The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 11, 2013, 02:39 AM   #1
GunnerinBC

FN 49 chamber issues.

Hi Guys, new guy here. I have a beautiful Egyptian 49 looks to be reworked (by Century?) New stock and plastic butt plate etc. I have tried the 90s vintage Yugo ammo as well as the 55/56 stuff. The cases get stuck and pretty scratched up. The cases will not seat fully in the barrel/chamber. They come up about 2MM short. I have tried single shot and same thing happens. I do have some old egyptian ammo I have not tried. I have researched this a bit and apparently not uncommon especially in Century builds. Do I need to do a chamber cast?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will not shoot this again until the problem is sorted. Thanks.
Old July 11, 2013, 03:10 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Are you sure it is Egyptian? The 49 was made in four calibers, 8x57, 7x57, 7.65x54 and .30-'06. Your description sounds like an Argentine rifle in 7.65.

A chamber cast would tell for sure.

Jim
Old July 11, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
chiefr

10-4 on the chamber cast. You can DIY by seaching forums.

I thought I would pass on Springfield Sporters has new 8mm barrels if you have a barrel problem.
You are the first I have ever heard of with a problem with the FN 49 Concur, they are well made and beautiful.
Old July 11, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
GunnerinBC

It has an Egyptian crest but no other arabic marks. I was digging through my ammo dump and found a box of S&B 8 x 57. I fit smoothly into the barrel so I went out and fired it on single fire. Stuck slightly. Not near as bad as the Yugo. Then I switched to semi auto and shot some old Egyptian ammo. It stuck a little but I had cycling problems. I took the gun to a local gunsmith to check out the chamber. In addition, I believe the recoil spring is the wrong one which is adding to the extraction problem. I love the weapon and look forward to finding a solution.
By the way, a brand new spare barrel came with it. Neither had a caliber mark anywhere on them but I am sure it is 8MM. The seller said it was and had fired it in the past with no problem(?)
Old August 12, 2013, 02:06 AM   #5
GunnerinBC

I continue to have problems. It is definitely an 8mm. It fires the Yugo 55 ammo well. Won't cycle the 56 or the 90s Yugo stuff. I tried single fire with commercial ammo. Case sticks in chamber. I believe the Turk ammo is to hot for it (?) so I haven't tried it yet. It has been to the gunsmith who cleaned the chamber thoroughly. Said there was no problem. I replaced the gas sleeve adjuster but that is not the problem. It throws the shells up to 15 feet when using the Yugo 11-55 on strippers. Seems to be the only ammo it likes. Everything else gets stuck in the chamber. Single or semi-auto. It is very frustrating. I have 3 other rifles in 8MM, 12 total including 3 other semi-autos. I'm not an idiot but I am at my wits end with this. Oh and the front hand guard flies off with first shot. I love the gun when it shoots well.
Old August 12, 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
tahunua001

I would say you probably have either an extractor issue, or a recoil spring issue... but that's just guessing on my part, without being able to see what's goign I just have to run through the mechanics in my brain.

if the gunsmith cleaned the chamber and it really is 8mm then those are the only things left I can imagine would cause it.
Old August 12, 2013, 11:37 AM   #7
SDC

Take a really close look at the chamber; since these were used exclusively with corrosive ammo in Egyptian service, it's possible you could have some bad pitting in the chamber, preventing clean extraction.
Old August 12, 2013, 04:21 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

With the gas escape port closed off those guns really eject! I saw one throw German steel cases so hard one case mouth stuck into the bark of a pine tree. Maybe they were designed for use by troops who were surrounded by the enemy.

Jim
Old August 12, 2013, 09:42 PM   #9
barnbwt

BTW, there's a ton of 8mm replacement barrels out there. Just replace it if it's mucked up that badly. I have a feeling all those spares were made for a reason...

TCB