The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: How much will you pay for small or large pistol primers?
$100 7 77.78%
$200 0 0%
$250 2 22.22%
Greater than? 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 21, 2021, 01:28 PM   #26
FITASC

I paid $200 all in delivered for 5,000 Winchester 209 shotgun primers (which typically cost more than SPP or LPP), so that is $40/1000
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 21, 2021, 01:39 PM   #27
cdoc42

Where is the "demand" originating? New gun owners may fire their first 50 rounds to acclimate themselves to a gun they really never intended to use, anyway. Then they'll buy another box of 50 and it sits until "needed." So I can't understand why the "demand" for manufactured ammo is so continual. Certainly, even the majority of gun owners who do not reload are not likely to shoot the volume that handloaders do.

I'd be more inclined to suspect Uncle Sam is purchasing ammo in greater quantities and stock-piling it so that demand stays high and prices go up enough to discourage any gun owner from buying "too much" ammo. It also impacts the handloaders because supplies are non-existent. When it begins to turn around a bit, prices may remain high, or at least have a ceiling commensurate with the amount most are willing to pay, but over time, that drag will see some handloaders reducing the intensity of their hobby. What better way is there for gun control to occur without political action being obvious?
Old January 21, 2021, 01:50 PM   #28
Metal god

Your pole really needed a none of the above , that said . I'd spend $100 if I had to and if I were actually out and there was civil unrest . I don't think there'd be I price I wouldn't pay , it's all relative I guess . Thank god for now I need not worry about any of that .

I have to say I feel many of you guys are straight up lying to your self . If you had no primers you would just stop shooting and never have ammo again ? I know these poles can be silly but at least try to be honest about it . I don't need primers and will not for many years likely so it would be easy for me to say the most I'd pay is $25 but I know that would be dishonest . I'd pay what ever it took "IF" I had to . Maybe the OP could have asked the question different to get more realistic answers

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; January 21, 2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old January 21, 2021, 02:07 PM   #29
hounddawg

For those willing to pay in excess of $250 per sleeve let me know, I may be within driving distance and do I have a deal for you- joking of course lol
Old January 21, 2021, 03:05 PM   #30
Metal god

Lol

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 22, 2021, 07:29 AM   #31
jetinteriorguy

My guess is once things settle down supply wise prices will never drop below $400./1000 but will most likely settle at $50.00/1000. Like most things I’ll have to live with that. This always seems to be the trend with prices, they never go back down to pre panic prices.
Old January 22, 2021, 08:53 AM   #32
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark12
How much will you pay for small or large pistol primers per 1000?
How much are you planning on charging for them?
Old January 22, 2021, 09:50 AM   #33
Reloadron

Poll: How much will you pay for small or large pistol primers?

$30 and I really don't need any and have not needed any for the last few shortages. I did shoot 150 of them yesterday though.

Ron
Old January 22, 2021, 10:32 AM   #34
Altonv

When this all started I paid $40 for small pistol mag primers, $50 for large pistol mag primers from a small store, but others have now found my honey hole. I recently paid $115 for 1,000 small pistol primers for loading my 9mm. I have plenty of 9mm ammo, but my hand loads are so much more accurate than the American Eagle and Sig ammo I have laying around.
Old January 22, 2021, 11:11 AM   #35
Average Joe

None of the above poll, so I didn't vote.
Old January 23, 2021, 07:34 AM   #36
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
My guess is once things settle down supply wise prices will never drop below $400./1000 but will most likely settle at $50.00/1000. Like most things I’ll have to live with that. This always seems to be the trend with prices, they never go back down to pre panic prices.
.22 never went back to pre-panic prices, but it got close. Besides, having to pay another $10-15 for primers vs not having primers or having to pay $100 for them is not the worst thing.
Old January 23, 2021, 07:39 AM   #37
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrd View Post
A local shop in upstate NY - has primers for $ 150.00 per thousand. I passed at those prices. Owner's remarks were - "Believe me, I WISH I didn't have to charge that much." Have mnfr's prices gone up that much - or is he blowing smoke?
The cost to manufacture is no different now than it was a year ago, but nobody is getting bulk prices on anything right now, it's all small order stuff and the shipping costs the same for a brick of primers or 100 of them.

It's either on him or his distributor, but why they're paying double and forcing us to pay triple doesn't make sense just because demand is high and supply is low.
Old January 23, 2021, 08:13 AM   #38
jetinteriorguy

Retailers raise prices to compensate for low sales volume in order to keep paying the bills. Their expenses are relatively fixed so a higher profit is needed when volume is low in order to maintain cash flow needed to pay these expenses. Volume isn’t low due to demand, it’s low based on availability so they are kind of at the mercy of the supply/demand cycle. Now that being said, I do believe there is also a little gouging involved as well.
Old January 23, 2021, 09:03 AM   #39
berettaprofessor

What I'll pay depends entirely on what the cost of factory complete cartridges are for that caliber.
Old January 23, 2021, 10:54 AM   #40
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
It's either on him or his distributor, but why they're paying double and forcing us to pay triple doesn't make sense just because demand is high and supply is low.
That's a different version of supply and demand than the one I was taught.
Old January 23, 2021, 11:55 AM   #41
Marco Califo

Make do with whatever means available

It is supply and demand, and the primers are all going into loaded ammo, where there is huge demand for Americans to arm themselves against rioters, looters, and violence. I buy primers when available cheaply and stock-up. $27-45 per thousand, and that high-end was when I bought a 45. I have not needed to buy any since they were last available. I have 2 to 35+ year old primers (and some obsolete powders) that all go bang. If you do not have the prequisite personal inventory, maybe you should "fix bayonets", or, take up muzzle loading, archery, soft-ball+ sized stones, walking stick/baseball bat, fly fishing, (or just stop whining).
I recently watched a video clip of a guy confronted by an agitated mountain lion. Stones (and his cell phone to record it) saved the day. Offense was the best defense, but it took the guy 5 minutes of back-pedalling to figure that out. I was rooting for the big cat.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pg2CDCm34w

Last edited by Marco Califo; January 23, 2021 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Linked
Old January 23, 2021, 12:30 PM   #42
jetinteriorguy

I’ll stick with my Viking axe and sword, I’m celebrating my heritage.