The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 9, 2017, 08:58 PM   #1
bbousa

Best 9mm for a new female shooter?

She's new to shooting. 25 yo. Athletic. She wants something other than my Ruger SR22. She has been shooting my 226 Blackwater, but that's a little to heavy for her. Recoil is ok. She prefers the thinner grips, but most have way too much recoil for her. Any suggestions? Thought is she will be able to get confident enough to keep it on her nightstand at night.
Old August 9, 2017, 08:59 PM   #2
TXAZ

Go to a gunshop / range and let her try every one they have.
If a P226 is a little too heavy, you could let her try a P229, or P225 single stack 9mm.
But you really need to let her decide by trying as many as she can.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 9, 2017, 09:05 PM   #3
bbousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
Go to a gunshop / range and let her try every one they have.
If a P226 is a little too heavy, you could let her try a P229, or P225 single stack 9mm.
But you really need to let her decide by trying as many as she can.
Nope. She refuses to make the decision. Everything feels the same except for weight and grip thickness. I've never bought a gun for anyone but myself so I'm just looking for people that have experience as a new female shooter or helping a new female shooter.
Old August 9, 2017, 09:13 PM   #4
ammo.crafter

female shooters

Surprisingly, my petite wife loves shooting my Colt 1911 and greatly dislikes a 9mm.

The 9mm recoils with a "snap" as compared to the .45 which is more of a "push".

Have her try a 1911 with target loads.
Old August 9, 2017, 09:36 PM   #5
FITASC

Even if "you make" the decision, getting her to try as many as possible is still sound. If she doesn't like the feel, she won't practice. If she doesn't like the recoil, she won't practice. Yadda-yadda.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 9, 2017, 10:20 PM   #6
Ridgerunner665

Unless she has really small hands.... The Glock 19 is hard to go wrong with.

Not too big, not too small.

Been through this with my wife, she wanted a small pistol, and 45acp... Now she carries a G19.

If her hands are too small for the 19, the 43 will work but it'll be a little snappy with the hotter carry ammo.
Old August 9, 2017, 10:23 PM   #7
TXAZ

If she refuses to make a decision then my crystal ball says it's the Sig P225 A1 9mm single stack.

Old August 10, 2017, 12:04 AM   #8
flyboy015

If she's looking to carry it at all, I'd highly recommend Sig's P938. It's probably considered a compact, but it has a little more weight than most pistols that size, which helps with the felt recoil. I'm not saying it's a walk in the park like you would get out of a 5" barreled 1911, and it only has 6 or 7 round mags in 9mm, but I bought one for my wife and I love the damn thing as much as she does.

Having said that, my next handgun will be a Walther PPQ in 9mm or possibly 40 S&W, if you haven't checked that out yet, you should. Pretty slim for a full size, 15 round mags, excellent trigger and ergonomics, AND there's a $100 manufacturer rebate going on until Sept 15. I keep kicking myself for having spent this year's gun money on an AR-15!
Old August 10, 2017, 12:23 AM   #9
weblance

Have a look at the Ruger 9e. Its a great pistol for not much money
Old August 10, 2017, 02:05 AM   #10
marine6680

A Sig 226 too heavy?

For any grown adult, male or female, unless they are unusually weak... I find that complaints about the weight of the average pistol to be more psychological, than an actuality. Same with manipulation of the firearm, like racking the slide, and even recoil control. (there are exceptions to this of course) Most new shooters tend to not be as aggressive as they need and should be, when using a firearm. Not gripping tight enough, letting muscles relax too much... Things like that.

Meaning... Almost all issues are actually down to technique, rather than physical inability/limitations. With much of that stemming from mental reasons and/or inexperience.

Also... Why will she not be active in the decision?

That may be a clue that she really isn't into the whole shooting thing, or that it is just a passing curiosity... An effort to spend time doing something you like. (not sure the relation she is to you, so you need to judge her enthusiasm for yourself)

But it could be that she is a bit intimidated, and hopes to avoid feeling like a bad choice was her fault.

An idea, would be to make a short list, and let her try them out, and give her thoughts. How the gun feels in her hand is important, and how comfortable she is with the weight.

She does need to understand that lightness means more recoil on average. A small, light and dainty pistol may feel nice while you are holding it at the sales counter... But it will not feel so dainty when you pull the trigger on a live round. So discuss these things before making the choice.

For smaller statured people, with small hands, having a slim comfortable grip goes a long way to making shooting fun.

Key thing, do not go too small. Nothing smaller than a "compact". Think glock 19 sized... There are a few pistols in that range. Its a good size for most smaller shooters as well.

Do not go smaller than that, or lighter, or single stack... As was mentioned... That increases felt recoil and can make shooting less fun.

Bigger and heavier is better, within reason of course.

A S&W M&P is a nice comfortable pistol. Not too heavy either... Using the small or medium back strap, would be the best bet. I find it shoots mildly, and is easy to operate.

I find the HK VP9 using the small backstrap and medium side panels to be very comfortable in my hands. I have smallish hands... well, more stubby fingers... Easy to rack the slide with the rack assist tabs too... So its a good one to put on the short list. (My VP9 is one of my favorite pistols)

The Walther PPQ is also very comfortable. My fiance found it to be a bit slick in the hand under recoil, and was not a fan of it when she was first learning. Now that she has more experience, she doesn't have the same complaint, it is one of her favorite pistols now. (she is trying to claim it as her own)

I find glocks a bit bulky in the hand, the Gen 4 is better than the older versions, but its still not the best feeling pistol to me, but I still manage to shoot it surprisingly well for not really liking it a lot. That has warmed me up to them a bit more. If it feels good in her hands, its not a bad choice.

The new FN 509 or the prior FNS model are nice pistols. My fiance really likes the feel of the 509, saying it felt very nice in the hand. The FNS is a bit aggressive with its grip texture, which turns her off of it, but I personally like the grippy feel of the FNS... But I do agree the 509 feels better.

The new CZ P-10 is very nice in had as well. I can't ay too much about it, as I have only handled it for a small time.

The CZ P-07 is a good option if you want a hammer.

Also... In the end, if she is having issues with the recoil of 9mm... Regular practice with a 22lr is key to helping hone fundamentals, and make practice useful and fun.

Last edited by marine6680; August 10, 2017 at 02:24 AM.
Old August 10, 2017, 02:26 AM   #11
SDF880

Glock 19!
Old August 10, 2017, 03:58 AM   #12
PatientWolf

So many options come to mind...
- H&K VP9
- H&K USPc
- Sig 2022
- Sig P938
- CZ-P07
- CZ-75
- S&W Shield
- Kahr PM9, CM9, CW9
- Any of a number of lightweight 1911 options with Aluminum or scandium frames)
- I am sure Walther offers some good options.

Try to find out what specific features she likes about each weapon she has shot.
- Trigger pull of hammer vs striker?
- Decocker?
- Safety?
- Grip size?
- Sights?
- Frame size?
- Semi-auto vs revolver
- Cartridge: 9mm vs 45acp vs .40 S&W (all have different recoil feels)
It may help you to narrow down the field.

I guess until you find the one she likes, you just keep adding to your collection.
Old August 10, 2017, 05:14 AM   #13
ritepath

CZ P-01 for the win!

For a nightstand gun it's hard to go wrong with a CZ p-01. Excellent size grip, big enough to preform HD duty while being a tack driver at the range and could also be CC'd if desired. Being SA/DA she doesn't have to keep it in a holster it can be right there ready, point and shoot. It really is the closest thing to being the perfect handgun out there for anyone.
Old August 10, 2017, 05:32 AM   #14
JJNA

Females typically have small hands, and this tends to exacerbate the difficulty with the heavier double action, especially on a double stack gun. In my experience, women seem to do well with single stack (or very thin double stack) SAO or striker-fired guns of moderate weight (too light means too much recoil; too heavy means too much fatigue).

Some good ones in my experience are:

CZ-75 (in SA only)
Browning Hi Power
1911 (in 9mm)
Kahr K9 Elite
H&K P30S (small panels)
H&K VP9 (small panels)
Sig P320 (compact-small module)

Glock 43, Kimber Micro 9, and Sig P938 seem to work well, too, provided they are not recoil-shy, as these are lighter and flippier. But the small grip size seems to find favor.
Old August 10, 2017, 06:01 AM   #15
Brit

Light weight, light recoil, 7 round capacity? Glock 42 in .380. Great carry gun.

The best carry, and bedside table pistol. Gen 4 Glock 19. TruGlo fibre optic sights. Not too heavy, no silly +P+ rounds. Standard velocity carries Win Ranger T 147g. Nice flowing blouses, like my Florida shirts.

Never leave it in the car, I was in a Security meeting yesterday, 4 car break ins!
But 3 were not locked? Three pistols were stolen, hullo!

All 4 owners had Garages? To much trouble to use? Two were ladies, don't know how to reverse in? I was just there because I drive one of my Sons marked Jeeps showing the flag? So I smiled a lot.
Old August 10, 2017, 06:18 AM   #16
smee78

I would take her to a range with a large selection of rental guns and let her try some out. I agree with what has already been posted, she needs to take an active part in choosing the gun. My wife is also indecisive at times and it can be trying but give it a try anyway, if she takes an active part she will likely be more interested in the weapon.

If a double stack is to heavy/big consider a single stack. Just be aware that the smaller/lighter guns will be snappy in the recoil department.

Ruger LC9S
Glock 43
S&W Shield
Sig 239
S&W 3913
Commander size 1911 in 9mm
Old August 10, 2017, 06:37 AM   #17
CDR_Glock

Smith and Wesson pro M&P. The grip is more oval and fits smaller hands. The longer Barrel helps with accuracy. You can add a light for HD and the extra weight helps with Muzzle rise.

Also use 115 gr bullets...

The other option is a Beretta 92. Same ergonomics. All steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 10, 2017, 07:16 AM   #18
TXAZ

Marine6680 had some great advice.

Note that in ANY caliber there are some very smooth guns and some very snappy recoil guns. It has to do with weight, spring constants and internal timing of moving parts, so don't pre-judge all 9's / .40's or whatever until you / she has tried them.

Old August 10, 2017, 08:00 AM   #19
HistoryJunky

I would agree with Marine6680. My wife and I both have small hands. We both wear a size small glove or smaller.

Trigger reach is important. The M&P with small backstrap worked good for me when I had it. My wife could rack it and she has weak hands due to medical issues.

She can also rack my CZ-85B.

If you can get your lady to make the choice, let her. The more she likes the gun, the more likely she will shoot it.

Maybe point her over to the CorneredCat website. Lots of useful information on there for all shooters from a female perspective. I believe the authors name is Kathy Jackson.

I would not recommend the P-07 though, just based on that she cannot rack it. I own the P-07 and love it but it is a fair bit more difficult to rack than my 85.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old August 10, 2017, 08:13 AM   #20
Hal

Hard to beat a Browning Hi Power....
..especially one with Craig Spegel thin grips.
They change the overall feel of the every so slightly chunky HP to a svelte thing of beauty that just melts into your hand.
Old August 10, 2017, 08:19 AM   #21
doofus47

Walther P99 has several nice backstraps, the PPQ is even more sculpted. If she's thinking of carrying, a PPS M2 might be a good choice.
Old August 10, 2017, 08:33 AM   #22
adamBomb

If she isn't even willing to go to shops and try out guns will she really spend time practicing with this weapon and learning how to use it? Honestly, I would probably be telling her to get a revolver if I didn't think she was really going to be using it a lot. They are much better options as 'safe' guns that won't really get used.

Having said that, my sister is a similar build/age as her and she went with the glock 42. Small, easy to conceal, big enough to hold, and pretty low recoil as the 42 is a larger 380. She uses it for concealed carry and home defense.
Old August 10, 2017, 12:30 PM   #23
Model12Win

Why a 9mm?

Some nasty .380 loads out there that will do the job nicely. Something like a Glock 42 would be about perfect for her.
Old August 10, 2017, 01:17 PM   #24
Aloha8

Of course, it's an individual sort of thing. My wife was in a similar situation, although she had some shooting experience. In fact, she has a Taurus Ultra-lite and a S&W Air weight, both in .38 SPL, and both with recoil that she just can't handle (and we're not talking shooting +P); actually hurts her hand after 10 or so shots, even with wadcutters for practice. Now, if you have handguns for self-defense that you hate so much that you don't even want to practice... well, something has to be done.

Off to the range we go where she shot several pistols that were small enough to fit her well including a Glock 43, a Ruger LCP, and a Shield, all in 9mm. Once she shot the Shield, she was sold. Recoil?, I asked. What recoil she answered. Just as expected, the Shield is perfect in size, recoil management, and accuracy for my wife.
Old August 10, 2017, 02:21 PM   #25
cc-hangfire

Based on the OP's two posts:
- 25 y.o. athletic female shooter
- grip size of Ruger SR22 and even SIG P226 is good, but she prefers the thinner (SR22) grip
- Recoil is not a problem with a full sized, metal frame gun, but single stack 9mm's have way too much recoil for her
- to keep it on her nightstand = home use, not carry
- she wants the OP to decide (oh man, that IS dangerous)

So, a compact or full size gun (night stand gun, absorbs recoil better) with an ergonomic grip, & polymer frame (lighter than the P226) & double stack (wider grip spreads the recoil impulse). Picking from the most commonly available & affordable:
1. S&W M&P 9c or even full size, 1st or 2nd gen
2. Springfield XD 9mm, compact or full size
3. CZ P07
4. SIG P320 - wait till the current drop/discharge issue gets worked out

There are others (Walther, Styer, Ruger, etc) that would work but aren't as common (=easy to find, have plenty of accessories like holsters, magazines, replacement sights, ...).
I have Glocks, and like them, but the grips on the double stacks are like a slightly contoured 2x4 board compared to the competition.