The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 16, 2009, 05:08 PM   #1
olmontanaboy

Ruger Old Army

Went to a gun show today and a guy had a blued Ruger Old Army on the table, it was used but just barely, I'd call it 99%. It must have been an older one, no warning on the barrel. He had $425 on it but said he'd bargain. What is it worth?
Old May 16, 2009, 06:53 PM   #2
olyinaz

Well, just me talkin' here but if it's 99+% (very hard to find any signs of use) and you can get it walkin' for less than $400 then I think it's a good deal.

Do make sure you check the timing and look very carefully for pitting due to corrosion in the barrel and chambers.

Cheers,
Oly
Old May 16, 2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

My minimal experience

Similar situation.

1. Went to the gun show. Very similar pistol but its condition was not good. Fit and finish was fine but the pistol would not remain cocked. The vendor new that and was not budging off of his 400.00 price tag. Blued with adjustable sights.

2. Local gun shop has an unfired and unturned ROA, blued adjustable sights. Still has the original 398.00 price tag on the box. I am saving my pennies.

Tnx,
Old May 16, 2009, 08:16 PM   #4
CaptainCrossman

$300 tops for blued, $400 tops for stainless- preferably in the box w/manual.
Old May 16, 2009, 08:22 PM   #5
ClemBert

Quote:
Ruger Old Army
Went to a gun show today and a guy had a blued Ruger Old Army on the table, it was used but just barely, I'd call it 99%. It must have been an older one, no warning on the barrel. He had $425 on it but said he'd bargain. What is it worth?
He's probably not far from fair value. If it has the original box and papers I'd say it's worth $400 plus or minus.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:13 AM   #6
CaptainCrossman

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM #1
olmontanaboy

Ruger Old Army

most gun show vendors will drop $25 immediately. My standard line is this:

"if you give me a good deal on that gun, and I'll buy it"

then the pressure is on the seller, whether he wants to sit and hope for another buyer, or actually make a sale- most in today's economy, want to make a sale

that phrase is historically good for a $25-$75 discount right off the top on a BP replica, and on some real antiques it's dropped them $200-$400 off the starting price- with minimal effort, and no arguing or insults.

it's really up to them, if they want to take the gun home again, or sell it- we are talking used old guns here, not gold bullion- if you walk away and don't buy, you can always find another ROA for sale on the net, or at the next gun show