The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 19, 2006, 10:40 PM   #1
MetalMan

MOB carry question

I know this topic has been discussed before but....I need some insight.
I carry a PT145 in a Bianchi Pro 100 lefty ( I'm right handed) as a IWB, middle of back. I've heard all the opinion on spinal injury resulting from a fall and am willing to accept that risk, however,I carry on the belt quite often as well but find slipping the gun into the MOB is a VERY discreet and comfortable mode of carry.
The question- is there any distinct advantage/ disadvantage or safety issue to a palm in or palm out draw from IWB/behind the back? My holster is set up for palm out currently and it seems to me both draw modes work.....your thoughts?
Old December 20, 2006, 02:00 AM   #2
Axion

From what I've been told the downside with palm out carry is that during the draw there will be a point where the gun is pointed right at your own midsection. Not ideal.
Old December 20, 2006, 03:31 AM   #3
stephen426

While MOB carry is pretty good at hiding the gun, it is also slower to draw from than strong side carry. I can hide a Glock 26 under my t-shirt carrying without a holster. When you draw from MOB, you have to "swing the gun" around your body to be on target. With strong side carry, you just have to clear the holster and swivel the pistol upwards to be on target. It is hard to conceal a large gun without a jacket with strong side carry though.
Old December 20, 2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Covert Mission

MOB is comfortable, with the natural indentation in your lower lumbar area, even when sitting in many cases. It has several disadvantages:

1- when you bend over, and your concealment garment rides up, the gun may be exposed or at least will print distinctly

2- If you get knocked on your patoot, and fall flat on your MOB, you run a serious risk for spinal column injury...no laughing matter (I broke L2/L3 in a cycle crash).

3- It could be slower, and you may sweep your own self on the draw

4- someone definitely could get the drop on you, sneak up, and disarm you snatching your own gun away. Hard to prevent in some cases. Not a good thing.

Advantage: You could have hand on gun discreetly, while standing, and look fairly relaxed and natural. More than with strong side IWB anyway. A shoulder rig lets you do this too, as could a crossdraw. In theory.

I still prefer strongside, IWB or OWB. Easier to sweep back the cover garment, and faster.

My $.02. YMMV. Cheers.
Old December 20, 2006, 10:45 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
From what I've been told the downside with palm out carry is that during the draw there will be a point where the gun is pointed right at your own midsection. Not ideal.
For this reason, some holstermakers won't make this type of holster.

It IS possible to draw from this kind of holster without pointing the gun at yourself, but IMO, it's less of a natural feeling draw and is slower than drawing from a palm-in MOB/SOB holster without pointing the gun at yourself.
Old December 21, 2006, 12:15 AM   #6
38splfan

Palm out.

I have a Star 9mm outfitted with a ClipDraw on the left side of the frame, which allows me secure holsterless carry with a palm-out draw (right handed).
I've found that when riding, it is more comfortable to me than having it on either hip. I just bought my bike jackets a size larger for the longer tail and have had no concealment issues. I also make sure to clip it over my pants, but under a fairly tight belt, for better retention.

Keep in mind though that this is really a backup/low threat level gun and carry. In a place where having to use your firearm may be more likely, or if clothing/activities allow, I still prefer a proper OWB strong side holster.

The biggest downside to palm-in carry to me is that (my experience) you have to have more room/freedom to move around, especially your elbows, to draw properly. This won't always be available, and you can be certain that Mr. Murphy will ensure that when you need your pistol there will be a brick wall to your immediate left and right.

The biggest downside to palm-in is the likelyhood of sweeping yourself. I practiced many times the technique of drawing and keeping the muzzle straight down until it was past my hip. A little slower, but safer.

Do what works and is comfortable for you. Once you find out what works, unload your pistol and PRACTICE it. One of the best safeties your firearm has is knowing how to handle it properly.
Old December 21, 2006, 01:19 AM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The biggest downside to palm-in carry to me is that (my experience) you have to have more room/freedom to move around, especially your elbows, to draw properly.
Seriously? Assuming that the holster is in the same place, I can't work myself into a position that will work with one but not the other. If there's more than an inch of elbow position difference, I can't tell it.
Quote:
I practiced many times the technique of drawing and keeping the muzzle straight down until it was past my hip. A little slower, but safer.
Wouldn't it be faster and safer yet to draw from the palm-in position?

Gotta admit that I'm puzzled about this one. Maybe my elbow/arm flexibility is different from most...
Old December 21, 2006, 06:30 AM   #8
38splfan

Odd.

Yes it is odd about the elbows. I'm still recovering my complete range of motion from a rotator-cuff injury last year, and that might have a bit to do with it. I suppose everyone's body is a bit different. Another consideration is that a palm out draw allowed me to carry the pistol much lower in the waistband without hindering access as much. Seemed like palm in had me grabbing a handful of belt whereas palm out allows me to slide/guide my hand down my back behind the gun.

It took a lot of experimenting to make this carry method work for me. Especially since when riding there is a pretty good chance of exposure. I had to alter it quite a bit to make it more concealable for my purposes.

What I found works best for me is to wear the gun just before SOB, call it 5:00/5:30 using the clock method. Palm out and very low in the waistband.

Again this method of carry allows (and really requires) lots of personalization/customization to make it fit you. The things I mentioned were based entirely on personal experiences and observations. Hopefully they provided some information and things to be considered, but are certainly not a be-all-end-all.

Hope that helps clear it up a bit.
Old December 21, 2006, 12:02 PM   #9
MetalMan

Thanks

From what I've seen in offerings for a palm out MOB holster only Fist seems to have no problem with this style of carry.
I practice drawing my weapon from this position daily and have eleminated sweeping my body.It seems this may be a matter of preference after all.I do agree that the most effective mode is strong side OWB but it's just not always the best carry mode for me. Concealment has yet to be any issue ,even my wife is often surprised to reach around me and feel the butt of a .45.
Thanks for all of your feed back so far.