The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 11, 2009, 01:43 PM   #1
jg0001

Would you use Active Hearing Protection during a Home Invasion?

Subject says it all...

Is it worthwhile to keep ready a set of electronic muffs with the night-table gun? For example, I own a set of Peltor Swat Tac II's (very similar to the ComTacs, but in black). They amplify soft noises and muffle loud noises. I still assume that you'd ready your weapon first and then put on the muffs thereafter. Obviously, I also assume that this is a scenario where you "hear something" not where someone is already looming over you. [If it matters, for my particular setup, my bedroom is the farthest room from the entryway (stairs/door) and I keep the bedroom door locked at night.]

I can't see how this would be a negative... before any shots are fired, the sound amplification should help me considerably; assuming any shots are fired, after that first "boom" my hearing should be better than the intruder's, unless they brought ear plugs.

[As an aside, I realize the other best 'weapon' to have in a potential encounter is a telephone to alert the police. The wife would be doing that in my case.]

Would your answer change if I was shooting 9mm instead of 45ACP?

Thoughts?
Old February 11, 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Slopemeno

Sure, why not? But you have to insert finding them and putting them on in your training.

As far as the caliber, neither are really bad. .357 mag, .357 Sig, .38 Super, THAT's where it starts to hurt.
Old February 11, 2009, 02:11 PM   #3
P35

Why not wear them all the time? You can never be too prepared
Old February 11, 2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Recon7

Stay alert - Stay alive

Worry about your ears later.

If a little hearing damage is the worst of your concerns you did pretty good. I am not familiar with the electronic muffs, but it looks like they give Mr Murphy a lot to work with they could fail, batteries die, slip so that they cover your eyes etc etc etc. Less is often more If you are in a defensive posture and time is of the essence, you don't want to be fooling around with muffs.
Old February 11, 2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Recon7

Nice one p35, why not add some eye pro and steel toe boots.
Old February 11, 2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Wuchak

Sure. Keep them with the gun and flashlight. They offer an added advantage beyond preserving hearing. Most of them amplify sounds so you have bionic hearing. It could give you the edge.
Old February 11, 2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
I do...... I wear my Totoro earmuffs with my HelloKitty Kelvar jammies when I go to bed.

WildcantbetoopreparedAlaska ™
Old February 11, 2009, 02:21 PM   #8
goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
I think this belongs in that "OTHER" thread.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 11, 2009, 02:26 PM   #9
bufordtjustice

Given the variables you listed, readying the gun first, etc., why not have a set handy. I have Peltors that I use for training, target practice, etc. I don't think it is a terrible idea, I just wouldn't have it high on the list of priorities. As for others, the poster appears to be trying to ask a legitimate question as he sees it, so give him a legitimate answer. Don't be a jerk.
Old February 11, 2009, 02:35 PM   #10
chris in va

Problem is, many electronic muffs aren't true stereo. For example, my friend's Peltor 6s has side to side stereo, but I couldn't tell if someone was approaching from behind. I could *hear* it, just not discern if he was to my left or right.

Just a thought.
Old February 11, 2009, 02:36 PM   #11
#18indycolts

if someone is sneaking around your house, you might need your hearing. I've always pictured myself going around the house with my gun wearing my boxers...and thats all.
Old February 11, 2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Milspec

Strangely, my wife just bought me one of those $15 Loud 'N Clear sound amplifiers as "seen on TV". Think she's tired of me asking if she hears anything as if the dogs wouldn't pick it up first. Turns out the thing works pretty good. I'd certainly hear if anybody were moving around downstairs at night. Gotta remember to take the silly thing off before I shoot...a 115 db boost could be painfull..

Milspec

Colonel Bill Jordan
Old February 11, 2009, 05:01 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Problem is, many electronic muffs aren't true stereo. For example, my friend's Peltor 6s has side to side stereo, but I couldn't tell if someone was approaching from behind. I could *hear* it, just not discern if he was to my left or right.
It may depend on how they are set or perhaps just on how well the company does it. I have 2 sets from Radians, one hearing aid style and one earmuff style. I wear them both for hunting and I can easily tell direction with both. Front/Back and Left/Right.

So far as wearing them in a HD situation, sure, if they were right there and I could get them on without putting myself in danger. In reality, I don't keep them right there so, no.
Old February 11, 2009, 05:47 PM   #14
NickW

It’s a legitimate question, give the guy a break. I have a pair of muffs right beside my weapon; they actually help my hearing because I have hearing damage and tinnitus. Reaction time is the big question; if you have the time put them on.
Old February 11, 2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Sigma 40 Blaster

All smartass answers aside I don't see what it would hurt but that's an extra thing to try to remember while your heart's beating fast and you're nervous. Also unless you can do some really ninja stuff you'd have to lay down your gun (assuming you are a normal guy who doesn't sleep fully dressed with a Serpa holster on at the ready) to put your ears on.

An extra step during a moment of anxiety and uncertainty? Putting your gun down also?

I'd rather just go see what was up if you could safely investigate. But I guess it seems like a reasonable enough precaution. I'd personally prefer to skip that and use those seconds to clear up that anxiety and uncertainty. To each his own. Stay safe.
Old February 11, 2009, 08:15 PM   #16
mouse07410

Too dim to spend brain-cycles on ear protectors?

Putting ear protectors on takes very little time, if that's part of your practice. Keeping your gun, flashlight, cell phone and ear protectors on your nightstand - and figuring which items to pick up - shouldn't overwhelm the capacity of a normal brain, even under high stress. You know, in the army we somehow figured how upon alarm in the dead of the night to get up, fully dress, pick the complete assortment of weapons, get out of the barracks and get busy - all under 30 seconds.

If there is an intrusion - of course your first priority is to survive it (and the potential firefight). But assuming you do survive - wouldn't you rather escape unscathed - including avoiding hearing loss - especially if it's trivially easy to accomplish?

Now of course if you would prefer survival with busted ears to survival with ears intact - who am I to argue. For myself - I can space both the expense for electronic ear protectors and the time&efforts to train with them.
Old February 11, 2009, 08:25 PM   #17
armsmaster270

Think about it Cop's are more than likely to get into a SD shooting than John Q. How many cops do you see with ear plug/muffs on duty. Part of situational awareness is being able to hear where the bad guy is before he is a threat and ear plugs defeat that. A little hearing imparement is better than a big coffin. Also the ammount of noise from a SD shooting is negligable.
Old February 11, 2009, 08:45 PM   #18
dabigguns357

Better off deaf than dead.
Old February 11, 2009, 08:54 PM   #19
IZinterrogator

Quote:
(assuming you are a normal guy who doesn't sleep fully dressed with a Serpa holster on at the ready)
Sleep, no. Nap in my La-Z-Boy on the weekends, yes.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old February 11, 2009, 09:02 PM   #20
YARDDOG(1)

I wear em at the mall
Old February 11, 2009, 09:02 PM   #21
jg0001

Quote:
Part of situational awareness is being able to hear where the bad guy is before he is a threat and ear plugs defeat that.
Re-read the OP. I'm not talking plugs nor regular muffs. I'm talking Peltor Swat Tac II's... very similar to Com Tac II's. The same thing many in the military choose to wear. They BOOST low level sounds while auto-muffling louder noises.
Old February 12, 2009, 08:36 AM   #22
DVC9

jgoo1,

Nice idea but save your breath. If you notice most of the naysayers do not indicate that they have any experience using electronic muffs, only smart assed remarks.

It indeed is a good idea, as the sound amplification gives a definite advantage listening for target indicators that may give you input as to what you are going to be up against before you actually engage. As well as helping to locate your target/s.

If you haven't tried them, do so, you may find a new item for your defensive setup.

Oh and by the way, many Military units and Police SWAT teams are being issued Electronic headphones for all the advantages listed.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:16 AM   #23
ZeSpectre

If I could figure out which ones to get, I'd have electronic muffs and I'd probably keep them in the bedside safe just in case.

If I don't have the time/inclination to use 'em then so be it but I really like having options and the thought of touching off a .40 S&W round indoors without ear protection induces enough cringe that I wonder if it'd make me hesitate in a critical situation.

(so I'll accept any recommendations for good quality electronic earmuffs)
Old February 12, 2009, 12:16 PM   #24
jg0001

From my bedroom out to the living room is a long hallway; a shot fired in there would resonate in a bad way, I'd imagine. Multiple shots and it could be disorienting. Being shielded from that would provide an advantage, I would think, especially in the situation if multiple shots were fired. Obviously, the likelihood of ANY of this happening is very low, but that doesn't keep many of us from being prepared in the first place. Keeping my elecmuffs out and ready is no biggee for me. Whether I choose to take the time to put them on or not would obviously depend on the situation.

For those concerned about the 'extra time', consider this -- is it not possible that you'd "hear something" suspicious and begin your hunkering down process? Wouldn't that also assume there was a time gap between that first sound you hear and someone actually being a threat to you? Obviously, if someone busts open the door to the room you are in and that is the first warning to you that something bad is happening, well, just be happy if you can get your gun out. It was my understanding that the safest thing to do in the case were you are nearly certain you are under siege is to play defense... i.e. don't seek out the danger, wait for it to come to you (if at all), and be ready to respond.

FWIW, I have not ever heard a shot without protection, so am not sure of how loud and/or disorienting it would really be.
Old February 12, 2009, 12:35 PM   #25
jg0001

Quote:
(so I'll accept any recommendations for good quality electronic earmuffs)
Peltor ComTac II
or
Peltor SwatTac II

The SwatTac's are barely different from the ComTac's, with the exception of being black instead of brown(ish). There is one other difference for additional wiring, but it is minor. Pricewise, they are about the same.

Both of the above are without a doubt fantastic and receive ringing (inverse pun) endorsements from those in the military as well as hunters and mere range runners (I'm in that last category). Both are designed to fit well under a helmet (i.e. the outside of the muff part is flattened, not a big bubble as with usual muffs) and also to be easier to use with a rifle (again, due to the lack of a big bubble around your ears).

When looking these up online, you will see some wild prices. Usually the ridiculously high prices are because you are seeing them paired up with additional radio gear (mics, etc).

I bought my set for a great price at:
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...ert-Black.html
*edited to fix link above*

[to read user reviews, search for the "peltor comtac II" at amazon.com; there's a lot more feedback there]

Last edited by jg0001; February 13, 2009 at 10:53 AM.