The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 4, 2013, 08:31 PM   #26
snakyjake

This is the one I'd get...

Safety Technology International STI-34100 Solar Powered Wireless Driveway Monitor

Jake
Old August 5, 2013, 01:17 PM   #27
southjk

Quote:
This is the one I'd get...
Unfortunately that one can be defeated simply by walking up the driveway.

Quote:
Movement of any large metallic (iron or steel) object close to the driveway sensor will transmit a signal to the receiver, causing the receiver to chime and flash. People, animals and shadows will not trigger the driveway sensor.
I want to know if someone is trying to sneak up to my house and it's unlikely they would drive up.
Old August 5, 2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Garycw

"Driveway sensors"

Quote:
Originally Posted by southjk View Post
Unfortunately that one can be defeated simply by walking up the driveway.

I want to know if someone is trying to sneak up to my house and it's unlikely they would drive up.
Check out the Optex wireless 2000. Believe me, I've went through 1/2 doz brands and these are hands down the best for detection and range. Everything from photoelectric beams with trans/ receiver aligned , microwaves and pir ( passive infrared). If you want to just detect a car coming up your driveway or activate a gate to exit , the buried magnetic sensor works great, but the optex will do that too.
Old August 16, 2013, 09:47 PM   #29
jrothWA

For my homes, I have used the regular motion sensors,

from the hardware store. When I set the sensitivity, I used my dog (Springer Spaniel) to run through to avoid the small animals.

These sensors can be used to function as a alarm sensor and not turn on a light.

Also locate any lights as silhouette the situation but NOT illuminate yourself.
Old August 17, 2013, 11:58 AM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My dad's driveway has a "birdhouse" with a telescopic aerial antennae out of the roof... It chimes at 2 or 3 locations on the property... Main house, my dad's place and the shop building...

They have it to clear most small critters but some yotes and the deer trigger it...

Brent
Old August 19, 2013, 09:23 AM   #31
Yankee Traveler

The OP asked about driveway sensors...somebody trying to sneak up on your house on foot is probably not going to use the driveway.

But, redundancy is optimum.

Magnetic sensor buried 20'-25' from the road means it will not go off if someone is using your driveway to turn around.

Other key entrance points to your property covered with motion sensor alarms with different chimes, and the perimeter of your home with motion/heat sensor activated lights. And a BFD.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:55 AM   #32
snakyjake

I'd use video surveillance with software zoning and customization. Not only will you detect someone coming up your driveway/house, you'll have information you can provide to the police (license plate, vehicle details, suspects).
Old August 20, 2013, 11:03 PM   #33
Boomer58cal

I have 7 motion sensors on my 40 acre property. The hardest part was finding where to set them up so they wouldn't be set off by animals. I have them set so that nothing under about a foot and a half will set them off, but where you'd have to climb over a fence to get past them. It take some time to set them up but once there set they work great.

In fact I've been able to learn the patterns of the deer on my property with them

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; August 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Can't type
Old August 22, 2013, 10:27 AM   #34
craZivn

I agree with Jake, cameras are cheap enough now that anyone who can afford to own property should be able to set a few up. They won't give you an alert when something crosses a beam, but they're an excellent complement to a motion-sensor alarm.

Ivan
Old August 23, 2013, 07:08 PM   #35
Garycw

"Driveway sensors"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
I'd use video surveillance with software zoning and customization. Not only will you detect someone coming up your driveway/house, you'll have information you can provide to the police (license plate, vehicle details, suspects).
In addition to the Optex sensors we've installed the everfocus two TB 16 ch dvr.and ups. To view when home. It can also set up video motion grids that when activated speeds up the recording on that channel as well as sending email with video clip. From that point you can rewind remotely from pc and smart phone or burn onto disc with integrated burner. Cameras are 900 line res. day/night cameras. If you install yourself you can keep it under $5k