The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2005, 12:30 PM   #1
roadgrime

question re kick and handloading/varmit 30-06

does anyone have an experience with the 30-06 hand loads and varmiting i know its overkill but i enjoy shooting the 30-06 and so have been contemplating a 110 grain just because ... I have most of the reloading books so if you want to point me to one thats ok. also i used to have software that would give an idea of the force of recoil but i dont remember exactly how it worked out. would the recoil expected be higher with a lighter round or is it based on the amount of powder?
Old March 23, 2005, 03:19 PM   #2
arthurrh

Formula follows. There are ways to do this in a single step, but I don't have the proper formula for that. So basically follow these three steps and it'll work it out for you.

Typically lighter bullet means less kick, to give you a brief answer.

=================================================

1. Calculate recoil impulse:
I=(WB * VB + 4000 * WC)/225400
Where
WB=wt of bullet in grains,
VB=velocity of bullet in fps, and
WC is the wt of the powder charge in grains. (I is in lbs/sec)

2. Calculate the velocity of the recoiling gun:
VG=32.2 * I / WG
Where
WG is the wt of the gun in lbs.,
32.2 is the acceleration due to gravity, and
I is the recoil impulse from calculation #1

3. Calculate the free recoil energy of the gun in ft lbs.
EG=WG * VG^2 / 64.4
Old March 23, 2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Number 6

First, the word is VARMINT;

not "varmit."

Second, as noted above, reducing bullet weight will reduce the recoil; also, as you acknowledged, .30-'06 is indeed "overkill" for a varmint load.

Two suggestions:

a. Use a sabot load, thus allowing you to shoot a .223 bullet in a .30 caliber gun. Remington used to sell these for .30-30, .308 and .30-'06 under the "Accelerator" name and the sabots can be bought separately from some suppliers.

b. Use the Speer "Plinker" bullet, which IIRC, is a 100-grain, half-jacketed bullet. As a cheaper (?) alternative, try the 110-grain bullets pulled from .30 Carbine loads. Try here: http://www.gibrass.com/projectiles.html

Good luck and good shooting!
Old March 23, 2005, 05:43 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I would like to second "number 6" comments

I have several boxes of "Accelerator" for 06 but I dont know if there still made since when there shot there are no marks on the bullet from the rifling I dont know if there "BAD" bullets in todays time.
But in a rem 700 there very sweet and they do one major job on a ground hog, here in Indiana we call it "Making green clouds". Hit a ground hog with one of those after he's been eating beans in early spring and you get the green cloud.
The recoil is more than an M16, but a little less than a 22-250. Very impressive and I have taken earthen piggies at over 300 yards with one.
The guns do require a little more care in cleaning the plastic from the barrel but its not a real problem unless you shot a bunch of them.
And the M1 carbine bullet (110) in a 06 will work with reduced loads but there not very accurate. I made some up for my wife and she enjoyed shooting them but 3 inch groups at 100 yards was about the best I could do.
Old March 23, 2005, 09:03 PM   #5
HSMITH

I've never gotten light bullets to shoot worth a hoot in an -06, and the accelerators were 5" or so at 100 yards.

If it were me I would look for a 150-165 grain bullet that was accurate, and let the recoil be what it needs to be for the rifle to shoot well.
Old March 24, 2005, 09:55 AM   #6
cobra81

You're not the only one who enjoys the ol' thirty-aught. I have a Savage that shoots at least as good if not better than my current level of
marksmanship, and I just like owning and using a firearm with such a rich and lengthy American heritage. I also like the versatility of having a gun that can be used in so many different situations.
I have worked up loads for all different kind of bullets, but most recently I have been focusing on lighter grain missiles, like the 110 grainers you mentioned. One load that works particularly well in my rifle is 27 grains of IMR SR4759 behind a Hornady V-Max 110 gr. bullet. I get very good accuracy with these loads, and they consistently chrono around 2500 fps. I have not had a chance yet to use this load on any live game, but from what I hear, they are spectacularly effective on varmints. So it's a little overkill; dead is dead, and part of the beauty of the 30-06 is it's ability to allow you to shoot whut you brung. Recoil is so light that you will think somebody switched guns with you ....speaking of recoil, try the following link to Beartooth Bullets; they have a calculator that figures recoil (among other things); all you have to do is input your bullet weight, powder charge, and fps.