The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2014, 02:06 PM   #1
TailGator

Two new addicts

My wife and I are now rolling our own, thanks in no small part to this fine group.

I got interested in it and started reading manuals and this forum. We talked it over and started saving brass and accumulating a modest store of components as they were available. Our anniversary rolled around and my wife let it drop that she would be content if we bought the press for each other for our anniversary. (I took her out for dinner, too - ain't no rookie at marriage.)

A LCT arrived and we spent a couple of evenings together mounting it, setting up, adjusting it, and then this morning we ran a 30-round test batch of 9 mm, with each of us making about the same number of rounds. We then had to zip on down to the range and try them, naturally enough: 29 good rounds and a squib. Like the setup process, that, too, was a learning experience. We both got quite a kick out of making and shooting our own ammo for the first time.

We will add .380 for my wife's carry pistol soon.

Quite a lady I am sharing my life with. Our thanks to the good folk of TFL for the way ya'll share your experience and knowledge.
Old August 30, 2014, 02:12 PM   #2
catgunguy

Nice story thanks for sharing. It is really nice when your wife and you have the same interests. Have fun and welcome to reloading . It will become an obsession.
Old August 30, 2014, 02:22 PM   #3
RC20

Well done and good to see you guys doing it together. My wife does not but she is an artist and not her area of interest. She does stop by when I am reloading and watches and we talk about it. she is a farm girl and was a fine equipment operator (I got to see her work stuff and she was as good as they get). She appreciates how it works and I like the interest and company.

9 mm is a tough one to start with, congratulations on doing well.

9 mm was one of my first round when I got back into it and like you I had squib(s). I had forgot you charged the cases and then scanned them to be sure they had powder in each one!

I took them home and checked weight and found a couple more.

Hint: get a digital scale, makes those checks easy!

Also a hint, I have a cheap Franfurth, I just keep an eye on the drift. I.e. the scale pan weight 144.6 gr. I zero it, each time I lift a charge off, then check what it reads, it should be back to 144.5 or 144.7.

As soon as I see 144.4 I re-zero and check the last charge.

9mm of course is less tolerant than 30-06 with powder variations so I keep those really tight. A couple of tents in 30-06 is zero isse, in 9mm not so much.
Old August 30, 2014, 04:32 PM   #4
std7mag

Congrats to the both of you!!!

Once you start rolling, you do wanna go shoot like now!!! lol

My g/f doesn't care for guns too much. She has been really tolerant with me though..
Since we have been together, she has started going to the shooting range with me. She has all but taken over the 7mm-08, and likes the Hi-Point pistol in 40S&W.
She really gets a kick out of shooting the steel silhouettes!
BOOM
PANG
flop...

Old August 31, 2014, 12:21 AM   #5
Jim243

Quote:
Quite a lady I am sharing my life with.
LOL, ya just wait till she tells you to go make your own ammo, or "honey I am doing the dishes can you make me a couple hundred 9's" (LOL).

Just kidding, have fun and stay safe.
Jim
Old August 31, 2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Gster

Nice story. You are indeed a lucky man. My wife will come into my den when I'm reloading. It usually happens right when I start charging cases and unfortunately, it's only to ask me a question about something.
Old September 1, 2014, 04:31 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Quite a lady I am sharing my life with.
I share that sentiment about the one I am with as well. While she doesn't hunt, or handload, she will help field dress, quarter, clean up and wrap for the freezer and then cook up anything I haul to the house. She can outfish most of the men I know and will wade off into the surf or bay with me well prior to sun up in the hopes of putting a bigger stringer in the coller than I can. Oh an I'm not even going to start on what she helps out with around the farm and equipment...

I think we are probably both blessed more than we actually realize.

Keep up the interest and stay between the min and max, and you should have no issues. On that "one" round you had, use it as a learning tool and work towards not letting another one slip through.

Reading through some of the above post, I cannot help but think of you hearing, "hon, can you finish up those dishes, and the dryer should be cutting off soon, could ya catch those as well? I have to clear out the tumbler, separate the cases, then get started on my next batch...."
Old September 1, 2014, 09:10 PM   #8
bigarm

My wife helps with the reloading and seems to like it. We went and visited a person in sw Montana that taught us how to cast bullets this weekend and she is excited about that.
Old September 2, 2014, 12:08 PM   #9
TailGator

RC20 - Thanks for the idea. I am already using a digital scale. We check the powder drop on every 5th round. I think what happened was that we didn't go back and re-charge a round after checking the powder. The bullet just barely started to engage the rifling of the barrel, so my bet is that it was propelled by just a primer. It is easy to do a visual check of the powder level when you are placing the bullet on the charged case, but one of us probably missed it given that we were just starting out and thinking about everything we did. Rookie mistake, not to be repeated.

Quote:
Reading through some of the above post, I cannot help but think of you hearing, "hon, can you finish up those dishes, and the dryer should be cutting off soon, could ya catch those as well? I have to clear out the tumbler, separate the cases, then get started on my next batch...."
I can hear that line about the dishes coming, but I am so inept at laundry that she keeps me away from it. We actually made a deal about three decades ago that I would do the lawn and she would do the laundry; we are both pleased with the results. ;-)
Old September 2, 2014, 12:26 PM   #10
Sevens

Very cool thread rolling here and hearing from a couple of guys who are happily married does make me smile. I'm no cynic & it's great to hear tales like the ones you guys are telling. Not jealous, but envious, and I think it's a great thing.