The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 3, 2015, 09:31 PM   #1
cbhester

Conceal Carry - IWB Holsters

For the last few years I had been carrying a Taurus TCP .380 (very small) in either a pocket holster or an IWB holster. Being as small as it is, any of the IWB holsters are really very comfortable.

I recently started using a Glock 19 as my EDC. I want to carry IWB as it seems to me to be the best way to conceal in terms of ease of access if needed. So far I have tried the Balde Tech Nano IWB holster which was very uncomfortable (especially when sitting or driving), and the Galco Kingtuk, which is considerably more comfortable and gives me the ability to get deeper concealment which I want.

That said, I'm curious if there is an IWB holster out there that has a barrier between the entire grip (not just the slide) and your skin. The Kingtuk is pretty comfy for the most part but if I'm not wearing an undershirt I notice that the grip of the gun commonly sticks to my side.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Old June 3, 2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Nathan

There is. . .It is in all the gun rags, but I think it would make gripping too hard. IMHO, you would be best to find a holster which places the grip as close or far as you want.

I'm thinking the Milt Sparks SSII will do that. A knock off will be different.
Old June 3, 2015, 10:40 PM   #3
garryc

What I use, same as a crossbreed at half the price

http://www.homesteadholsters.com/
Old June 4, 2015, 07:08 AM   #4
cbhester

Thanks for the replies. I looked around on the Homestead page, thanks for that. They seem very similar to the Glaco Kingtuk I have, still doesn't look like they have a barrier between the skin and the entire grip.

In my way of thinking, it seems like they could create a paddle type piece with either leather or felt backing against your skin that contours around the hip area. This would keep it out of the way of the grip for easier draw ability. That said, maybe I should go into business making them cause I can't seem to find any.

Keep the suggestions coming if you have them. Thanks again.
Old June 4, 2015, 09:05 AM   #5
garryc

I actually fount that leather tab a bit too much and trimmed it back. Of course it goes behind the slide and not the grip. I always wear a Tee shirt tucked in and another shirt over top. Between that Tee shirt and my underwear
it does not ride on my skin at all
Old June 4, 2015, 09:46 AM   #6
serf 'rett

If I recall correctly, the Crossbreed SuperTuck standard cut has a little more leather in the grip area. It does not cover the entire grip. I wouldn't want the entire grip covered as it might impede the draw.
Old June 4, 2015, 10:21 AM   #7
garryc

I don't care how they cut it anything riding on bare skin is not going to be comfortable
Old June 4, 2015, 11:41 AM   #8
BigMikey76

https://www.n82tactical.com/products/holsters/

I have not tried these holsters - my Alien Gear holsters were less expensive and they work nicely for me. They seem to meet your requirements, though. The original tuckable has a soft leather and elastic shell, which makes reholstering difficult. The professional version uses a hard shell for retention, but it requires you to twist the gun on your draw stroke to release it, which means you will have to practice with it to build the proper muscle memory. They get great reviews, though.

Of course, my solution to the issue of skin contact is to wear an undershirt - way cheaper than getting a new holster.
Old June 4, 2015, 11:54 AM   #9
serf 'rett

I didn't see a mention of your carry position. You might find less rub by a change in location. For example 4:00 carry will generally not chaffe as much as 3:00 for some folks.

Last edited by serf 'rett; June 4, 2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old June 4, 2015, 01:48 PM   #10
cbhester

Quote:
I didn't see a mention of your carry position. You might find less rub by a change in location. For example 4:00 carry will generally not chaffe as much as 3:00 for some folks.
I carry at 4:00. The N82 holsters look more comfortable, although I'm not big on the single belt clip. In fact, I'm not big on clips at all, while were on the subject, does anyone know if belt loop upgrades are available for the Galco Kingtuk? I have been unable to find any to this point.
Old June 4, 2015, 04:00 PM   #11
jmhyer

+1 on the benefits of an undershirt for comfort.
Old June 4, 2015, 05:48 PM   #12
bungiex88

I use a crossbreed holster makes the 1911 feel like it's not there
Old June 4, 2015, 06:36 PM   #13
Jim567

I wanted to carry a 19 IWB.
Tried a few holsters -
For me getting up sitting back down. Ugh.
Just too uncomfortable.
Don't like the step down in fire power but- I pocket carry a LCP.
Don't know it's there - but at least it's there.
Old June 5, 2015, 07:56 PM   #14
AK103K

I used Blade Tech IWB and Milt Sparks Versa Max II's for a couple of decades, and always found them comfortable and serviceable. Ive also used a Nano, and really had no complaints. They are not as well made as the standard IWB, but still very serviceable.

For the past couple of years now, Ive been using a Blade Tech Ambi Klipt AIWB holster, and wish Id switched to this mode of carry years ago. Its very comfortable, very concealable, and very fast to get the gun into action. Its also much easier to protect the gun, and pretty much eliminates any bump frisk or inadvertent giveaway.

I can easily hide my Glock 17 and its reload under an untucked polo shirt or tee shirt.

IWB of any type takes a little getting used to, especially if youre not used to it. You need to give it a week or so of daily carry, to find your "sweet spot", and allow your body to adapt. Once you get used to it, I think youre going to find its very comfortable, and really the best way to wear a gun.

I really dislike wearing any holster against my bare skin, but especially leather. Bad for you, bad for your gun. A tee shirt underneath is really a necessity if your wearing it all day, every day.

If you sweat, kydex is your friend, and leather is not.
Old June 5, 2015, 08:44 PM   #15
garryc

Crossbreed SuperTuck $69.75

Homestead Holster $34.85

The only difference is $34.90. There is no other real difference.
Old June 7, 2015, 10:37 AM   #16
osbornk

Best $35 I have spent. http://www.everydayholsters.com/prod...ter-tuk-deluxe
Old June 7, 2015, 12:53 PM   #17
A pause for the COZ

I have Alien Gear holsters. Backer for a full size and also one for a compact.
The shells are replaceable, swappable, and adjustable for tension. Plus they offer free shell trade in when you change guns.
I have not had others to compare, But I like mine. Getting ready to order a shell for a XD's 45.
That will make 5 shells. I guess I like options.
They do offer a package deal for two holsters. Their special right now is two complete rigs for $49.88

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; June 7, 2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old June 7, 2015, 05:41 PM   #18
garryc

LOL, looks like we have an XD/Glock/ M+P thing going on. All the same thing.

OP knows the type were talking, which one he takes is based on a subjective criteria.
Old June 9, 2015, 07:14 AM   #19
SCFarmer

www.alphaholster.com
I like the Alpha Holster. it carries about any gun and does a good job of concealing.
Old June 10, 2015, 06:21 PM   #20
Brit

I have one some one gave me? It is just a kydex sheath, with a single hook, a thin kydex, carry at 4 o'clock. Panther?

It has a blue medical style tape on the screws, my pants fit snug, b/4 the inside holster is inserted, but it is comfortable. Very close to the body, of course, draw is a fraction slower than outside the belt.

But the presentation is dead on, front sight, lined up perfect.
Old June 13, 2015, 10:00 AM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

OP, if the problem is the coarse grip on the G19, perhaps a cheaper solution would be to fit something over the grip. I've never done this, but I've heard of folks cutting a piece of inner tube (bicycle inner tube?) and fitting that over the grip. I'll bet a local bike shop may have an inner tube that's shot that you could get for free. Free is always good.
Old June 13, 2015, 11:23 AM   #22
Brit

I have wore an under shirt all my life, it gets marked up over time with the grips on my Glock 19.

But I have a drawer full.

Sorry all, 4 or 5 days... Back to outside the belt! To much of me inside the belt! Small Kydex holster, conceals well enough.

Last edited by Brit; June 15, 2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old June 20, 2015, 12:12 PM   #23
Powdersmoke

IWB holsters

I have a bunch of IWB holsters but my Ted Blocker DA3 is the cream of the crop. I can put it on with a full size Glock 17 or 22 and go for a 30 mile bicycle ride without experiencing any discomfort. It stays where you put it too. I think I could do cartwheels with this holster on and it wouldn't move nor would the gun fall out.
Old June 22, 2015, 01:03 AM   #24
maghexjunkie

Went from StealthGear to Crossbreed.
Old June 24, 2015, 03:31 AM   #25
boondocker385

I keep trying IWB but don't find them comfortable with any of the guns I have tried. I have pretty much given up but I have always dressed for carrying a gun (tailored coats, shirts with long tails, etc. And just find it much easier to OWB, especially if carry magazines (which I always do). I don't worry much about printing or accidental flashing. This is a little of topic, but your attitude when carrying (being completely with carrying) will give most people the impression you are a cop or some other LE type and most won't say a word. Being g uncomfortable with either and inside or outside WB will more likely cause problems. People pick up on it and it makes them wonder about you.

Tags
ccdw , galco , glock , iwb