 9mm, & 45 ACP. I can load less than max & get a 230gr plated 45 bullet over 900fps out of a 5” barrel if I want to but choose to load medium range at around 850 fps as it seems to group tighter for me, plus the CFE seems to have less residue & the pistols clean up a bit easier too.
Old January 26, 2021, 10:44 PM   #28
rc

Low pressure round that likes Bullseye up to 231ish speed powders. Clays also works well. 230 grain is best all around for nice consistent reloads. If you step up to 185s, you may want to go to a bit slower powder.
Old January 27, 2021, 10:23 AM   #29
Constrictor

I've loaded and shot over 100,000 230g round nose .45 over 5.8G unique. Nice accurate clean burning and great metering.
Old January 29, 2021, 05:12 PM   #30
darkgael

4.2 - 4.8 Bullseye works fine with 185s
Old January 29, 2021, 07:33 PM   #31
308Loader

Lots of great info here. Thank you all. Dies will be here tomorrow. Sorting head stamps right now. No luck with any of the powders mentioned, out of stock every where I’ve looked. Same with bullets. Had an order placed with Cabela’s for some plated bullets, was notified today that it was canceled. Out of stock. Large pistol primers are also nonexistent. Seems that shopping the web is no go. Have had some luck with local stores for some components, just not these. Guess ill be waiting until next year to load anything. Did get some S&b rounds from the gun club, so at least I’ve been able to shoot a few through it. Was starting to get concerned I bought a expensive paper weight.

Thanks again for all the reply’s. will let you know how it went after the drought lifts.