The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 21, 2006, 10:05 AM   #1
mete

Good Samaritan

I hadn't heard of this scam for a while though it's an old one .Typically a BG makes like his car is broken down .Then he waits for a 'good samaritan' to stop and help at which point he robs him. It happened in Cinncinati yesterday when two men stopped to help a broken down car only to be robbed at gun point !! Heard this on the Cincinnati radio station ,somehow they know who the BG is and are looking for him.
Old November 21, 2006, 10:42 AM   #2
Big Don

Not any more

I'm the kind of guy who used to stop and help little old ladies or kids who appeared to be in trouble. I might still help the women but not without sizing them and the area up before I put myself in harm's way. I don't mind using my cell phone to call the auto club for them but I don't get out of my vehicle like I used to.

Your post reminded me of the many stories that make their way around the Internet, some true, some myth, about just such events. While the BG's may not use perfume to lure women into their cars, they're certainly not above asking for "help", just as the guys did in your post.

While many of us would like to help, we certainly aren't about to exit our vehicles with gun in hand, "just in case", and the distances are typically just to short to allow for a quick draw. So, we drive on and hope the local LEO will stop to help instead. Sad days indeed.
Old November 21, 2006, 07:07 PM   #3
revjen45

God bless the good Samaritan who called LE when my bike blew the engine all over the pavement, leaving me next to the center divider with traffic whizzing by at 70 mph. They didn't need to stop- summoning aid worked just fine. It's indicative of how the world has gone to Hell that we have to be leery of stopping to help someone. When I was in high school I could take my .22 out for a plinking session without meeting the SWAT team.
Old November 21, 2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Big Don

70 MPH traffic

And those cases, LE would rather we DIDN'T stop to help That much less of a mess to clean up.
And as aside, I used to take an adult ed gunsmithing class at the high school in Brea, CA. You'd see 10-15 adults arrive carrying all kinds of firearms into the wood shop. Can imagine that now?!
Old November 22, 2006, 06:13 AM   #5
paramedic70002

On the other side of the issue, I remember many years ago a good samaritan that would stop and help people, and when/if they offered to compensate him (Hey thanks, whada I owe ya?), would shoot them.
Old November 24, 2006, 12:14 AM   #6
dave421

about 2 years ago I was visiting a friend a couple of weeks after my wife and I split up. I left his place late (1 a.m. or so) and started driving home. After a couple of miles, I saw a couple by their car on the side of the road. I had always been one of those people that tried to stop and help hoping that someone would do the same for me if I ever needed it. So, I stopped, walked up to the car and they told me they had a flat. I went to look, bent down, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a gun come out. I woke up a few minutes later after (thankfully) being hit over the head rather than shot. Now, I don't stop. If it looks like an emergency, I call HP or the police.

That's one of 2 reasons that I now carry (the other was a "friend" who didn't like the idea of me taking him to rehab, pointed a 1911 at my head, and then pulled the trigger on an empty chamber). It's sad that our society has now gotten to the point where good samaritans are afraid to help for fear of their own safety.
Old November 24, 2006, 12:57 AM   #7
cloudcroft

Yes, and it's also sad to see some woman look terrified and roll up the window/lock the doors when you stop and walk up trying to help, because she doesn't trust you.

I don't blame her but it's still sad.

All this hassle we have to go through because of pathetic predatory criminals...human trash that makes life difficult for us in other ways, too, from something fairly innocuous like always having to lock up everything , even for JUST FOR A DAMN MINUTE, because some lazy lowlife POS might try to burglarize our house or car, or, to something more serious like watching our backs all the time in case someone tries to mug/rob us...and shoot us for not having enough money to fork over.

Or worse.

If criminals were taken care of properly -- eliminated once they're identified and their numbers GREATLY reduced -- maybe America could get back to being a polite, helpful and trusting society.

So much for the "war" on crime.

-- John D.
Old December 13, 2006, 04:29 PM   #8
Covert Mission

Years ago a friend, who was a retired GySgt of the Marines, taught me a lesson.

He took a lot of road trips, and would always stop for a broken down car if the motorist looked in need. He would always have his snubby in his jacket pocket too, just in case. One time, as he approached the car, the motorist/BG started to reach for the tire iron he had resting on the engine. My friend just stuck out his hand, still in pocket but clearly holding something, and said "I wouldn't try that, pal." He backed away, drove off, and reported it to the local mounties.

Better safe than sorry.