The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 9, 2019, 08:28 AM   #1
musicmatty

Review of my new Henry side gate 30-30

As a Winchester man, this is my first experience with a Henry rifle. If ‘Made in America is important to you as it is for me, then you have something to really celebrate with the quality of these rifles.

The fit and finish and smooth operating action of this rifle is second to none. I’ve always read complaints about these lever action rifle‘s from other manufacturers where the wood furniture does not meet up with the receiver front and back with a very tight tolerance. Simply not the case with this rifle. Henry must use very state of the art machining equipment to get the job done with no expense spared apparently.

Although the receiver strongly resembles that of a Marlin/Remlin, this Rifle definitely feels like a Winchester in your hands and especially the way it’s balanced. Not much of a discernible weight difference between my 1969 commemorative Winchester and this Henry rifle. The Winchester weighs in at 6.8 pounds and this Henry weighs in at 7.6 pounds.

I would have to say now that this rifle offers dual loading and safe unloading capabilities, Henry has cornered the market with lever action rifle’s. My personal preference for loading this rifle would be the side gate and for safe fast unloading, it would be removing the magazine tube.

I purchased this rifle for $850 out the door and it’s made in America with top notch craftsmanship… Who could ask for more.

The only other American manufacturers producing lever action rifle‘s is Remington-Remlin and Mossberg. It’s too bad they don’t step up their game and take pride in American craftsmanship pushing these rifles out the door.

Great job Henry rifles… I’m very impressed!

Old December 9, 2019, 07:56 PM   #2
krunchnik

Nice looking rifle's-I am also a Henry fan.
Old December 10, 2019, 09:50 AM   #3
TrueBlue711

Thanks for the review! I was very excited Henry finally made a side gate model. I always wanted a Henry, but the no side gate was a deal breaker for me. Next lever gun for me will definitely be one of these models.
Old December 10, 2019, 09:06 PM   #4
Targa

That is a really nice looking rifle, congrats!
Old December 10, 2019, 09:15 PM   #5
Nanuk

Beautiful rifle.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 13, 2019, 05:56 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

Love my Henry's, I never needed a side loader and still don't. But, if they do the BBS in .357 with a side loading gate I may just get one for s&g's.
Old December 13, 2019, 09:35 AM   #7
stagpanther

My first Henry had a couple of hick-ups--but Lou was 100% no hassle fix it or refund--whatever I wanted. I remembered that--and my next purchase was a Henry big boy 45-70 "classic" long octagonal barrel lever--the pride of my lever fleet, it has special appeal for masochist shooters having a brass buttplate. The power and accuracy of it is something special.

Great purchase Matty--are you actually going to use it or are counting on it as an investment? I'd be nervous about dinging it up (which no matter how careful I was I know I would do on the very first outing).
Old December 13, 2019, 11:16 PM   #8
musicmatty

Quote:
Great purchase Matty--are you actually going to use it or are counting on it as an investment? I'd be nervous about dinging it up (which no matter how careful I was I know I would do on the very first outing).

Thanks for your comments! No, I’m not a collector of show pieces. However, I do take good care of my gear. I took my new Henry out for the last two days of deer hunting in the field. Unfortunately, no opportunities came up these last two days.

The Henry did get wet with some sleet and freezing rain one of the days that I was out. I give my rifles a good rub down with oil before heading out in the field and likewise when I return.

The one thing that I did notice that was a pleasant surprise when I was up in the tree stand, the Henry has an extra large trigger guard. It made sliding my finger in with a glove on nice and easy. Now that’s what I call smart engineering!

Old December 15, 2019, 07:18 AM   #9
jetinteriorguy

Oh man, now that's the way to hunt deer. Nice tree stand and setup. I grew up deer hunting in North Dakota and it's a lot of work deer hunting there. Not too many places to hunt from stands, we walked the shelter belts with one person in the trees and one on both sides of the trees and one or two on the ends of the tree rows. So basically we would drive the deer either out the sides or the ends and get a running shot. Or we would cruise the roads hoping to spot one on the move and then get ahead of it on the road and hopefully get a shot. The first buck I ever got was a running shot through a corn field at 75 yds. All I could see was the top of his rack above the corn and shot him through the heart with my '06. Nothing like pure luck.
Old December 15, 2019, 08:15 PM   #10
musicmatty

Quote:
Oh man, now that's the way to hunt deer. Nice tree stand and setup. I grew up deer hunting in North Dakota and it's a lot of work deer hunting there. Not too many places to hunt from stands, we walked the shelter belts with one person in the trees and one on both sides of the trees and one or two on the ends of the tree rows. So basically we would drive the deer either out the sides or the ends and get a running shot. Or we would cruise the roads hoping to spot one on the move and then get ahead of it on the road and hopefully get a shot. The first buck I ever got was a running shot through a corn field at 75 yds. All I could see was the top of his rack above the corn and shot him through the heart with my '06. Nothing like pure luck.
Thanks for sharing that amazing story! To be honest, I just don’t get enough shooting time with my rifles as I would like that would allow me to take shots at the deer hauling ass through a field.

I was out at the range this morning with my Henry taking shots at 50 yards sitting at the bench but not benchresting the gun itself. I consider these results satisfactory for a deer sitting still within a 50 yard range. However, I would not think these shots are satisfactory for a deer that is trotting through a field.

I strongly prefer neck or head shots and I know my limitations with my eyesight to be 50 yards max with open sights.