The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 2, 2017, 01:36 PM   #1
Highcap74

10 rounds for SCSA

Everything I have read says you're only able to use 10 round for the production class. So does that mean that you can have 1 in the barrel and 10 rounds in a mag or do you load 9 rounds in the 4 mags. and 10 in your first one.
Old January 2, 2017, 04:25 PM   #2
g.willikers

You are much better off getting competition rules from the rule book than from an internet forum.
Less chance for acquiring penalty points that way.
Old January 2, 2017, 04:34 PM   #3
AzShooter

Go to Steel Challenge Shooting Association.com and download the rules.
Old January 3, 2017, 06:00 PM   #4
Lrodrgz

It might depend on how you start, loaded or unloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 4, 2017, 07:17 AM   #5
Don P

Quote:
It might depend on how you start, loaded or unloaded
All steel challenge stages start with the gun loaded and holstered and hands above shoulders. Amount of ammo in magazines is the same as with USPSA divisions
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 4, 2017, 12:42 AM   #6
ddc

Mag loading limitations as for USPSA divisions?

My SCSA experience is very limited but I was not aware of any mag loading limitations. I checked the current rules and it is not obvious to me that there are any. Could you clarify? Thanks!
Old February 4, 2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Don P

Quote:
I checked the current rules and it is not obvious to me that there are any. Could you clarify? Thanks!
If you go to the steel web site if refers you to the USPSA side for rules. Magazines will be loaded per the USPSA with regards to division
Quote:
Appendix A Competition Divisions

General Principles: All shooters compete for overall placement in the match. In addition to overall placement, shooters may also com- pete for Division-specific awards based on equipment type.
Equipment requirements for the USPSA and IPSC, shall be governed by the respective rules and equipment criteria regarding firearm and holster configurations and rule interpretations.
Failure to meet the appropriate USPSA/IPSC, rules and equipment criteria will disqualify the competitor from Division-specific award consideration. The competitor will remain eligible for overall placement awards.
A competitor whose equipment fails to meet Division-spe- cific equipment requirements may be moved into another Division in which their equipment qualifies, at the Match Director’s discretion (see 2.1.1)

Rimfire Pistol: Open to any pistol firing .22 Long Rifle ammunition (see “ammunition” rule 4.1.2). This event has two equipment divi- sions:
Rimfire Open: This is the Rimfire race division. All legal rimfire firearms are allowed. Optics and Compensators are specifically allowed.
Rimfire Iron Sights: Any Iron-sighted rimfire pistols with- out a compensator, barrel ports or optic sights. Fiber-optic sight inserts are specifically allowed.
Center Fire Pistol: Any pistol firing (9mm/.38 Special) or larger ammunition (see “ammunition” rule 4.1.1). This event has multiple equipment divisions as follows.
Open: This is the race division! All legal firearms are al- lowed. Optics, Compensators, and any safe holster/position are specifically allowed.
Limited: Any iron-sighted pistol without a compensator, barrel ports, or optical sight.
Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed.

Production: Any double action or safe action pistol on the USPSA Production gun list. No Race holsters allowed.
IPSC Production: Any double action or safe action
1 4 handgun on the IPSC Production handgun list…race1 5

holsters allowed per IPSC Production guidelines.

Single Stack: Will be governed by the criteria in the USPSA handgun rule book. i.e. 1911 models only, no race holsters allowed.
Revolver: Any iron sighted revolver without a compensator, barrel ports or optical sight. Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed. No barrel length or holster restrictions. No restrictions for maximum rounds.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; February 4, 2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old February 4, 2017, 11:24 PM   #8
Highcap74

I decided to shot my first steel challenge shoot a couple weeks. Needless to say that I ended up not be able to sign up. Did not know I had to pre register, was put on waiting. Everyone showed up. I did hangout and ask a lot of questions. I was told be the match director that you can have a max of 10 rounds in each magazine. The first string you start with 10 rounds. All other strings you will have 10+ 1 unless you run your gun dry. Thank for all the input
Old February 13, 2017, 10:13 PM   #9
PPGMD

If you need more than 10 rounds, the match isn't going well for you.

But I should mention you can load your first magazine to 11 rounds (or barney up if you only have 10 round magazines), and still be legal. When I shot production in steel I never did, but it was legal.