The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 30, 2011, 08:34 AM   #26
scottycoyote

hk
Old August 30, 2011, 08:34 AM   #27
tjhands

Third generation Glock 17 without hesitation.

And I should add that I have owned ALL of the guns you mentioned.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:04 AM   #28
new_scopeshooter

XD9 is the way to go.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:17 AM   #29
PSP

I'm especially fond of the Beretta 92 you already have, as well as the HK USP, HKUSPc and the HK P30. any one of these three would be a great addition to your collection.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:49 AM   #30
Skans

Best full-sized 9mm is the Sig X-Five in 9mm. Some like the P-210 - I've never liked the grip or the capacity. Then I'd say either a good T or C-series Belgian Hi-Power and/or Sphinx AT2000.

You said "best".
Old August 30, 2011, 10:10 AM   #31
C0untZer0

I have to say that the Glock 17L is a long-barreled gun with great sight radius and it's not heavy like a big gun due to the polymer frame and cut-out slide.

I'm sure the rounds must chrono out of a 17L 20 to 30fps faster than some of the other models listed here.

It's a big gun that doesn't feel like a big gun.
Old August 30, 2011, 12:41 PM   #32
Northern Gal

I've got to vote w/ those saying the Springfield XDm. It's reliable, it's accurate, and it isn't priced to break the bank.
Old August 30, 2011, 01:00 PM   #33
larry60

The XDM competition with 5.25" barrel best of the bunch 9mm XDM's 19+1 capacity
Old August 30, 2011, 01:05 PM   #34
WVsig

There is not universal best.... IMHO. There might however be one that is best for you.

My personal list:
  • Browning Hi Power
  • Sig P226
  • Sig P228 (Tweener not really fullsized)
  • Sig SP2022
  • Glock 17

For me the BHP is way out in front of the rest of the pack.
Old August 30, 2011, 01:07 PM   #35
WVsig

Quote:
- HK pistols are designed to meet or exceed NATO specifications. NATO spec testing includes tests not conducted by many commercial makers such as drop tests, obstructed bore tests, extreme temps, ice, static, sand, etc.

- HK uses the highest quality materials (steel, polymer, and molds). The production costs are also high due to the cost of the tooling and QC checks HK puts into their manufacture. HK produces the majority of all parts in house (including magazines) which keeps the QC on every component very tight.

- 100% of HK pistol are proof tested and factory zeroed. They do not test just a small percentage of their pistols, like some other companies do.

- All HK pistols are assembled by master armorers, not armorers apprentices. In addition, the average German worker is paid a higher wage then American workers.

- HK rigorously tests their products to destruction in a "Firing Lab" manned with very senior test personnel before the design is frozen. This reduces the incidence of post-release issues. HK also takes and test its products at remote environmental test facilities to include desert (Yuma Proving Grounds, Saudi Arabia), arctic (Norway, Alaska), jungle (Brunei, Panama).

Just a few reasons why HK pistols cost what they do
You forgot all the money they pump into marketing.....
Old August 30, 2011, 01:28 PM   #36
zombieslayer

Id say Walther P99as.
Old August 30, 2011, 01:45 PM   #37
tynimiller

Factual stated question, but only opinion based answers possible. *Not applicable to respond.
Old August 30, 2011, 01:58 PM   #38
IgnoranceKills

I like BrittB's Chevy small block comparison. I'll take it another step. My Glock 19 is my "daily driver" at the range. I'm comfortable putting thousands of rounds through it and it's quick and easy to clean. Those other guns might be sexier, but the Glock is a lot of gun for the money, IMHO.
Old August 30, 2011, 02:07 PM   #39
overkill0084

I did the same quest already. The answer is going to be different depending on the person.
For me it was a CZ75BD. Priced as good (or better in some cases) as the polymer wonders, but made of actual metal throughout.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old August 30, 2011, 02:20 PM   #40
Boats

Quote:
I lifted this from - H&K 4 LIFE but I think it's a good run down.
- HK pistols are designed to meet or exceed NATO specifications. NATO spec testing includes tests not conducted by many commercial makers such as drop tests, obstructed bore tests, extreme temps, ice, static, sand, etc.

- HK uses the highest quality materials (steel, polymer, and molds). The production costs are also high due to the cost of the tooling and QC checks HK puts into their manufacture. HK produces the majority of all parts in house (including magazines) which keeps the QC on every component very tight.

- 100% of HK pistol are proof tested and factory zeroed. They do not test just a small percentage of their pistols, like some other companies do.

- All HK pistols are assembled by master armorers, not armorers apprentices. In addition, the average German worker is paid a higher wage then American workers.

- HK rigorously tests their products to destruction in a "Firing Lab" manned with very senior test personnel before the design is frozen. This reduces the incidence of post-release issues. HK also takes and test its products at remote environmental test facilities to include desert (Yuma Proving Grounds, Saudi Arabia), arctic (Norway, Alaska), jungle (Brunei, Panama).

Just a few reasons why HK pistols cost what they do
All of that money and engineering effort and none of it, zip, zilch, nada, is spent on making a decent trigger pull.

Oh yeah, the answer:

CZ-SP01 in steel.

SIG P226 Navy w/ 18 round anti-friction coated Mec-Gar mags in it rather than stock for alloy framed.

Beretta PX4 for polymer hammer fired.

S&W M&P9 for polymer striker fired.
Old August 30, 2011, 02:27 PM   #41
Darmok

Of the ones listed in the original post, I'd have to say the Sig P226. I prefer the Browning Hi-Power over any of them though.
Old August 30, 2011, 03:01 PM   #42
RC20

Of those listed, agreed on the P226 by reputation.

A mix of striker and hammer fired so kind of open on direction.

To serioulsy consider is the Sig SP2022. Equal to the HK P30 I have shot (some and some, grip not as good, decock not as ergonomic but the trigger is better, shoots every bit as well or better and price is outstanding making it the best price to quality value by leaps and bound (in hammer fired).

The other one not listed is the CZ P07 that has gotten good reviews, though their customer service seems iffy.
Old August 30, 2011, 05:16 PM   #43
yournodaisy

I'm old school..a 1960's or 70's vintage Browning High Power..as far as the newer ones...HK USP without a doubt.
Old August 30, 2011, 05:19 PM   #44
brian45auto

p08, the original 9mm.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:02 PM   #45
postmaster

Sig 226
HK usp
Old August 30, 2011, 06:05 PM   #46
Tactical Jackalope

Browning High-Power, SIG P226, Glock 17, Glock 34, XD-9, CZ-75, HK USP 9.

SA 1911 - XD45 - G21sf - G22 - G27 - Hk USP 40 - SIG P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - S&W M19-3 - CZ-82 - Remington 870
Old August 30, 2011, 06:13 PM   #47
NJgunowner

My list would be

Sig p226
Springfield 1911 loaded 9mm
CZ-75

And not in any particular order.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:17 PM   #48
Chris_B

As always...depends on how the pistol fits the shooter and how the trigger is

My P226 fits the bill well for me, although the P99 was a serious contender in my own choice for a full size 9mm

In my opinion there are so many great 9mm full size pistols that the only thing stopping you from finding the right one for you is that it's not easy to try them all out before you buy
Old August 30, 2011, 07:22 PM   #49
Mrgunsngear

Right now I say G17 all day. However, I just got a S&W M&P Pro 9mm 4 1/4'' with night sights today (I really want to go shoot but I'll wait until the weekend... ). I love M&Ps, have quite a few already, and this one has serious potential. That said, it would take a few years and a few thousand rounds to get on par with the G17 IMO.

Proven durability, good accuracy, and easy maintenance/gunsmithing make it hard to beat.
Old August 30, 2011, 07:26 PM   #50
Fishbed77

Quote:
Quote:
"I lifted this from - H&K 4 LIFE but I think it's a good run down.

Just a few reasons why HK pistols cost what they do"

All of that money and engineering effort and none of it, zip, zilch, nada, is spent on making a decent trigger pull.

Ain't that the truth. Also, funny how all of the above also applies to Walther pistols (real Walthers - the P99 & PPQ, not Umarex crap like the PK380 and P22), yet Walther still manages to sell the P99 for about $300 less than a comparable HK. With a better trigger to boot.

Tags
fnh 9mm , glock 17 , m&p9 , p226 , usp9