The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old February 21, 2007, 09:15 PM   #1
billydiesel

ccw in FL

Does anyone from FL know if the hunters safety course counts for a ccw.
Old February 22, 2007, 09:40 PM   #2
P5 Guy

A firearms safety course was all I had to get a CCW. I would think that any type of safety course would count.
Old February 23, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3
allenomics

NRA safety course attendance or honorable military experience is helpful but applicants must comply with other requirements; fingerprints, background check, pay the state $117, etc. The actual class lasts just two hours!
Old February 24, 2007, 08:24 AM   #4
blume357

two hours! no wonder S.C. doesn't recognize FL permit

Our's last 8... one more long day.
Old February 24, 2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Haterade

No state recognizes S.C. Not even Utah. Not Florida. Not New Hampshire. Not Georgia. Does S.C have recirprocity with ANYONE outside of S.C?
Old February 25, 2007, 09:58 AM   #6
blume357

Yep, there are a few:

North Carolina
Tennesse
Ohio
Michigan
Wyoming
Montana
Arkansas
Louisiana
Texas
Alaska

http://www.packing.org/state/south_c...?stateimage=79

the problem is our State has to recognize other states licenses that meet or exceed our requirements.... if that state will also recognized ours, but it is the South Carolina State Police (SLED) that get to decide what meets these. There is a bill before the state Politics at this moment that will require S.C. to recognized all other permits... I'm not so sure I like this, but it is better than the existing rules.
Old February 25, 2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Haterade

None of those issue non-resident permits though.

That's what kinda sucks if you live close to or plan on carrying in SC. There simply isn't an option unless you are already a resident of one of those states you listed. Florida can't even carry there.

I hope the bill you mentioned goes through.
Old February 25, 2007, 11:07 PM   #8
billydiesel

I already have my ccw permit, 8 years in the infantry, shoot gssf, and won various local tournaments, I got mine pretty easy. But my cousin, shoots constantly with me, he only has his hunters safety course. He does a lot of handgun hunting, I was just wondering, would his his hunting license and his hunters safety course work, or would he have to take an actual ccw course.

the only reason I ask is because he doesn't have the money for the course right now. The only reason he wants it is because he goes around the state hunting and he carries his pistols with him. He does not actually want to carry, he just likes the idea of having a permit just in case he encounters a problem carrying his pistols across the state.

thanks
Old February 26, 2007, 09:53 PM   #9
Haterade

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

Toss a copy of the course completion certificate in with his paperwork and he'll be OK.