The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 25, 2006, 10:12 PM   #1
houseof

backup gun

I just read the thread about mall attacks and i am curious to know who carries a backup gun, and i dont mean another pistol. I have a ccw and i carry an hk p7m8, i normally carry spare magazines in my briefcase which is normally not too far from me. but i also carry a 45/70 lever action in my truck.

Just curious if am overly paranoid, probably, i carry a ccw b/c i work in close proximity to large amounts of cash, over 50,000 and i figure that someone may be more organized than your common thief and have body armor/heavier firepower than myself

i realize that a lever gun is not a "tactical" type weapon but i figure i could really make someone in body armor have a really bad day, and because i live in california and my permit does not allow me to carry anything other than the 2 pistols listed on my card, i am limited to "transporting" this rifle and having to support this if i ever have to explain it to a leo/judge.

anyway just curious to know who carries a little bit more insurance
Old March 25, 2006, 10:50 PM   #2
BobK

I sometimes carry an 870 Rem in my trunk but not often. It is illegal in the state of Washington to transport a loaded long arm in a vehicle. So if I did need it I would have to load it first. That's providing that I have already fought my way back to my vehicle. Vehicle thefts are highly prevelant in this entire region. Although I have taken many precautions to prevent vehicle theft, I don't want to lose a firearm due to vehicle theft so I don't carry a longarm often. I prefer two handguns with reloads.
Old March 25, 2006, 11:23 PM   #3
Hayley

h...you know that any threat to your safety, where the motivation is the large amount of cash you mention, is going to be some kind of planned heist. I don't have the knowledge or experience to give you advice other than to consult a professional who can review your work routine and enviroment--perhaps someone conversant with CA law.

all the best
Old March 26, 2006, 05:55 AM   #4
threegun

House, Carrying the rifle in the car trunk will take to long to deploy for those kevlar robbers. Plus you open yourself up to theft of your rifle. I only bring my AR or shotgun if I am going to be away from home for extended periods or if the possibility of the poop hitting the fan exists, ie a riot brewing, storm comming, ect. For those kevlar robbers, get some magsafe super swat loads, they are kelvar defeating according to the late Joe Zambone.