The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 2, 2018, 11:44 AM   #1
shurshot

TC Black Diamond question...

I just acquired an older TC BD .50, that was given to me as non functional. It was pretty corroded, I have scrubbed it out thoroughly with BP bore cleaner and a brush and it now cocks, fires, is clean, and I can blow air from the muzzle through the plug, etc. I'm wondering if any owners of similar TC's can post pictures of your plug and striker system, as I'm not familiar with inline systems (previously only owning flintlocks and percussion weapons over the past 35 years). And, I have difficulty posting photos of mine, it says the pics are too large.
I'm unsure if the plug is a 209 primer or musket cap ignition system. I know it's too big to be a number # 11 cap and there is no nipple. The previous owner couldn't recall, but thinks it takes shotgun primers, wasn't sure, it was his Dad's, who stopped using it years ago. I have read a different striker system is needed for 209 primers, but can't find pictures of what the striker and plug look like. My breach face is flat with a very small, almost small nail / needle point sized striker. Plug has a spring with four grooves cut into the sides? Can anyone offer some guidance? I'm thinking if still accurate, it may make a nice late season deer rifle. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by shurshot; December 2, 2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old December 2, 2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Hawg

I'm not savy on inlines at all but if there's no nipple and there's a hole you can put a 209 primer in then it takes 209 primers. A musket cap still has to have a nipple.
Old December 2, 2018, 12:50 PM   #3
shurshot

Thank you. You know more than I do... LOL! I never used a musket cap or a shotgun primer, only #11 caps or flints.
Kind of a neat system, firing from an open bolt. Being a traditional BP shooter, I never paid any attention to inlines before, but getting a free TC project gun, now the system has my full attention.

Last edited by shurshot; December 2, 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old December 2, 2018, 01:12 PM   #4
arcticap

Here's what appears to be a standard striker [bolt] for the Black Diamond that's for sale on eBay and Numrich in used condition.
The last photo was said to be a standard breech plug with a #11 nipple that appeared in this thread:--->>> http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/fo...ic.php?t=25005

I don't know if the design was ever changed or not during its years of production.
But according to the "text only" of one online owner's manual, it indicated that Black diamond came from the factory with a #11 nipple.

You can find more info. and photos by Googling Thompson Center Black diamond and clicking on images, searching eBay, Numrich Arms etc...

There was a conversion kit to allow the Black Diamond to use 209 primers.
However I don't know if different model Black Diamonds eventually came from the factory ready to fire 209's or not.
There were different models of Black Diamonds.

Here's the conversion kit that allows the Black Diamond to shoot 209's:--->>> http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=03403

This is what the 209 primer adapter looked like for the Black Diamond:--->>> https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...nd-woods-rifle

Here's some additional photos of a Black Diamond action with a nipple, possibly a musket nipple?
There are musket nipples that have the same threads as #11 nipples, I really don't know what you have:--->>> http://thompsoncenterbarrel.com/2017...ainless-steel/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1045000.jpg (24.5 KB, 1533 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (31.9 KB, 1528 views)
File Type: jpg 17-DSCN0684_zps1162a606.jpg (201.8 KB, 1541 views)

Last edited by arcticap; December 2, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old December 2, 2018, 02:10 PM   #5
shurshot

Thank you Articap! Yes, same striker on mine, but mine is slightly more corroded... but it appears to be the 209 adapter... definitely not a nipple. I'll have to get some 209 primers and try it out, if the original striker works. I read on the TC website a different striker is needed? Being a slam fire type system, I don't see why this one wouldn't set off a shotgun primer. Thank you for the photos!!
Old December 2, 2018, 08:39 PM   #6
Pahoo

Ghosts from the past!!!

I am familiar with the BlackDiamond as it was the last MML rifle I owned. So, lets address some of the issues mentioned.
Quote:
I'm unsure if the plug is a 209 primer or musket cap ignition system
The existing plug will accept a the 209 adaptor nipple as well as the musket and #11. That is one feature that I liked about the BD. the FM threads on the plug are the standard TC 1/4-28 thread. The 209 adaptor will thread right into the plug. The last nipple I used was the TC Musket. That is really all the priming you need. Then the BD came supplied with all three nipples. Except they called the 209, an adaptor

Quote:
I read on the TC website a different striker is needed?
Not true and wish you could send me that link. You might be refereeing to some of the old Knights.

Now then, you have not mentioned it yet but that plug is going to give you a problem if the overall condition is as you say it is. As far as configuration, you have a back cap with "o"-ring, spring, follower, cocking handle and striker. Pretty simple. When I got rid of my BD, I had spare nipples adaptors and even a new plug. I don't "think" I have anything left except good memories. I you go on eBay you should find all of these spare parts. If you can bring this one back you will enjoy it and it has a fie trigger. ….

UPDATE;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thompson-Ce...AK6g:rk:5:pf:0
The only part I see missing from my previous explanation, is the follower; ..

Good luck, let us know how you mad out and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 2, 2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old December 2, 2018, 09:12 PM   #7
shurshot

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to pick up a TC plug wrench, new plug and some 209's. I still have plenty of powder and ball. 3rd day scrubbing the bore... its cleaning up, slow but surely. Wire brush,
wrapped with 0000 steel wool, soaked in bore cleaner works wonders.
The link to the site where it mentions the correct striker must be used is...
https://accessories.tcarms.com/produ...ods-rifle™-2/
Unless I misread it, it sounds like there are 2 different strikers??

Last edited by shurshot; December 2, 2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old December 3, 2018, 01:07 PM   #8
arcticap

I agree that it's confusing.

The link that I posted for the barreled action for sale seems to show a striker with a different face than the used strikers that are for sale on eBay and Numrich.

And why would TC sell a 209 conversion kit that includes a 2nd striker?

One concern was whether or not the Black Diamond underwent a design change at some point as more rifles began being made to accept 209's.

The Black Diamond may have been made for years.

Not sure about any of these details from photos, nor does it really matter as long as shurshot can identify his striker and breech plug.

Thanks Pahoo.

Last edited by arcticap; December 4, 2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old December 3, 2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Pahoo

What nipple do yo have in place?

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to pick up a TC plug wrench, new plug and some 209's.
You can do that and I have seen them for sale, on eBay. Another thought is that you may already have the tools to do the job. I used a 7/16"/hex drive socket with extension. One end has a 7/16 socket with an attached standard 1/4" hex drive. If you haven't already done so. I'd start soaking that plug from the breech end. Let it soak for about three days. You may be lucky and not have a stuck plug. …..

Unless I'm missing something, you have not stated what kind of nipple/adaptor you have I place. If you can see threads in that plug hole, that is not the for the 209 primer. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old December 3, 2018, 04:26 PM   #10
shurshot

Judging from the TC website, and above posted photos, it has a 209 adapter on it. The gun is saturated in BP bore cleaner, being scrubbed daily and resaturated. I'll do this for a week. This daily treatment worked years ago with a very dark and rust filled K98 8mm Mauser bore, except I used Hoppes #9.
I'll dig through my socket set and see what I have... thanks for the tip.
Old December 3, 2018, 05:56 PM   #11
thallub

Quote:
I'm going to pick up a TC plug wrench, new plug and some 209's.
1. Use a socket to remove the breech plug.

2. Take care of the present breech plug. Breech plugs for the Black Diamond are no longer available.

3. You don't need 209 primers with the Black Diamond. Simply buy a #11 cap nipple. #11 caps work very well.

The Black Diamond is an excellent rifle. i currently own two.
Old December 3, 2018, 07:09 PM   #12
shurshot

I just noticed a plug on the bay for $150.00... Lol! Yes, I'll take care of this one. Thanks.
Old December 4, 2018, 11:44 AM   #13
arcticap

If you run into trouble, I think that I know where to find a Black Diamond breech plug.
Old December 4, 2018, 06:48 PM   #14
shurshot

Thank you. I'll let you know how things progress.