The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 23, 2017, 09:28 AM   #1
B-Deck

Carry Belts

Simple question.. Any suggestions for a high quality carry belt? I have no experience with any
Old March 23, 2017, 09:46 AM   #2

I've had a Mitch Rosen for twenty years. It was expensive, but I've never had a belt last so long, and be so secure. Took a while to break in.
Old March 23, 2017, 09:47 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

The Beltman. They are expensive, but they will last much longer than cheaper leather belts.

Wilderness Tactical also makes a hell of a belt too if you don't want leather.
Old March 23, 2017, 09:49 AM   #4
lamarw

I have one from Simply Rugged and one from Hanks. They are both good belts. Amazon.com does handle Hanks belts and can deliver within a couple of mailing days from order. I changed out the buckle on the Hanks belt because I did not like the police look of the roller buckle.

There are tons of choices out there if you go a google check of gun belts or concealed carry belts. Most places provide instructions on how to measure to get the correct length for proper fit of their belts.
Old March 23, 2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Bob Wright

My own experience has been Tony Lama belts I buy from the local western stores. They are double thickness, look sharp, and carry well. Plus I can add any of my buckles from my assortment.

Bob Wright
Old March 23, 2017, 04:18 PM   #6
RKG

You can buy specialty belts, as others have advised. All are expensive; by reports, some are worth the expense and others not so much.

What I do is buy 1-1/4" "house" belts at a uniform supply store (e.g., Simons Uniforms, 329 Lynnway, Lynn). These are worn by police officers under their duty gear belt or by firefighters to support their "house" uniform trousers. The belts are thick single layer leather, hold up well, and cost about $25. The only "maintenance" I've ever had to do is blacken the section where the color is rubbed off by the holster, with black shoe polish.
Old March 23, 2017, 06:23 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Another vote for Beltman. Yep, they're a little pricier than some others, but they're top-notch. Here is my review of my first (but certainly not my last) Beltman belt.
Old March 23, 2017, 06:26 PM   #8
t45

It's funny you ask. My Hanks gun belt just showed up today. Very good quality. Mine is the Enforcer 1 3/4" and is exactly what I was looking for.
Old March 23, 2017, 06:32 PM   #9
jerryd

belts

Bigfoot gunbelts
Old March 23, 2017, 06:45 PM   #10
Rangerrich99

Something you might want to take into consideration is what are you going to use the belt for? Mostly training courses? Field use? Everyday carry?

I didn't think about these things much when i bought my first dedicated carry belt, which was a ballistic nylon belt (EliteSurvivalSystems). It's a very good belt, double layered with a carbon fiber insert to increase stiffness. I don't remember anymore exactly what I paid for it, but I think about $50. But if I wear it all day with a full size gun hanging from it, the edge of the belt eventually finds a way to make contact with my skin around my midsection. After an hour or two of that it starts to rub me a little raw. Needless to say, this gets uncomfortable after a while and I start thinking about when I can take the thing off.

So my everyday carry belts are now all leather, which while they may not be quite as durable as BN, certainly are much more comfortable, day-in and day-out.

Just something to consider.
Old March 23, 2017, 07:25 PM   #11
Rob228

My EDC is from Bullhide Belts.
Old March 23, 2017, 07:33 PM   #12
Model12Win

I love my Beltman belt.
Old March 23, 2017, 07:43 PM   #13
tynman

I just got 2 in that Im going to try out both are for everyday IWB carry.
1 is Galls Leather Holster Belt with shipping it cost 23.62
From http://www.galls.com/?utm_source=gqo...RED-=gqordconf
It is enforced so it is very stiff but I think Ill like it once it breaks in.

2 is DeSantis E25 Belt 1.5" Steel Buckle Leather Black with shipping cost me 22.98
from http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145...-_-ProductLink
This one is thicker and not as stiff. This one I am waering now and breaking it in.
The only thing I can tell you about these 2 belts is they tell you to go up 1 pants size. I should of went 2 pant sizes up. I wear 38 waste so I ordered both of them in 40. Well on the desantis without my holster Im on the middle hole (the belt comes with 5 holes)

The galls belt just to hold my pants up I was on the 4th hole so unless once I wear it in it will be better I will be adding another hole to it.
Old March 23, 2017, 08:04 PM   #14
Kemikos

A little background: I'm a big dude, and I work in construction. My belts get a workout. And that's not even counting holster work.

I've never had a belt last more than a year. Usually it's more like 6 months.

About 2 years ago I gave in and ordered a Gunner from Hank's. It still looks like new. I wear it every day. I hang tools and things from it all the time. It's kind of formed to my shape over time, but there's no stretching, cracking, peeling, or what have you.

Some other brands make good ones too, but Hank's are the ones I have experience with.

Some things to look for: You want full-grain (best) or top-grain leather. If you're looking at a belt and it's tagged "genuine leather" or worse, "bonded leather", run away. Those are the cheapest possible grades of leather; they're generally machine-formed and painted rather than cut from a sheet of leather like the better stuff. Neither one will support the weight of a holstered firearm for very long before breaking, and they have no stiffness to speak of, so your holster won't be very secure.
Old March 24, 2017, 05:48 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

I'll add this: don't skimp on the belt. If you're going to carry with a belt holster, your belt is the foundation of your whole carry system. If your belt sags, you're likely to start hitching up your gun to make it comfortable. That's a tell. If I see someone constantly hitching up his pants, it tells me that he's either likely carrying a pistol, or they took his belt when processing him in at the local jail.

If you're on a budget that won't allow a $100 belt (and I've been there & done that), I've also used an Aker B21 (~7 years) and a DeSantis Econobelt (~5 years) in the past. They're not in the same league as my Beltman belt, but they are serviceable belts.
Old March 24, 2017, 06:26 AM   #16
rodfac

El Paso Saddlery makes some beautiful gun belts...pricey but A#1, first quality.

I've made up a dozen or so for family and friends over the years so the dimensions I use are what we wear. For jeans, 1-1/2" is about all you can get through the belt loops. Other trousers, you'd better measure. The wider the better if you carry.

I make mine up from single thickness, bull hide leather I buy from a local saddle maker. It's skirting leather and almost 1/4" in thickness...that eliminates sag, even with a full size, all steel duty gun.

By far the most comfortable gun belt I've ever worn is one I made up to copy the rough-out, money/gun belt John Wayne wore in many of his westerns. Mine's 2-1/4" wide and without the loops that The Duke wore. I also made up a cpl slide on cartridge carriers in several calibers to use with it.

Over time it molds to your body like a well worn pair of Levis, yet supports the gun nicely. For the really big revolvers, Colt or Ruger, nothing works as well. The width precludes using it as a trouser belt, but for gun work, it's tops. Here's a cpl pics. (El Paso Saddlery makes up some that are similar)

HTH's, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; March 24, 2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old March 24, 2017, 06:49 AM   #17
rebs

Does anyone have either either an Alessi Holsters or Richie's Leather gun belts ?
Being a bigger guy 260 lbs with some love handles I need a belt and holster to fit me.
Any bigger guys out there that have suggestions ?
Old March 24, 2017, 11:42 AM   #18
serf 'rett

I've had good service from 5.11 Tactical Trainer belts paired with Crossbreed Super Tuck(s).
Old March 24, 2017, 02:02 PM   #19
Kemikos

Quote:
Any bigger guys out there that have suggestions ?
See my post above (#14); I've got a buck and a quarter on you, so I guess I count.

To add something I forgot to the leather info: it's not so important for the belt, but if you're getting a leather holster, make sure the manufacturer is using vegetable-tanned leather. Most leather is chromium-tanned, but the chemicals in the chromium process can leave a corrosive residue in the leather, which can cause pitting or finish corrosion over time. Plus vegetable-tanned leather is stiffer, which means your holster will hold its shape better.
Old March 25, 2017, 12:09 PM   #20
jmhyer

Personally, I think it depends on whether you carry IWB or OWB. (I don't think the OP specified.)

For IWB, I prefer the infinitely adjustable nylon belts. I use one from 5.11 and it's as good as the day I bought it about 2 years ago for around $40.

For OWB carry, I agree that stiffer is better, in which case a good, sturdy, reinforced leather is preferable.
Old March 25, 2017, 05:19 PM   #21
GeneS

http://www.rgleather.net

This is hard to beat. And Rick is a super guy to deal with.
Old April 4, 2017, 06:43 PM   #22
unit 900

A point to consider (I did not) is that an Otterbox (or similar) smartphone holster will not lock onto a belt made for carry. The belt thickness is too great for the 'j' hook on the bottom to lock on the belt. My new Otterbox case/holster jumped off my belt 4 times as of today.
Old April 5, 2017, 08:16 AM   #23
Model12Win

BIGFOOT belts are not very strong IMHO.

Ditch the BIGFOOT and get a Beltman. Nothing better.
Old April 7, 2017, 08:30 AM   #24
rpseraph

I use a couple infinitely adjustable 5.11 belts when the situation allows. The two colors Tactical Double Duty is confortable and stiff enough to hold everything up.

Otherwise if I use Aker B21s. They are economical, they are supportive, and they look good!
Old April 7, 2017, 08:46 AM   #25
glockman55

Alessi makes a nice leather belt, I have two, haven't found one yet that even comes close..