The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 15, 2005, 11:07 PM   #1
Sid K

New Upper for my AR

I'm planning to buy a new heavy barrel upper assembly for my Rock River AR carbine. The purpose is to shoot heavier bullets out to 500 yards. The best price I've found is on an upper made by Vulcan. It is a 24" free floated stainless barrel with 1-8 twist. I know nothing about Vulcan except they used to make a very mean Gattling gun. Does anyone have knowledge of the quality of their small arms product?
Old February 16, 2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Master Blaster

Vulcan arms = Hesse which is known for making garbage.

Get something else.

Since you already have a rock river take a look here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at the varmint upper, I have one and its great very accurate and has a 1:8 twist which is good for heavier bullets. ADCO has some in stock for $540 They ship fast are are great to deal with.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/rockrive...s.cfm?page=rra

I bought 2 uppers from them, they are a RRA authorized dealer.
Old February 16, 2005, 09:42 PM   #3
bikenjam

Well, before i got my first target/varmint AR-15, i did a lot of stressing. I looked at rock river, bushmaster, armalite, dpms..... well, i settled on the dpms, but i'm not saying that you should. After reading/posting countless threads, i've learned that all of the brands listed make great guns. So, pick the one with the features you would like at a price you can handle. All the good varmint AR-15 out there are capable of 1/2" groups at 100 yards. This i know for sure, DPMS offers the most options, but its seems to me that the rock river varmints have a slight accuracy advantage.

let us know which one you get, and dont get to worked up on it
Old February 16, 2005, 09:54 PM   #4
mete

Heavier bullets ?? get an upper assembly chambered for 458 SOCOM !!
Old February 16, 2005, 10:55 PM   #5
Lycanthrope

Vulcan is absolute junk.

For heavy bullets get a twist designed for it and a manufacturer that factors this in. Most of your service rifle makers will produce a great product for this (White Oak Precision, Compass Lake, etc..). For the price, Olympic makes some really nice barrels in their ultra match line. For bullets 69gr and heavier, I prefer a 1:7 twist rate.
Old February 16, 2005, 11:25 PM   #6
2002gti

i also agree vulcan is garbage. i picked up a rra 24" from rbprecision.com for $350 less the bolt and carrier. i used my bushmaster bolt and sold off my 16" bushmaster upper for $325 so i only paid out $25-35 for my new 24"